Paying for school and life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Truth_seeker

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a newbie here. Glad to see a forum such as this. I'm seriously thinking about going back to school and then to med school. Currently, I'm a network engineer but the industry sucks. Anyway, my wife and I have a question about how dose one pay for school and also afford to live. I mean we can't just move out of our home and get into a dinky little house. How do some of you do it? I have a 1 yr. old and a new one on the way. I'm not worried about giving them time but do worry about the huge demand of time during school. Thanks for any responses!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

One way to do it is to work full-time while taking one class at night. This might take you three years to complete all your pre-reqs if you don't have any.

The route I did was to take out loans, take a full year to do my pre-reqs full-time, and just live very meagerly that year. Then I work full-time and take some extra upper-level bios at night after that.

-BB

Well Truth, the truth is that loans are the way most people deal with this situation. I am in the same boat you are in; getting the pre-reqs done and wondering how to support my family. You can find some useful info on the Financial Aid forum and your spouse can find some good info on the Spouse/SO forum. Best of luck!

I took a big cut to my standard of living in order to go back to school. Loans, too. It's worth it to me... I guess it's all about what you are willing to sacrifice in order to make your dreams come true.