Patients or Customers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

star777

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which is the proper way to refer to individuals that come to the pharmacy for prescriptions, etc.? Patients or customers? Which is used more often? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

patient is what we were taught in school
but i think it depends on your mindset

star777 said:
Which is the proper way to refer to individuals that come to the pharmacy for prescriptions, etc.? Patients or customers?

That was one of the interview questions for Creighton's pharmacy program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say it is both. a patient is always a customer since the vast majority pay for their patientness

patients
i am bound by the same confidentiality clause as a medical doctor or nurse , to my patients

even though the federal government considers pharmacists "vendors" rather than health care providers

theres a question... do you think that status will ever be changed?
ie the federal government viewing us as providers rather than "vendors"

i guess you could say they are customers in order to become patients ...so patient is a more specific (and therefore correct?>) subset of "customer"

gablet said:
That was one of the interview questions for Creighton's pharmacy program.

i had this question too and thought it was very interesting, but I dont think they liked my answer and put me on the wait list. As the motto for my hosptial says, patients first!

if you are asked this in an interview....
the answer is patient

banana.... what do they tell you in school about this... it was a huge deal all 3 years of didactic learning.

According to my professor, he calls them "clients".