Paying for vet school...

Started by ashilb
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ashilb

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Everyone.... I have couple of questions,I'm currently in community college doing pre for vet school. I've come to a decision that I wont be getting a bachelors degree and will be applying to a accredited vet school in UK. The only think im stressing about is paying for vet school. Do you guys think that I would have to take out private loans to live and go to school out there or financial aid and other government Aids will be enough? I don't have a good credit and I also don't have a cosigner to help me take out a private loan. I've always wanted to a veterinarian and don't see myself doing anything else.
Thanks for reading my thread.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using SDN Mobile
 
Financially, a good bet would be to establish residency in a state where you could be a competitive applicant for admission and tuition is inexpensive (read: North Carolina and a few others). Foreign vet schools offer sound educational opportunities but no real savings to US students unless you have dual citizenship (and even that can get hazy, IANAL).

I would also suggest finishing a Bachelor's degree because it can give you a small leg up on your competition as well as allow you a fall back option (especially if you are moving to establish residency).
 
Financially, a good bet would be to establish residency in a state where you could be a competitive applicant for admission and tuition is inexpensive (read: North Carolina and a few others). Foreign vet schools offer sound educational opportunities but no real savings to US students unless you have dual citizenship (and even that can get hazy, IANAL).

I would also suggest finishing a Bachelor's degree because it can give you a small leg up on your competition as well as allow you a fall back option (especially if you are moving to establish residency).

I'm a EU citizen, so technically I should get cheaper tuition, but apparently because I am doing my prereqs here, I count as non-EU. Otherwise I would strongly consider going to the UK. ):