PBL vs. Tradtional Lecture

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krissybear

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't had any luck getting opinions in the pre-PT section, so I thought I might get more responses from students who have already had experience with their school's lecture style...

I realize this is something that may be an ultimate deciding factor if it comes down to schools that vary in their lecture style. I was hoping to hear some opinions on the pros and cons of each... I'd also like to know which schools are known for either traditional or problem based learning.

Or, if there is already been discussed can you please direct me to the right thread :)

Members don't see this ad.

My school was traditional and we had 1 class that was `pseudo PBL` that 1 class I felt required a whole more work than what it was worth. Not a fan of PBL at all personally. Just teach me what I need to know.

Reactions: 2 users
My program was traditional but I have heard that in PBL you have to do most of the researching/learning on your own and that the profs are there to guide you in the right direction. I learn best from a traditional style

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a different opinion. I'm currently in a PBL curriculum. I wasn't sure about it when I first started, but I really do like it. Yes, it is more work at home than a traditional lecture, but I find that it helps me really understand concepts instead of memorizing. It also helps you learn how to learn things on your own instead of being spoon-fed information, which helps once you're practicing and come across something that you need to research. Here's the best way I know to put it. In a traditional lecture, you learn during class then study on your own time to solidify the concepts. In PBL, you learn on your own time before class then do your studying/solidifying as a group in class. It's so helpful to share what you've learned with other people who may have learned something different that they can share with you. It's very collaborative. On the flip side, it is a LOT of group work, so if you don't do well with groups you'll have to learn how to.

Reactions: 1 user
It's very collaborative. On the flip side, it is a LOT of group work, so if you don't do well with groups you'll have to learn how to.
2kewNC

Personally I learn better from the traditional format. We have a class now that is pseudo-PBL and it is by far the hardest class for me to find good ways to study for. Different strokes for different folks though. My learning style is such that sitting and listening to a lecture and then getting in a group and going over powerpoint slides works well for me. But some people hate that. For me I think I was so accustomed to that learning style after 4 years of college science classes that it's hard to change to something else. Some complain that this is "passive learning" and that is is ineffective, and they may well be right. But I've done ok with it up to this point.

I love PBL but am in a very traditional program. It just kills me to sit in required lecture courses and be spoon fed the information off the slides. (I wouldn't care as much if they didn't require my attendance). We've had 1 PBL style class and it seemed that all my classmates HATED it (but I was really happy with it). If you know yourself well, you will know what's best for you. I prefer to study on my own and understand a concept from multiple sources and perspective. I love arguing and debating a topic. I think traditional lecture in inefficient, so PBL would have been the best fit for me. That said, I'm doing fine in traditional lecture (although I roll my eyes a lot and mostly mess around on my computer in the back of the room, haha). I think a lot of it also depends on the exam style. If the exams had application type questions (ie patient scenarios), I find PBL to work really really well. If the exam question was asking for a specific fact (fill in the blank), you may or may not have covered that concept in your PBL studying...or didn't think it was particularly important.