Paycheck question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EML9255

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Signed on to my chain salary exempt with 32h/week guaranteed.

Somehow it got changed along the way and is 40hrs guaranteed now (works for me), salary adjusted accordingly. I just got my first paycheck, a pay period that I worked 68h and when I did the math for my gross pay I got paid for 80 hours of work. Is this right? I thought in pharmacy salaried was a loose term and you only actually got paid for hours worked at the end of the day. I don't want to be stealing money or something. If I do gross pay/68h it comes out to 70$/hr which is not what I make. I worked Labor Day would that change anything?

I had another paycheck from when I first started training and it was the right amount for those 24 hours (I just had 3 shifts of training when The pay period ended, it was right after I started)

Members don't see this ad.

It's best to check with your HR department regarding such matters. They can explain to you how you were paid. OR, you can directly contact the person who puts in the hours for you or the person paying you. OR, if you have access to an online paystub you can see how you were paid as well.

If you work in a retail setting, it's highly unlikely you are getting paid "salaried". You are getting paid hourly if you work in CVS or Walgreens or Rite Aid.

Yeahs work for Walgreens so that is what I figured. I viewed the pay stub online but didn't really see a breakdown of hours or anything. I'll look into it. Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Whenever I have a question about my pay I call the person who puts in the hours. For me, that is the District Administrator. Every once in a while she refers me to someone else but usually she can answer my questions.

Don't know about WAGS but for another chain, what may have happened is you "HUB"ed. You are salaried for 40/hrs per week as a "Base" (80 per paid period) and that's what they paid you. You worked less than your base salary hours (68). You HUB'd (hours under base) 12 hours. You "owe" the company 12 hours in the future. This can come from holiday pay or extra shifts that puts you over 40hr/week, they'll get it back at some point. You worked less than you were paid for so at some point you need to work more than you were paid for (prepare for "i stay late everyday and I'm not paid for it" comments below).

If you pick up a shift or have holiday pay and you have not HUB'd you get paid out hourly for the extra time.

Ok that may have been the case. I will call on Monday to try and get some answers so I know for sure. That was helpful though

Signed on to my chain salary exempt with 32h/week guaranteed.

Somehow it got changed along the way and is 40hrs guaranteed now (works for me), salary adjusted accordingly. I just got my first paycheck, a pay period that I worked 68h and when I did the math for my gross pay I got paid for 80 hours of work. Is this right? I thought in pharmacy salaried was a loose term and you only actually got paid for hours worked at the end of the day. I don't want to be stealing money or something. If I do gross pay/68h it comes out to 70$/hr which is not what I make. I worked Labor Day would that change anything?

I had another paycheck from when I first started training and it was the right amount for those 24 hours (I just had 3 shifts of training when The pay period ended, it was right after I started)

It literally says what hours you worked in a paycheck. "Hours and earnings" and "regular" are the hours you worked. It's right above the holiday pay hours. If they overpaid you, don't question it. It's their fault.

If they overpaid you, don't question it. It's their fault.

Depending on your cash flow situation this may not be a good idea. If they overpaid you and they find out they will take any "overpayments" from future checks. Hopefully you aren't in a situation in which you are living paycheck to paycheck and have spent money before you actually received it.

It literally says what hours you worked in a paycheck. "Hours and earnings" and "regular" are the hours you worked. It's right above the holiday pay hours. If they overpaid you, don't question it. It's their fault.
Believe me I looked there

Under my hours and earnings it says
"Description": salary
Current hours: this is blank

It said the same thing last pay check that is what made me question. No where does it say 68hours. It didn't either from that last mini paycheck where I has 24 hours

Well you worked labor day so they should have added an extra days pay onto your check, at least that is what has been typical for me at most pharmacies. If you work 12s that would explain it?

Not entirely sure on that though. Being both hourly and salaried seems kind of "worst of both worlds" and is highly confusing to me too, but if they will pay a steady salary and "hub" hours that seems like a modest benefit of that type of scheme.