Paying off loans

Discussion in 'Financial Aid' started by coolioyo, Jul 6, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. coolioyo

coolioyo New Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 4, 2006
    I plan to pay off my loans over the next 8 months. I do not qualify for IBR because of my income change. I will be moved back to standard repayment plan. Should I consolidate and go to REPAYE? To me, it doesn't seem to matter as I will be paying them off soon.

Thanks for your help.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Student Loan Planner

Student Loan Planner

Dec 13, 2016
    I think if you've got over a 4% interest rate then you should be refinancing for a couple thousand in interest savings. Otherwise I would just do standard and get rid of them

4. keifernny2

keifernny2 2+ Year Member

Aug 26, 2013
    If you refinance, you will have to have your credit inquiried (a hard-pull). If you need to keep your credit intact, then for a 8 months worth of partial interest savings it is probably not worth it. The refi process takes a few months too. If your time window was longer (like 2 years) or the interest rate very high (north of 10%), then it probably would be worth it.

If you're seriously going to be paid off in 8 months, you could also try a 0% balance transfer onto a credit card that you already have. Just calculate if the BT fee is higher than the amount of interest you'd pay during that time. The downside to this is that if you, for whatever reason, change your mind and don't pay things off you have the potential for a hefty interest payment at the end of the 0% promo.