Pattern folding question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mx41

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
20100810_graduate_dat_pic.gif

The answer is B, but can someone explain why it is not D also? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

its because u have to fold inwards for pattern folding, there is no way to get structures C or D because the white zig zag piece wont be on the side as u see on C or D, it will be on the other side like in A or B

"its because u have to fold inwards for pattern folding,"

So is the rule you fold so that you are bending the fold marks TOWARDS the plane of the screen as opposed to folding the bend marks OUT of the screen of the paper?

I have been wondering about this for awhile. Can someone please confirm this? I haven't found anything from the usual instructions or ADA website.

Members don't see this ad :)
"its because u have to fold inwards for pattern folding,"

So is the rule you fold so that you are bending the fold marks TOWARDS the plane of the screen as opposed to folding the bend marks OUT of the screen of the paper?

I have been wondering about this for awhile. Can someone please confirm this? I haven't found anything from the usual instructions or ADA website.

It's pattern folding. You can't assume that the pattern on the underside (which would be the outside if you fold up) will be the same as it is on the top side. There's a notable lack of contradictory evidence of any sort, so just take it as is and eliminate backward folds.

The object in D can never face that direction

Wait, why not?? Just fold the top (yellow) part down while the white base part stays put. The yellow base wraps BEHIND the white base. works for me

Wait, why not?? Just fold the top (yellow) part down while the white base part stays put. The yellow base wraps BEHIND the white base. works for me

If you're wrapping the yellow side under the white base, the white base still cannot be oriented as it is in D.

20100810_graduate_dat_pic.gif

The answer is B, but can someone explain why it is not D also? Thanks!

D is the answer if your looking at it from the back, Since we're looking at the front view then it should be yellow in the front.

D is the answer if your looking at it from the back, Since we're looking at the front view then it should be yellow in the front.

Not quite the figures always fold away from the viewer. The reason is because that way all of the sections are visible still from any view. If you try to fold it towards you, i.e. to get "D" the identical yellow section would be folded so it is enclosed in the figure and thereby no longer visible. Because we are not shown what it on the opposite side of that yellow section we would have no idea what it would look like.

So "D" cannot be the answer because if the white was on the front it would be facing the opposite direction.

Not quite the figures always fold away from the viewer. The reason is because that way all of the sections are visible still from any view. If you try to fold it towards you, i.e. to get "D" the identical yellow section would be folded so it is enclosed in the figure and thereby no longer visible. Because we are not shown what it on the opposite side of that yellow section we would have no idea what it would look like.

So "D" cannot be the answer because if the white was on the front it would be facing the opposite direction.

Yes, I know folding away, just saying that D is the Answer if you are looking from the back of it.

noooooo. D is NOT what it would look like from the back. D WOULD be the answer if you folded OUT of the screen. but that is wrong. fold in

You are always folding away from you? Never knew this, I always thought you can fold it any way as long as it all fits.

You are always folding away from you? Never knew this, I always thought you can fold it any way as long as it all fits.

You can fold and rotate it any way you want as long as, if you imagine the shape as an actual piece of paper, you keep the side you see on the outside. The easiest way to describe this process is to fold away from you, so as to keep the visible side on the outside. Once you do that it's up to you to visualize how the 3D object looks from all perspectives.