PBL- pros and cons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MisplacedLondoner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm currently trying to decide between two programs I've gotten into, and money aside, one of the big differences is that one has PBL. I liked what I saw of it at the interview and I like the idea, but I was wondering if there are students who have been through PBL who could give some input. Pros and cons and advice are all welcome! Did anyone find it valuable enough that if they had to go back and do it again, they would choose one school over an another specifically for PBL?

Members don't see this ad.

I went to a traditional school where for one of the classes we had a professor who used a PBL style approach and I personally did not like it at all....I feel that it created a whole lot more work. From my experience, PBL required you to basically teach yourself on your own time which meant you had to look up what all the lab values meant, contraindications / precautions for various conditions, etc....instead of all of that being covered in lecture.
Some of my classmates liked this, but some did not. If you prefer an approach where all of the information is presented to you and it is up to you to remember it, then PBL is NOT for you. If you prefer to essentially (from my experience) teach yourself, then you may like PBL.

Reactions: 1 user