Patients constantly think I'm a nurse!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PteFabulous

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The worst thing about being a clerk is that my patients never have any idea who I am! I always introduce myself as "Full Name, I'm a medical student working under Dr. whoever", but for some reason I don't think they see past the fact I'm female.

Half the time they think I'm the doctors assistant, the other half they think I'm a nurse. Its ridiculous! A lot of the time when the attending is with me he will actually correct people and say "oh actually she's a doctor", which is nice but I'm not going to introduce myself as Dr. lastname since technically I'm not a doctor yet.

I know this isn't THAT big a deal, but every now and then it really frustrates me. I can't wait until I'm a resident and can introduce myself as DR. lastname.

Anyone have similar experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Even when you CAN introduce yourself as "Dr.", some will STILL think you're a nurse. It's pretty common at all levels, although it happens to me less as an attending. Just be polite when you correct them.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The worst thing about being a clerk is that my patients never have any idea who I am! I always introduce myself as "Full Name, I'm a medical student working under Dr. whoever", but for some reason I don't think they see past the fact I'm female.

Half the time they think I'm the doctors assistant, the other half they think I'm a nurse. Its ridiculous! A lot of the time when the attending is with me he will actually correct people and say "oh actually she's a doctor", which is nice but I'm not going to introduce myself as Dr. lastname since technically I'm not a doctor yet.

I know this isn't THAT big a deal, but every now and then it really frustrates me. I can't wait until I'm a resident and can introduce myself as DR. lastname.

Anyone have similar experiences?

Who cares. Don't be one of those students who complains about the vanity of the position. The students I see around the hospital who complain about such things are usually the prissy girls or meat head guys more concerned about how they look in their white coat than their work ethic or knowledge base.

Moral here is that patients are stupid. Just work hard and focus on the things you yourself can control.

Reactions: 3 users
Try "student doctor" for now.

Good Idea! I never even thought about introducing myself like that. It sneak the word doctor into there instead of confusing people with trying to figure out what "medical" is supposed to mean.

i am very frequently referred to as a nurse even though I introduce myself as a doctor, the nurses often correct the patient. its even more fun after i have had extensive discharge conversations and then they make comments about how they never saw a doctor, or they only saw "him" for a few seconds (referring to the attending). i dont care anymore, i just chalk it up to stupidity.

i am very frequently referred to as a nurse even though I introduce myself as a doctor, the nurses often correct the patient. its even more fun after i have had extensive discharge conversations and then they make comments about how they never saw a doctor, or they only saw "him" for a few seconds (referring to the attending). i dont care anymore, i just chalk it up to stupidity.

That's pretty funny, no wonder people get frustrated with doctors, they don't even know who the doctor is half the time! Oh well...

Just correct them politely and go on with your day.
It still happens to me, though infrequently now that I'm an attending.
NOT infrequently ppl comment on how I look too young to be a doctor, even though I'm in my mid to late 30's...oh well.

I'm an intern and I get this at least once a week: "What grade are you in?" (They think I'm a high school student volunteer)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Women are like 50% of med students now i thought? You're not Rosa Parks the doctor. Gimme a break.

Maybe worry less about people recognizing your med student status in a clinical situation and more about their situation

...Chicks I swear

Women are like 50% of med students now i thought? You're not Rosa Parks the doctor. Gimme a break.

Maybe worry less about people recognizing your med student status in a clinical situation and more about their situation

...Chicks I swear

At least you're not a black guy walking into a room with a white coat on, people look at you and don't know what to think, or maybe they think you tied the real doctor up somewhere. I'm black btw.

I get annoyed when people ask what kind of nurse I'm going to be when I say I'm going to medical school :(

However I had a friend who is a black surgery resident and people think he's a tech or maintenance if he doesn't wear his white coat.

Moral of the story: lots of people are ignorant and will make unfair assumptions about u because of your race and gender. Murica

oh, it
I get annoyed when people ask what kind of nurse I'm going to be when I say I'm going to medical school :(

However I had a friend who is a black surgery resident and people think he's a tech or maintenance if he doesn't wear his white coat.

Moral of the story: lots of people are ignorant and will make unfair assumptions about u because of your race and gender. Murica

It's that cat picture again, you seem to show up in a lot of threads I post in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not even a medical student yet, but I often get comments like "Oh, what nursing school are you in?" after I tell people I'm still in school.
No- I'm in C-O-L-L-E-G-E. Studying Biology. And I don't want to be a nurse... As amazing as they are, I like to stay on the science side of medicine. It's offensive to me, not because I'm an arrogant "prissy" person, but because I don't like being thrown into a box stereotype. Woman+Scrubs=Nurse.. no.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm not even a medical student yet, but I often get comments like "Oh, what nursing school are you in?" after I tell people I'm still in school.
No- I'm in C-O-L-L-E-G-E. Studying Biology. And I don't want to be a nurse... As amazing as they are, I like to stay on the science side of medicine. It's offensive to me, not because I'm an arrogant "prissy" person, but because I don't like being thrown into a box stereotype. Woman+Scrubs=Nurse.. no.

OMG This! I'm not in medical school either tho obviously I would like to go. I thought I was the only one with this sexist experience! Sad part is I told all of my friends (my used to be friends) and they would say several months later: what do you want to go to school for again (I was in college already and they knew that) -nursing, right? they would ask me repeatedly every few months and EVERYTIME they would say- nursing right? First of all, nursing is a bachelors I majored in BIOLOGY. Drove me MAD MAD MAD. Not because I don't respect nurses as you said- but because the stereotyping is ridiculous. No matter how many times I told them they would still say nurse- even after I would discuss my plans in detail. They were guy friends, though, so that might have something to do with it. Strangers would think that too and automatically assume nurse. If I get into med school I really worry about this. However pts are very ignorant and I suppose I will have to practice patience and forgivness. when I shadowed a PA ED female all the pts thought she was a doctor- so I guess its just the (bad) luck of the draw.

OMG This! I'm not in medical school either tho obviously I would like to go. I thought I was the only one with this sexist experience! Sad part is I told all of my friends (my used to be friends) and they would say several months later: what do you want to go to school for again (I was in college already and they knew that) -nursing, right? they would ask me repeatedly every few months and EVERYTIME they would say- nursing right? First of all, nursing is a bachelors I majored in BIOLOGY. Drove me MAD MAD MAD. Not because I don't respect nurses as you said- but because the stereotyping is ridiculous. No matter how many times I told them they would still say nurse- even after I would discuss my plans in detail. They were guy friends, though, so that might have something to do with it. Strangers would think that too and automatically assume nurse. If I get into med school I really worry about this. However pts are very ignorant and I suppose I will have to practice patience and forgivness. when I shadowed a PA ED female all the pts thought she was a doctor- so I guess its just the (bad) luck of the draw.

As a male, women often stereotype me as being a "sex harasser" whereby I have to take "courses" mandated by the hospitals/colleges/etc despite never being accused/convicted of any crimes.

I am also stereotyped as "privileged" whereby I require higher MCAT scores, USMLE scores, etc to obtain the same position due to affirmative action despite having no connections and going to a public school. Somehow women who come from rich backgrounds with physician parents aren't "privileged" because they are female.

I am also told I must be a "real man" who should pay for dinner when going on dates, presume to lose custody when I get divorced (70% of divorces are initiated by women), lose my home/assets to my wife in a divorce, pay alimony (95-99% of the cases), etc.

I am also FAR MORE likely to die or get injured on the job or in the military compared to women.

It drives me MAD MAD MAD that I am "stereotyped" due to my gender despite never having issues related to this.

When are feminists going to cry about equalizing workplace deaths, child custody/alimony laws, etc? Oh wait I forgot, feminism is about getting the "good stuff" while throwing the bad stuff on those "men".

• Haha
As a male, women often stereotype me as being a "sex harasser" whereby I have to take "courses" mandated by the hospitals/colleges/etc despite never being accused/convicted of any crimes.

I am also stereotyped as "privileged" whereby I require higher MCAT scores, USMLE scores, etc to obtain the same position due to affirmative action despite having no connections and going to a public school. Somehow women who come from rich backgrounds with physician parents aren't "privileged" because they are female.

I am also told I must be a "real man" who should pay for dinner when going on dates, presume to lose custody when I get divorced (70% of divorces are initiated by women), lose my home/assets to my wife in a divorce, pay alimony (95-99% of the cases), etc.

I am also FAR MORE likely to die or get injured on the job or in the military compared to women.

It drives me MAD MAD MAD that I am "stereotyped" due to my gender despite never having issues related to this.

When are feminists going to cry about equalizing workplace deaths, child custody/alimony laws, etc? Oh wait I forgot, feminism is about getting the "good stuff" while throwing the bad stuff on those "men".

It sounds to me that you took my comment offensively to men and are are defensive- as if somehow I implicitly stated that men do not have struggles due to their gender. That was not my attention and I'm sorry if you took it that way. I was merely connecting with another woman's experiences as the power of human connection is strengthening and uplifting. Some men think women sharing sexist stories is automatically saying women matter more than men. This was not my attention. You are also forcing me into the stereotype of a feminist by stating "when are feminists going to cry about......" which implies that you believe I do not care about the issues you just stated because I am a feminist. I want to respectfully state that you do not know me and couldn't possibly know what I support/don't support. My post was a connection to someone not an outcry for equal rights- me sharing with another woman on SDN is not going to get public coverage and change the world. I am saddened that both men and women must experience injustices in their life- and I hope it will one day improve. Be well.

Interestingly, when I was an intern rounding in the Neurocritical Care unit with my male senior resident, the patient thought HE was a nurse because he wasn't wearing a white coat and I was. We had a giggle about that.

Unfortunately, it doesn't get better. As an attending, patients frequently call me by my first name, comment on my appearance and clothes, assume the male medical student with me is the doctor even though he looks 15, seem startled and surprised when they see me and may even comment "I expected a male doctor".

Reactions: 2 users
It sounds to me that you took my comment offensively to men and are are defensive- as if somehow I implicitly stated that men do not have struggles due to their gender. That was not my attention and I'm sorry if you took it that way. I was merely connecting with another woman's experiences as the power of human connection is strengthening and uplifting. Some men think women sharing sexist stories is automatically saying women matter more than men. This was not my attention. You are also forcing me into the stereotype of a feminist by stating "when are feminists going to cry about......" which implies that you believe I do not care about the issues you just stated because I am a feminist. I want to respectfully state that you do not know me and couldn't possibly know what I support/don't support. My post was a connection to someone not an outcry for equal rights- me sharing with another woman on SDN is not going to get public coverage and change the world. I am saddened that both men and women must experience injustices in their life- and I hope it will one day improve. Be well.

I took it that way because I will hear 24/7 about "male privilege" and "oppressed" white women in the media/academia/etc.

Yet from my experience, this supposed oppression appears to be far outweighed by the benefits of Affirmative Action in business/academia, workplace death discrepancies, cancer research differences between men/women, selective service discrepancies, etc.

When you look at the totality of the situation, women appear to be far more privileged (particularly White women) than basically anyone else outside of rich/billionaire/powerfully connected White males.

For the other 99% of males, they are on the short end of the "oppression" stick.

I have sympathy with her plight on a human level but I become concerned with this constant victim narrative that isn't congruent with real world data.

I've realized patients don't know what clerk, intern, and residents even are. There's just nurse and doctor in their mind, so if you aren't a doctor then you must be a nurse. Not so much a gender thing, rather they are just clueless.

I've realized patients don't know what clerk, intern, and residents even are. There's just nurse and doctor in their mind, so if you aren't a doctor then you must be a nurse. Not so much a gender thing, rather they are just clueless.

Correct but whining about oppression pays far better/gives more perks to the "victim" then just writing it off as a clueless person who doesn't know jack about medicine.

Correct but whining about oppression pays far better/gives more perks to the "victim" then just writing it off as a clueless person who doesn't know jack about medicine.

I understand your beef with third wave feminism. But, like Skywalker, search your feelings and just appreciate the essence of her post. If you were the CEO in a company, but constantly kept getting mistaken for the coffee guy due to a characteristic you can't control (gender in this case), you'd be annoyed because it would mess with your sense of fairness (I sense a lot of MRA tenets in your posts so presumably you put a great deal of stock in being fair and equal in treatment and consequence). You worked hard to get to be CEO, and I don't care if you have the patience of a saint, having assumptions made about you on a regular basis would eventually piss you off. Perhaps you'd even voice your displeasure on an Internet site for CEOs. And then some jerk would come along and say you're being whiny. Helpful to anyone? I could buy your argument about patients being clueless about med students etc, but this happens even to attendings. It happens more than you can imagine. Just like if you as the hypothetical CEO walked into a conference room and a new board member went, "could you get me a black coffee, two sugars" before you opened your mouth.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I understand your beef with third wave feminism etc, I'm no fan of victim mentality. But, like Skywalker, search your feelings and just appreciate the essence of her post. If you were the CEO in a company, but constantly kept getting mistaken for the coffee guy due to a characteristic you can't control (gender in this case), you'd be annoyed because it would mess with your sense of fairness (I sense a lot of MRA tenets in your posts so presumably you put a great deal of stock in being fair and equal in treatment and consequence). You worked hard to get to be CEO, and I don't care if you have the patience of a saint, having assumptions made about you on a regular basis would eventually piss you off. Perhaps you'd even voice your displeasure on an Internet site for CEOs. And then some jerk would come along and say you're being whiny. Helpful to anyone? I could buy your argument about patients being clueless about med students etc, but this happens to me even as an attending. I walk into a room in scrubs to meet a patient for the first time (I'm an orthopaedic surgeon) and the patient is on the phone. They say to the person on the line, "hang on, I have to go, the nurse just came in." I haven't said anything to them yet; they make the call simply based on my gender and appearance. It happens more than you can imagine, and while I move on from it quite easily, it is still annoying. Just like if you as the hypothetical CEO walked into a conference room and a new board member went, "could you get me a black coffee, two sugars" before you opened your mouth.

I hear you but in the totality of the oppression olympics the men are doing worse.

Let's compare:

Men don't have affirmative action to business/academia, men are less prevalent in college, men have far higher death rate at work, due younger, etc.

Women are considered a nurse once in awhile.

P.s. I am a male physician who was mistaken for a pa today by a female administrative assistant. Was she sexist? Happens more than you realize but I don't complain.

Men make up 90% of the prison population, is that sexist? No because men commit more crimes. Black men are over-represented in the prison population but that must be because of racism. See the lack of logical thinking here? Third wave feminism is that same brain dead nonsense but even to a greater degree. 90% of the US believes in equal rights between men and women, but less that 15% identify as feminists. That statistic tells us that feminism isn't actually about equality but rather victim culture, and 75% of the population sees right through it.

Same thing with STEAM careers and women being underrepresented. Women living in other countries go into these careers at a higher rate. Why? Because they have to to make a good living. In the United States women have the luxury of doing what they enjoy and it turns out not many women want to code programs for some tech company. Instead they all seem to be in nursing, social work, psychology, etc. The simple fact is women don't make the choices that feminists want them to make.

Anyways I'm not trying to say that the OP is some wacky feminist but surely you have realized by now that the general population has the IQ of a potato... so I'm not sure why you even care, and you aren't even a doctor anyways.

Last edited:
Men make up 90% of the prison population, is that sexist? No because men commit more crimes. Black men are over-represented in the prison population but that must be because of racism. See the lack of logical thinking here? Third wave feminism is that same brain dead nonsense but even to a greater degree. 90% of the US believes in equal rights between men and women, but less that 15% identify as feminists. That statistic tells us that feminism isn't actually about equality but rather victim culture, and 75% of the population sees right through it.

Same thing with STEAM careers and women being underrepresented. Women living in other countries go into these careers at a higher rate. Why? Because they have to to make a good living. In the United States women have the luxury of doing what they enjoy and it turns out not many women want to code programs for some tech company. Instead they all seem to be in nursing, social work, psychology, etc. The simple fact is women don't make the choices that feminists want them to make.

Anyways I'm not trying to say that the OP is some wacky feminist but surely you have realized by now that the general population has the IQ of a potato... so I'm not sure why you even care, and you aren't even a doctor anyways.

The problem with feminism in general whether we want to frame it as "third wave feminism" or not is the fact that it is largely a pro female advocacy movement masquerading as an "equality" movement.

The reality is that feminism has morphed (if it EVER was about equality in the first place?) into a movement where rights are to be conferred onto females without responsibilities while subsequently decreasing male rights and increasing their responsibilities.

The feminist policy of discrimination against males is justified by the "evil patriarchy" that has to be "overcome". This justifies open discrimination against men in business/academia/divorce court/child support/child custody/etc. Interestingly, this "patriarchy" will always exist even when women make >60% of college graduates, 50% of med students, etc.

In fact, "patriarchy" will always "exist" to allow for a justification for female privilege EVEN in positions they are already strongly advantaged in.

They also use the myth of the "apex fallacy" whereby they only look at the TOP MALES and cry about his "privilege" while ignoring the other 99.9% of men. They will incessantly cry about "white male privilege" when comparing themselves to the billionaire (very rare) but NEVER want to trade places with plumbers/electricians/janitors/etc.

Ergo, its largely a female supremacy movement to give women benefits while removing risk/responsibility. Once you look at it in that manner, you can more accurately assess their position on almost any issue.

That is why trivial issues such as "I was called a nurse" by a patient is AMPED UP to obtain further privilege while crying they are a "victim".

Can I cry incessantly that I was called a PA yesterday by a female administrative assistant despite being a physician? Can I obtain privilege/demands when I was confused as a nurse during residency as well (yes IT HAPPENED to me a few times during residency)?

Oh thats right, I'm male, so we will just ignore it and not be allowed to whine about it.

Last edited:
I don't think posting something about being annoyed at being called a nurse is "amped up" or "crying incessantly." You're the one going into a women's forum on SDN and complaining about the post, btw. (Also you're largely ignoring that patriarchal systematic oppression is very much alive and well--just not in the US.) Third wave feminism is full of wackos, but that's not what it was always like and certainly not what all the movement represents now. I suggest you take a look at the work of Christina Hoff Sommers, "the factual feminist." She is on YouTube. I think you can certainly complain about being mistaken for a PA, but I doubt the mistake was made because of your gender. Anyway, I'm digressing. The OP has a right to be pissed.

Please show me substantive evidence for this "patriarchal oppression" in the Western World? Surely, if we look a Saudi Arabia there is a "patriarchy", however, feminists are amazingly SILENT about that issue.

I can show you SUBSTANTIAL evidence for preference give to women in business/academia/family courts/etc. Ergo, the argument for a matriarchy rather than patriarchy can be show through the facts.

I know Christina Hoff Summers very well. She is very intelligent and honest about true feminism that doesn't call for overt preference and quotas and she has admitted that is has gone too far the other way.

I particularly support her discussions about the "war against boys": http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2000/05/the-war-against-boys/304659/

The OP had a "right" to be angry but much of this "anger" is basically attempting to show victim status that will confer preference on the female. Lets be honest about this.

I don't think posting something about being annoyed at being called a nurse is "amped up" or "crying incessantly." You're the one going into a women's forum on SDN and complaining about the post, btw. (Also you're largely ignoring that patriarchal systematic oppression is very much alive and well--just not in the US.) Third wave feminism is full of wackos, but that's not what it was always like and certainly not what all the movement represents now. I suggest you take a look at the work of Christina Hoff Sommers, "the factual feminist." She is on YouTube. I think you can certainly complain about being mistaken for a PA, but I doubt the mistake was made because of your gender. Anyway, I'm digressing. The OP has a right to be pissed.

I suggest watching "REKT Feminist Videos" on Youtube, lmao

Read my original post. I said "just not in the US."
And I still don't see evidence that the OP is trying to show victim status.

Yet the complaints from women on this website appear to never be about Saudi Arabia or Qatar, only about "evil white male oppressors" basically in the Western world.

If you were arguing about women's conditions in the Middle East/Africa/Asia/Latin America, then maybe I would give credence to this stuff.

However, the vast majority arguments about "oppression" come from PRIVILEGED (usually upper middle class) White females crying about first world problems while ignoring the vast amount of preference they receive compared to their male colleagues.

You appear to be under the false notion that feminism was made to help alleviate "oppression" of women throughout the world.

The true purpose of feminism in the Western world is to make White middle class/upper middle class women more PRIVILEGED while crying about their "victim" status while only nominally talking about real oppression for non white/Western women.

Uh, because this is a site for healthcare professionals, not a political discussion board. And she didn't talk about "white male" oppression. You're projecting. And btw, original feminists campaigned for suffrage, the lack of which was indeed a form of oppression. So thanks for the explanation, but I'm pretty sure I know what first wave feminism was intended for. Chill out and go back to RoK.

Possibly that was the reason for "first wave feminism" but it has morphed in the monster that I describe above.

No she didn't "say" it overtly but strongly implies it in the tone of the complaining.

Many of the posts are about the "evil good old boy network" which usually equals "evil good old white boy network" if you haven't been reading the posts.

If the posts were more about "how can I survive with children in med school/residency" or stuff like that, I wouldn't say anything about it.

However, many of the posts are about things such as:

1) "Women are better docs"
2) "Women are underpaid compared to men for equivalent work"
3) "Why am I being called a nurse" implying sexist patients
4) "Can I get into med school with low MCAT scores because im a woman"

All of these posts are strongly implying (if not outright saying) women are being oppressed by some evil patriarchy and are a "victim class" that should be given "help" to overcome these obstacles at the expense of the men.

Notice how even in this post it is admitted the MALE physician with her defends her as being a "doctor" as well but it just isn't enough to overcome the burden of terrible sexist patients.

Last edited:
Haha, I have never faced any such experience...

Don't mind. These silly thing will continue everytime. Male doctors also may face with some misnamings, racist behaviours, or even disdainings during their careers. For example, several people thought that I was working in rural hospital because I don't have enough knowledge to work in central. Most patients think that there is a qualification and better doctors chosen for big cities. While I see this type of people I just kindly accept that I am unskilful to fulfill requirements to provide them enough care and send them to the city they want. Thus I can focus on my patients who want to evaluated at my hospital.

So my advice: while they call you as nurse before graduation don't tire yourself, just do your business and go. After started your residency remind them you are a doctor, in a kind way. And remind to yourself that they are patients, even though they may be a illiterate, sometimes rude, or even stupit.

As a highly educated Nurse Practitioner who is working on her doctorate at Vanderbilt University, I feel I need to express my thoughts about your post. I am very proud of my profession, just as each of you should be. I have a great deal of respect for the various professionals especially those who has obtained their doctorate. So, this is not the start a war between professions, but I need to say there are much worse things to be mistaken to be than a Nurse. I have two masters degrees and Have completed over 140 graduate semester hours and before I finish I will have a boy 30 more. I have 30 years of experience in healthcare and I really wish that Med Students and other healthcare professionals were informed of how educated, experienced many nurses are.
Even LPN's are intensely trained, not unlike the intensity of a year of med school. Medical Students are trained and educated differently than nurses, but they both are educated in science and evidence based practice. In order to obtain entrance in to nursing program within a college, there are many obstacles, including completing microbiology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, anatomy and physiology 1 & 2, nutrition, and more. They must make excellent grades and score high on an entrance exam just to get in the program. Then they must take an exam and score high enough to get in and they compete with many applicants. The wait lists are often a year to two years long. RN students have many difficult and challenging courses in health alterations, pharmacology, human development, care planning and emergency care of patients. If they choose to continue their education, most Nurse Practitioner education programs(which are graduate level programs, post BSN) require nurses to have experience in their specialty area. Nurses at all levels are required to understand human biology, chemistry, anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, and knowledge of the disease process, signs and symptoms of disease, treatment of disease and prevention of disease.
While taken their courses, they have to complete hundreds of clinical hours so they can apply their knowledge to real patient situations. They must pass a very challenging national exam before obtaining their license. Nurses are usually the first ones to catch a medication error and to observe the patient for any signs of distress. Nurses are trained on medication interaction with food and other meds. Nurses are trained to only give medications that they are familiar with and what a typical dose or side effect might be. They must know all the the processes and procedures for the area they work in order to help the physician.
So while Medical students are still learning about chemistry, anatomy, and other sciences, a nurse working on a BSN is already working with patients. If a nurse decides to be a nurse practitioner then she or he is required to have nursing experience in their specialty area before being admitted at most schools. Many continue to work in the field while completing their program. They take courses in advanced pharmacology, advanced health assessment skills, and depending on the specialty they take other courses that involve courses directly related to their specialty. They are very challenging courses and in order to be accepted into a program, grades must be very high. The schools are very competitive and the national exam is challenging.
Nurse practitioners focus on holistic care, health promotion and prevention of disease. They focus on treating the patient as a whole, including environmental considerations, including but not limited to meds that are affordable and realistic treatment expectations for the individual and their families. They spend about 600 hours under a preceptor after completing their other graduate courses and often while working as a nurse within their specialty as well. Now many states require nurses to complete a doctoral level program. So please, next time someone mistakes a medical student a nurse, be proud. LPN's and RN's are patient advocates and they are highly educated and train and they play a crucial role on your healthcare team.
There are more than one type of Doctorate degree, so, like your patients don't understand, it is apparent that many health professionals don't realize that nurses can have a doctorate degree as well. When medical students graduate, they will be physicians who have the degree of Medical Doctor, just like a nurse with a doctorate degree is called a Doctor of Nursing Practice. This of course is no different than psychologist or a physical therapist who have achieved that degree. So as I respect the medical profession, Please respect other professions as well.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Did you just equivocate LPNs and med students on rotations? I really like the nurses I work with but that's not a realistic statement

Reactions: 2 users
As a highly educated Nurse Practitioner who is working on her doctorate at Vanderbilt University, I feel I need to express my thoughts about your post. I am very proud of my profession, just as each of you should be. I have a great deal of respect for the various professionals especially those who has obtained their doctorate. So, this is not the start a war between professions, but I need to say there are much worse things to be mistaken to be than a Nurse. I have two masters degrees and Have completed over 140 graduate semester hours and before I finish I will have a boy 30 more. I have 30 years of experience in healthcare and I really wish that Med Students and other healthcare professionals were informed of how educated, experienced many nurses are.
Even LPN's are intensely trained, not unlike the intensity of a year of med school. Medical Students are trained and educated differently than nurses, but they both are educated in science and evidence based practice. In order to obtain entrance in to nursing program within a college, there are many obstacles, including completing microbiology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, anatomy and physiology 1 & 2, nutrition, and more. They must make excellent grades and score high on an entrance exam just to get in the program. Then they must take an exam and score high enough to get in and they compete with many applicants. The wait lists are often a year to two years long. RN students have many difficult and challenging courses in health alterations, pharmacology, human development, care planning and emergency care of patients. If they choose to continue their education, most Nurse Practitioner education programs(which are graduate level programs, post BSN) require nurses to have experience in their specialty area. Nurses at all levels are required to understand human biology, chemistry, anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, and knowledge of the disease process, signs and symptoms of disease, treatment of disease and prevention of disease.
While taken their courses, they have to complete hundreds of clinical hours so they can apply their knowledge to real patient situations. They must pass a very challenging national exam before obtaining their license. Nurses are usually the first ones to catch a medication error and to observe the patient for any signs of distress. Nurses are trained on medication interaction with food and other meds. Nurses are trained to only give medications that they are familiar with and what a typical dose or side effect might be. They must know all the the processes and procedures for the area they work in order to help the physician.
So while Medical students are still learning about chemistry, anatomy, and other sciences, a nurse working on a BSN is already working with patients. If a nurse decides to be a nurse practitioner then she or he is required to have nursing experience in their specialty area before being admitted at most schools. Many continue to work in the field while completing their program. They take courses in advanced pharmacology, advanced health assessment skills, and depending on the specialty they take other courses that involve courses directly related to their specialty. They are very challenging courses and in order to be accepted into a program, grades must be very high. The schools are very competitive and the national exam is challenging.
Nurse practitioners focus on holistic care, health promotion and prevention of disease. They focus on treating the patient as a whole, including environmental considerations, including but not limited to meds that are affordable and realistic treatment expectations for the individual and their families. They spend about 600 hours under a preceptor after completing their other graduate courses and often while working as a nurse within their specialty as well. Now many states require nurses to complete a doctoral level program. So please, next time someone mistakes a medical student a nurse, be proud. LPN's and RN's are patient advocates and they are highly educated and train and they play a crucial role on your healthcare team.
There are more than one type of Doctorate degree, so, like your patients don't understand, it is apparent that many health professionals don't realize that nurses can have a doctorate degree as well. When medical students graduate, they will be physicians who have the degree of Medical Doctor, just like a nurse with a doctorate degree is called a Doctor of Nursing Practice. This of course is no different than psychologist or a physical therapist who have achieved that degree. So as I respect the medical profession, Please respect other professions as well.

Well you do have a great point that often gets ignored---being mistaken for a nurse isn't bad, in itself. You guys are professionals and I don't think anyone would argue that--I'm sure if a PT, RT, teacher, accountant, or other non-gender-segregated specialty were mistaken for a nurse, she wouldn't mind. But I don't think that was actually OP's issue though....rather, what she is trying to say is that gender stereotypes are precluding her from being identified as a doctor (Doctor=male, nurse=female). What she is being stereotyped to be is secondary--I think if the context were appropriate, she'd feel the same way if someone mistook her for anesthesia and she was a surgeon...both MDs but one is very gender-skewed.

Reactions: 3 users

First, thanks for your comments from the eyes of a well-trained Nurse Practitioner.

Getting annoyed from "called as a nurse everytime" is no offence against the profession. For instance, being a bell-boy is not bad. There are very classy bell-boys out there. But if someone calls you "Mr bell-boy can you help me please", you just say "I am not a bell-boy, I am a nurse". Being a good bell-boy is something to be proud of, like being a good surgeon or doctor or nurse or driver or any other profession. So being a good man is good in itself. On the other hand, there is nothing to be proud of when you called a nurse. It is just a profession, it has some good or bad people doing that job.

At my hospital where I trained, a patient complained about only seeing the attending once, the patient thought the PA student was the attending bc he was the only white male, the attending was a minority and the senior resident was a woman.

I hear you but in the totality of the oppression olympics the men are doing worse.

Let's compare:

Men don't have affirmative action to business/academia, men are less prevalent in college, men have far higher death rate at work, due younger, etc.

Women are considered a nurse once in awhile.

P.s. I am a male physician who was mistaken for a pa today by a female administrative assistant. Was she sexist? Happens more than you realize but I don't complain.

Why are you all over in the Women in Healthcare forum? How about you leave this forum to the women? Your posts on every thread are sexist and unhelpful. Clearly not what women are coming to this forum for.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 8 users
In a strange turn of events, I had a family last night on my shift who the little boys were calling me a nurse, and the mom corrected them, "No, she's the doctor". Then when I brought in some juice and crackers for them, she said something along the lines of 'you shouldn't do that, you're the doctor, not the nurse' (my nurse was busy with a couple of discharges, and I'm perfectly capable of getting some drinks for a patient).

It was a nice change from the 'oh, my nurse is here' or 'when are we actually going to see the doctor?' mentality I get in lots of my patient rooms.

Reactions: 7 users
This is an old thread, but since it's back, I'd like to point out that, as a prototypical blond haired blue eyed athletic white male, when I tell patients I am applying to medical school, at least 80% of them ask if I'm going to be a nurse or a PA.

Patients are ignorant of the medical field, not necessarily sexist.

This is all so true. What does a Dr look like anyway? EVERY time I am in a new area I get approached by a nurse to sign something--usually it's day 2 or 3. Never day 1 because I introduced myself as student on that day. It used to be super awkward but now I'm pretty good at it. I say something like "No problem, I will text Dr.X and let her know--you need her to sign the consent. Anything else?" I don't bother explaining. No sense in making anyone feel bad. I really think these mistakes are innocent. When people feel embarrassed they don't learn from the mistake. If you handle these misidentifications well you help people learn.

When people feel embarrassed they don't learn from the mistake. If you handle these misidentifications well you help people learn.

I'm not sure I agree with that statement. The sessions with attendings I've learned most from are those where I said an answer wrong and was promptly corrected--I felt embarrassment, but I learned. Most people feel embarrassed when you correct them, however you correct them. Even if it was gentle. If you don't correct someone, they aren't going to change their behavior.

That's a very valid point that most people learn from embarrassment. I sort of messed up the whole thing unfortunately. I was surprised when I read your claim so I did some research.

Now i know: Humans vary tremendously when it comes to embarrassment/shame/learning. Most people learn quite well when embarrassed (I had no idea!). Some people do not--they panic instead. I'm in the second group, and I incorrectly assumed this was the norm. When I get pimped I panic. Of course, the physical reaction takes a few seconds so I can answer the question. Within seconds, I feel hot and my face turns red. I get palpitations. The blushing is obvious.

For the sake of clarity: pimping is only one form of verbal assessment. It was intentionally designed to embarrass quickly because of the phenomenon you mentioned--it helps most people learn.

Fortunately for people like me, it is common knowledge that it doesn't work on everyone. I have never been pimped twice by the same attending. After the first time they just ask me questions without the show. For specifics, check out The Art of Pimping.

Thank you for correcting me. I learned a lot from this.

Who cares. Don't be one of those students who complains about the vanity of the position. The students I see around the hospital who complain about such things are usually the prissy girls or meat head guys more concerned about how they look in their white coat than their work ethic or knowledge base.

Moral here is that patients are stupid. Just work hard and focus on the things you yourself can control.

I fully agree with you. There is no need to think about this. The main focus should be on your hard work for this time because in future no one will remember about such incidents but when you will achieve something, that will be remembered by everyone. So, concentrate on your work and on your learning to achieve the name of "Successful Doctor".

Fortunately for people like me, it is common knowledge that it doesn't work on everyone. I have never been pimped twice by the same attending. After the first time they just ask me questions without the show. For specifics, check out The Art of Pimping.

I'm not sure I follow your line of thought, and I haven't read The Art of Pimping, so bear with me. What is the difference between 'pimping' and 'asking questions without the show'? My attendings, with a few exceptions, aren't aggressive in their questions--they truly want to teach and find that the only way to know what we don't know is to start asking questions, and then teach when they finally ask questions that we don't know the answers to.

Pimping is in the eye of the beholder, i think. Some students are very intimidated by questions. Others expect that as part of their education. I think overly aggressive questioning without giving the student time to think is considered "pimping..."...the line is thin.

What is the difference between 'pimping' and 'asking questions without the show'?

Questions without the show are not aggressive. When you answer correctly you may get "are you sure?" but eventually you find out you were right. If you answer wrong, you may get more questions that help you see your error. The whole point of this process is to teach you to be a better doctor. If a group is being questioned generally anyone in the group can answer. Some attendings even let the group mumble together before braving the answer. This is teaching, not pimping. This is what most most attendings do.

Pimping is less common. It's more likely to be done by a fellow or resident. Occasionally an attending will do it--but it's much milder and likely to be in surgery.

It is the "show" that lets the student know that they are inferior. (As if we don't already know it). It's gathering a group, singling a student out, then asking a question. When the student answers the pimper either asks another question, ignores the student or proceeds to ridicule the student. Other people are invited to join this sport. Pimping responses I heard were:
"did you go into med school because plumbing was too tricky?"
"i hope you're going into psychiatry"
"I thought you were smarter than these img's" with gesture (i'm an img, but rotate with amg's)
"I thought you were smarter than these girls" with gesture
Obnoxious laughter followed by "that is the most ridiculous answer i have ever heard--How did you pass step 1? how is your school still accredited."

i got that last one for answering "magnetic sphincter" when a fellow asked me "what options might be considered for treatment-resistant gerd?" He retold the story several times with me standing there humiliated. No less than ten people laughed at me--including other fellows, a resident, and several students. The person to decide i was sufficiently humiliated was an attending. The fellow told about my stupid answer DURING A SURGERY. the attending said "It's less common than a nissen." but he didn't call me stupid. He just asked me to describe pro's and con's. Then who might not be a good candidate for magnetic sphincter. I didn't know it--he told me "morbidly obese." This didn't embarrass me, but I remember it.

I seriously hate pimping. It is terribly confusing--did it help me remember? It helped me remember that i am the mumbler who gives the answer to another student. The only times I have answered in a group since then were the times the attending said "i heard you already, just say it so everyone can hear."

Personally, I won't pimp. It's not nice.