Paying for Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FinallyOnTrack

I got that Pharm.D
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I start in 2 months - my concern / worry is that I’ll need a private loan to help cover the cost of living while at school..

Does the Grad Plus Loans cover the entire amount of tuition plus some?

The financial aid officer at my school couldn’t give me much help because they haven’t creased a budget for this year yet and he told me so far, I could expect about $2,000/month for living expenses plus my tuition covered 100%

Does that sound about right with the grad plus loan?

Thanks in Advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Grad PLUS loans take care of any extra costs. They’ll check your creditworthiness for this loan type. Don’t take out a private loan.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Grad PLUS loans take care of any extra costs. They’ll check your creditworthiness for this loan type. Don’t take out a private loan.

That’s what I was hoping for.. thanks!

So you start pharmacy school in June?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yea, South College, classes begin 6/25 with orientation on 6/18-19

Hello guys!

Hopefully someone can see this and advise me. I have a BSN and am currently working as RN at ICU. I am considering going back to school for Doctorate Nurse Anesthesia (a 9-semester/3-year program). I have been trying to figure out if my school and living expenses will be covered by FAFSA standard and Plus loans. I will not be able to work, and obviously will need some money for living. I have a wife and a kid. My wife works, but her salary won't be enough to cover all of our expenses. My school told me I will not find out how much I will get in loans until I apply and get accepted. In order to apply I need to pass GRE exam and fill out a bunch of paperwork, white essay, collect recommendation letters, etc. All this is time consuming, and it doesn't make sense for me to have to go through this exercise to just find out at the end of the day I cannot afford to go to school. My school tuition is around 80k. Anyone has any idea how much extra I can count on monthly for living? I figured I would need around 2k to cover my living expenses in addition to my wife's earnings. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Hello guys!

Hopefully someone can see this and advise me. I have a BSN and am currently working as RN at ICU. I am considering going back to school for Doctorate Nurse Anesthesia (a 9-semester/3-year program). I have been trying to figure out if my school and living expenses will be covered by FAFSA standard and Plus loans. I will not be able to work, and obviously will need some money for living. I have a wife and a kid. My wife works, but her salary won't be enough to cover all of our expenses. My school told me I will not find out how much I will get in loans until I apply and get accepted. In order to apply I need to pass GRE exam and fill out a bunch of paperwork, white essay, collect recommendation letters, etc. All this is time consuming, and it doesn't make sense for me to have to go through this exercise to just find out at the end of the day I cannot afford to go to school. My school tuition is around 80k. Anyone has any idea how much extra I can count on monthly for living? I figured I would need around 2k to cover my living expenses in addition to my wife's earnings. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

I've been out of school nearly six years now but when I was in, I was able to take out around 35,000 per year on tuition that was around 16,500 per year.

My school tuition is around 80k. Anyone has any idea how much extra I can count on monthly for living? I figured I would need around 2k to cover my living expenses in addition to my wife's earnings. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

I know nurse anesthetists make a lot of money, but that amount of tuition is crazy! My advice for you, is the same as it is for someone applying to pharmacy school....if you can't get accepted into a reasonably priced school, then you shouldn't go. $240,000 (tuition) + $60,000 (living expenses) is a ridiculous amount of loan. You should be looking at $40,000/yr tuition schools and figuring how to cut back so you can live on your wife's income for 3 years.

And, the GRE is one of the most difficult tests to take. You really need to take that first before planning out anything else. (ie you need to make sure you get a high enough score to get accepted to a reasonably priced NA school. )

Hello guys!

80k for the entire program is not all that much considering the pay you will be making once your are done (a lot more than us pharmacists). I cant comment on having children but I am sure that is a significant cost. Also depends on what area of the country you live in and the cost of living.

80k for the entire program is not all that much considering the pay you will be making once your are done (a lot more than us pharmacists). I cant comment on having children but I am sure that is a significant cost. Also depends on what area of the country you live in and the cost of living.

It's 80k/YEAR for 3 years, not 80k for the program. Also, while nurse anesthetists at the moment are are more stable than pharmacists, there is no reason to expect that to last. With the rapidly saturating NP's, undoubtedly many of them will be trying to get in to be a nurse anesthetist.

It's 80k/YEAR for 3 years, not 80k for the program. Also, while nurse anesthetists at the moment are are more stable than pharmacists, there is no reason to expect that to last. With the rapidly saturating NP's, undoubtedly many of them will be trying to get in to be a nurse anesthetist.
My wife’s a crna, as long as they don’t have a huge explosion of schools like pharmacy did, which clearly has led to the devolution of the profession, then I’d say it’s a a very stable career for the future.

80k per year is crazy. I just looked at tuition for University of South Carolina's CRNA program and for in state students its less than 65k for the entire 27 month program.