Pay a professional to revise your essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

annabelle.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey does anyone know anything about services where you pay a professional to look over your personal statement and suggest changes?

Members don't see this ad.

I paid Essay Edge. I thought it was helpful... but not amazingly so. If you are not pinched for money it is probably a good thing, but, based on my experience most people would be fine without it.

Honestly, I was skeptical of these services. I tried a couple of them in the past. I then tried www.essayrx.com and I was surprised because my editor was smart, talented, and he had been through the medical school process. I think he might be in or just starting medical school, but he has an advance degree in another area. So, they hooked me up with an editor that was compatible and knew the process, not just an English major.

But I went with them because of the price, they were cheapest that I found. I think I spent 60 or 70 bucks. He kept my voice, just helped me to clarify the main points and smoothed it out for me. So, if you use them, ask for Mr. Wanger. A friend of mine who applied to law school used this service last year and loved them. They also invite us to keep in touch. They're not a big company, but I'd always recommend them. I also like the fact that they aren't saying all their editors are Harvard or Yale graduates. I'm not an Ivy league graduate and I think I'm smart. To me, that's just a ploy. I don't think the brightest people out there are exclusively at the Ivies.

Oh, the flip side, I think if you have access to an English professor or friend that writes well and knows the process then you can save your money.

Members don't see this ad :)
SpiritualDuck,

I agree with you. I also used www.essayrx.com I think you pm'ed about them last year. Mr. Wanger is great. My cousin went to school with him. I've emailed him a few times. I hate to ruin the illusion for you. He is a Harvard graduate. Being a Harvard student myself, I can tell you it doesn't matter. My close friend is at Rutgers and he's super bright, one of the smartest guys I know.

I think if you want to use a service, then use this one. I didn't care about the price. So, they're cheaper, big deal. My concern was not losing my voice and and I didn't want a canned essay. I also used them for my LOI. Also, Mr. Wanger is not in school yet. He's starting this fall. He's been working as a writer and has a graduate degree in something, I can't remember what.

But if money is an issue, save it and get a friend to help you. Many of us on here are willing to give feedback. I'm just so glad that all of this is behind me.

just go to your english lit department and let a couple profs go through it. it's free and they're just as educated as the people you pay for.

I agree with Starcraft. Don't waste your money.

see a good lit professor, or your premed advisor might be able to point you towards some other good professors. imho paying someone to edit your ps is :thumbdown:

Stay away from the " essay services", adcoms are pretty sharp when reading your ps. Especially if you're lucky enough to get an interview, they'll compare your responses to what/how it was written. Use the lit dept/profs and your own style. Be genuine and interesting, not melodramatic. Make yourself stand out from the rest.

:)

i need to write a LOI to help get off a weightling list. I have heard from several people the format it should be, but I wanted to make sure if you guys agree on it.

Explain whats great about the school, and how you as student will be a good match with them and then explain to them how you would beg and do anything to get in. Along those lines??

LOI need to be direct and honest. Don't hold any punches. Make it clear that you want to attend their school and if given the chance, you will attend. Be specific and keep the letter tight, to about one page. Don't cover ground that has already been covered in your application before.

And to redirect my thoughts about essay services, I think they can help because you get feedback from people that deal with essays for applications. These aren't your typical essays, because these people recognize that our readers will only give them a cursory reading. English professors don't know what our readers want and might be looking for. A good editor will keep your voice. A good editor won't write your essay. They'll only help you craft it. Getting into medical school is tough, so I think we should take advantage of every opportunity we can. Many people are against editing services. And that is because you can't be sure that you're getting a good editor, especially with the really large editing companies. So, find one you like and stick with him or her. If you have a friend that is good, then use that person.

But it can only help you to have an editor. It can't hurt. What's 70 bucks more, we're already spending thousands. The worse that can happen is that you don't like the changes. But I've always been happy with my editor.