Pay scale for those who change specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mackie

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it based on actual PGY level, or is the pay the same as that of your peers?

For example:
If someone starts out as a surgery resident, and after HO2 year of surgery, decides to change to internal medicine, this person will have to repeat intern year, but they are technically a PGY-3. So, are they paid what other PGY-3's are making, or are they paid what other interns are making (and therefore PGY-1 scale pay)?

One other example, as the answers may vary:
What if someone completes residency in internal medicine, and is out in practice for whatever number of years, and then decide to go back to do another residency? Will they be paid the same as their peers, or will they be paid more because their PGY year is greater AND they have a license in another specialty already?

I would love to hear from folks who are in this position or know someone directly who is. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

mackie said:
Is it based on actual PGY level, or is the pay the same as that of your peers?

For example:
If someone starts out as a surgery resident, and after HO2 year of surgery, decides to change to internal medicine, this person will have to repeat intern year, but they are technically a PGY-3. So, are they paid what other PGY-3's are making, or are they paid what other interns are making (and therefore PGY-1 scale pay)?

One other example, as the answers may vary:
What if someone completes residency in internal medicine, and is out in practice for whatever number of years, and then decide to go back to do another residency? Will they be paid the same as their peers, or will they be paid more because their PGY year is greater AND they have a license in another specialty already?

I would love to hear from folks who are in this position or know someone directly who is. Thanks!

can't speak for every program, but my experience is this:
practiced for many years in FP, now doing Path. went in as PGY-1, get paid as PGY-1, about a 75% cut in pay-how 'bout them apples? worth it, though.
generally, programs budget a certain number of positions with salaries attached to those positions, so if you fill that position, that's your salary. doesn't mean there aren't exceptions, e.g. you are some stellar candidate in a hard to fill spot, maybe you get some extra, but generally wouldn't count on it.

I've heard of residents getting paid for their actual year post-grad, for their year in that program, and for something negotiated that falls in between. It's completely dependent on the program and their finances.

Nerdoscience said:
I've heard of residents getting paid for their actual year post-grad, for their year in that program, and for something negotiated that falls in between. It's completely dependent on the program and their finances.
I agree if you are lucky enough to be able to change specialties then it will have to be negotiated.I think there are no hard and fast rules for this.