Pay for School?

Started by joeDO2
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

joeDO2

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm sure this question has been discussed before but I can't seem to find it....

I was fortunate enough to be able to save money before medical school so that I now have the ability to pay for it without taking loans (if I want to). My question- is that a good idea or should I just take the loans? The federal ones are 6.8% but privates are around 3.5-4.5% (I have good credit). I guess the benefits to just paying it is I can graduate and feel good about being debt free, however I'm not sure this is the right financial move. If I take the loans I can deduct the interest in the future and then also have the money to use for a down-payment, etc. I sort of like the idea of having something in the bank for security and paying the school would basically deplete that.
 
I'm sure this question has been discussed before but I can't seem to find it....

I was fortunate enough to be able to save money before medical school so that I now have the ability to pay for it without taking loans (if I want to). My question- is that a good idea or should I just take the loans? The federal ones are 6.8% but privates are around 3.5-4.5% (I have good credit). I guess the benefits to just paying it is I can graduate and feel good about being debt free, however I'm not sure this is the right financial move. If I take the loans I can deduct the interest in the future and then also have the money to use for a down-payment, etc. I sort of like the idea of having something in the bank for security and paying the school would basically deplete that.

I would just pay for school. Think of it as a guaranteed 3.5-4.5% return on your money. You will only be able to deduct student loan interest during residency because you can't deduct any after household income is over 150k. The max deduction is 2500 per year even if income under 60 individual/120 joint.