pcat after 2nd year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a second year at berkeley,

What are the topics on pcat? i found out that there's no physics on the pcat, which means I can take it as soon as maybe the end of my second year.

By the end of my second year I would have had down a year of ochem, regular chem, general bio, and a semester of calculus.
I have yet taken the second semester of calculus, do you think it's fine for the pcat, or should i take it first?

Thanks!
Is 3 months of studying good enough?

Members don't see this ad.

i took the PCAT the summer after my sophomore year of college. the subtests are these: math, chem, bio, verbal, and reading. no physics!! YAY!!!!

i did take calc 2 before the test, but it's mostly calc 1 stuff. make sure you study up on statistics.

take ppl's advice and get dr. collins. it helped me immensely. 3 months is absolutely fine, but if you feel you're not prepared, take the official practice tests on the pearson website.

good luck! :)

1. Writing (30 Minutes) 1 Writing Topic
Conventions of Language
Problem Solving

2. Verbal Ability (30 Minutes) 48 Items
Analogies 60%
Sentence Completion 40%

3. Biology (30 Minutes) 48 Items
General Biology 60%
Microbiology 20%
Anatomy & Physiology 20%

4. Chemistry (30 Minutes) 48 Items
General Chemistry 60%
Organic Chemistry 40%

Rest Break
5. Writing (30 Minutes) 1 Writing Topic
Conventions of Language
Problem Solving

6. Reading Comprehension (50 Minutes) 6 Passages & 48 Items
Comprehension 30%
Analysis 40%
Evaluation 30%

7. Quantitative Ability (40 Minutes) 48 Items
Basic Math 15%
Algebra 20%
Probability & Statistics 20%
Precalculus 22%

Calculus 22%

Hope this helps.

3 months of studying is probably enough.

The Chemistry portion covers gen chem and organic chem, so it sounds like you're good to go on that. The Biology portion sports general biology and some minimal A&P trivia. You don't have to take A&P, a study book should cover that area enough. The math only went as far as calc I, I think.

I think integration by parts is a topic that might show up, though, so if you don't cover it in Calc I, look ahead in the book. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, that's a big help.
So I should get Dr. Collins and not the other stuff like kaplan or barrons?

Is it all multiple choice except the essay part and is it like SAT, where you lose points for guessing wrong?

in addition.. by, dr. collins, do you mean the $300 some dollar self study package?

Is there biochem on it?

do a search, and you shall find all this information...

even reading the FAQ's on the official Pearson website would answer 99% of your questions.

in regards to studying, find what works for you.

I only required the Kaplan book and the Pearson practice exams (A&B).

Others used Kaplan, Dr. Collins, GRE vocab, etc.

Remember to study more than 3 hours a day for it.

Took me about 3 weeks to finally feel prepared (it's a lot of information to cram back into your head).

good luck

Hi,
I have a question
I am on the 1st year of pre pharm.,and plan to take PCAT in October 2010.So that, i wont miss the apllication for 2011 and could get into the school of pharmacy for fall 2011. would it be okay?
If i take PCAT in summer of my sophomore year(August 2011),and then apply to the school of pharmacy(for 2012 admission), i will have to wait one year until fall of 2012 to get in. What should i do in that one year?
i am not sure what others usually do?please help me!
thanks