payor mix

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PainDr

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested in knowing what everyone's payor mix is. Specifically, what's your medicare %. I think mine is especially high and it's killing me!:mad:

Members don't see this ad.

Mine's b/w 40 and 45% based on billings, and 30% on collections

medicare:

35% of volume
27% of collections

Members don't see this ad :)
the past few months, 42% of charges, 28% collections

drop out of medicare ... that will send a message to politicians...

i am thinking hard about dropping medicare - will slowly phase out over next year (ie: reduce number of new medicare patients over next year - then no more new medicare patients for a year - then go non-par for a year - then decide if i should jump ship alltogether)... will see how it affects my volume and income

drop out of medicare ... that will send a message to politicians...

i am thinking hard about dropping medicare - will slowly phase out over next year (ie: reduce number of new medicare patients over next year - then no more new medicare patients for a year - then go non-par for a year - then decide if i should jump ship alltogether)... will see how it affects my volume and income

I understand your point. However, when you really think about it, are you really gaining that much by dropping medicare. BCBS is 105-125 of medicare. United and Cigna are a lot worse. At least with the current medicare rules, it is fee for service and you dont have all of the red tape with preapprovals, denials, peer reviews, etc. This uses up your office staff and does have a real cost. I am not saying that I totally disagree with your statements. I have thought about it myself. I guess that it would depend on your negotiated contracts with private payors. For a lot of payors, I have a hard time convincing myself that it would be worth it.

i think it sends a political message... and it would only work if >80% of docs did it..