Paying for Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cosanostra

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Let me give you a bit of background so you can answer my questions to the best of your ability. I am an independent, married father-to-be with an EFC of 0 (used to calculate financial aid eligibility through FAFSA). My baby will be born next May and I am just beginning pre-pharmacy curriculum at the community college this semester.

I am not worried so much about financing my tuition costs, but the living expenses are what i'm worried about. Has anybody been in this situation? Some people tell me to just "get a job", but I am trying to focus on my education and I want to get a job as a last resort. Does anybody have some advice? Your personal experiences in this situation are appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You can easily get an education loan from Sallie Mae. Just be aware that the interest rates are higher (varies yearly).

Food stamps, medicaid, HEAT for utilities, food bank for diapers and other toiletries, WIC for formula and public housing. With 2 children and no income our rent is only $45/month. A lot of people look down on this but it's the way to go when you are a student with a family. You could work but it's not worth sacrificing your education.

Members don't see this ad :)
You definitely want to talk to your financial aid office to see if they can increase your cost of attendance so you can maximize your loans you can get. (Though you haven't said what your CoA is) If you can, it is nice to avoid private loans too. Most private loans have to be within the cost of attendance too so the FA office is where you should go first.

My credit isn't that great. I probably can't get private loans. I have 1k in credit card debt to "****tybank" and another 1k in debt to a school that really f'ed me over last semester.

And I would never work while in pharmacy school, because I believe that it is not worth degrading your education to flip some idiot's hamburgers for 8 dollars an hour while failing your classes :)

I'll be applying for section 8 this week. While some people can look down on section 8 (including some of the doctors and pharmacists paying taxes for that kind of government program), I would have 3 words to tell them. Go (verb) yourself:laugh:

My credit isn't that great. I probably can't get private loans. I have 1k in credit card debt to "****tybank" and another 1k in debt to a school that really f'ed me over last semester.

And I would never work while in pharmacy school, because I believe that it is not worth degrading your education to flip some idiot's hamburgers for 8 dollars an hour while failing your classes :)

I'll be applying for section 8 this week. While some people can look down on section 8 (including some of the doctors and pharmacists paying taxes for that kind of government program), I would have 3 words to tell them. Go (verb) yourself:laugh:

Hate to break it to you but your going to have to work in pharmacy school no matter what. There are intern hours which your going to have to get, varies greatly depending on state, which are done whenever you have time or even concurrently while you are taking class.

When you are in pharm school you can get grad plus loans. For right now you need to manage your money and learn how to pay off debt and be responsible.