Paying for Dental Work

Started by Dial71
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dial71

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was very excited to get into medical school this year, but after the initial excitement faded, it was replaced by serious concern over my finances.

I need extensive dental repairs. Due to poor insurance growing up, coupled with a family history of decay-prone teeth, nearly every tooth needs repair. This includes numerous root canals and crowns. Needless to say, it is an expensive undertaking.

Throughout undergrad, I simply paid cash for my dental repairs (probably >= $15,000, so far). I was able to do so because I have a steady, decent paying job. I still need more dental work and I am probably only half-way done right now.

Since I am moving for med-school, I can't keep my current job and everyone tells me that working during school is a bad idea anyways. However, the financial aid department has informed me that student loans cannot be used to cover dental bills. I get the sense that they don't want to work with me and my unique financial difficulties.

I am going to work over the summer and get as much dental work finished as I can, but I doubt that I will be able to complete the repairs. Does anyone have a good idea how I could finance my dental bills? I can't neglect my teeth for four years until residency; this work has to be done soon.
 
Some schools require you to be under their medical insurance if not covered under parents. Often these insurances will include dental coverage and if they don't you can add it. This coverage will be included in your cost of attendance for school and therefore they will loan you more money to get this coverage. Your school may also give you an emergency fund allotment for certain circumstances.
 
I was very excited to get into medical school this year, but after the initial excitement faded, it was replaced by serious concern over my finances.

I need extensive dental repairs. Due to poor insurance growing up, coupled with a family history of decay-prone teeth, nearly every tooth needs repair. This includes numerous root canals and crowns. Needless to say, it is an expensive undertaking.

Throughout undergrad, I simply paid cash for my dental repairs (probably >= $15,000, so far). I was able to do so because I have a steady, decent paying job. I still need more dental work and I am probably only half-way done right now.

Since I am moving for med-school, I can't keep my current job and everyone tells me that working during school is a bad idea anyways. However, the financial aid department has informed me that student loans cannot be used to cover dental bills. I get the sense that they don't want to work with me and my unique financial difficulties.

I am going to work over the summer and get as much dental work finished as I can, but I doubt that I will be able to complete the repairs. Does anyone have a good idea how I could finance my dental bills? I can't neglect my teeth for four years until residency; this work has to be done soon.

Why not post this question here on the dental forums. They may have some good ideas for you. Also, since you are going to be an MD, you should have better luck negotiating payment terms. Finally, if your med school is associated with a dental school, you may find a great faculty member who would help you--I had work done for cheap or free when my husband was in med school at the dent school clinic, since it was complex, the faculty just took over from the residents so the work was quality...good luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just make sure you procure some medical and dental insurance for while you are a medical student. Some good ideas were posted above. Also, sometimes you can get a 0% or low % loan for such things as dental work. I got a 0% loan for LASIK that I paid back over 1 year. This problem shouldn't be insurmountable for you. Student loans won't cover cosmetic dental stuff per se, but they generally allow for health insurance premiums as part of your calculated cost of attendance (i.e. student loan money can be used to buy medical or dental insurance).
 
You should look around for dental clinics held by local universities. They will often perform complex procedures for free (done by skilled students with oversight from professors).

Or, you could look into a dental "vacation" to somewhere out of the country. Costa Rica is pretty well know for this. You can get better service than in the US for 20% of the cost. I'd look into this option... There are plenty of reputable firms that have an internet presence, with reviews and all.

I've struggled with similar problems all my life, so I kinda know what you're going through. Good luck!
 
Getting a lot of complex and costly dental work for free is very unlikely. You can get it for a reduced cost at a university run dental-clinic (typically for fees that are 50% of private practice docs). Of course you're going to be seen by students or residents, so expect to sit there for hours and hours.

You can also talk to a few MD professors and see if they know DDS professors at the same university. Never underestimate the power of connections. Maybe the MD will put a good word for you and get a DDS to perform it for dirt cheap.