PCAT Calculator Functions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngsoo1269

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what kind of functions are available on the calculator? Please don't just say its basic calculator :(

Members don't see this ad.

Some have square roots and others don't tho
I believe it's the one that does not. But my Official practice exams say to use a "standard non-scientific calculator" which may or may not use percent/square root. Considering that some questions are straight up determining a percentage, I'm would assume the PCAT one doesn't have Square root or percentage buttons.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know what kind of functions are available on the calculator? Please don't just say its basic calculator :(
I feel you tho, i've relied on my calculator for the most basic multiplication and divisions and fractions and am extremely nervous for the math section. it's currently my weakest section simply because of the time and lack of efficient calculator... even tho i've made A's up to Calculus in university,,

I feel you tho, i've relied on my calculator for the most basic multiplication and divisions and fractions and am extremely nervous for the math section. it's currently my weakest section simply because of the time and lack of efficient calculator... even tho i've made A's up to Calculus in university,,
thanks for the reply. Yo how helpful are those pearson practice exams? I'm thinking about getting it to see where I stand

thanks for the reply. Yo how helpful are those pearson practice exams? I'm thinking about getting it to see where I stand
They're absolutely helpful. If you do them in the same conditions as the actual PCAT (calc, periodic table, time), the range should be close to your actual result. I'd suggest buying all three practice tests for I feel like they can show you how the structure really is. I'm using Kaplan but the type of questions they ask there are a bit tougher and don't really seem like the type found on the PCAT (compared to the official practice exams). I've taken two and had a huge change after getting familiar. My PCAT is next week so i'm fixing to take the 3rd practice and hope the trend keeps true.

They're absolutely helpful. If you do them in the same conditions as the actual PCAT (calc, periodic table, time), the range should be close to your actual result. I'd suggest buying all three practice tests for I feel like they can show you how the structure really is. I'm using Kaplan but the type of questions they ask there are a bit tougher and don't really seem like the type found on the PCAT (compared to the official practice exams). I've taken two and had a huge change after getting familiar. My PCAT is next week so i'm fixing to take the 3rd practice and hope the trend keeps true.

My scores on the official practice ARE 5Xs higher than the kaplan exam (well not 5x, but double lol). I am actually kind of nervous because the practice exams are to easy.

My scores on the official practice ARE 5Xs higher than the kaplan exam (well not 5x, but double lol). I am actually kind of nervous because the practice exams are to easy.
Well Kaplan's are supposed to be harder than the real PCAT. I haven't taken them because i don't wan't to get discouraged. Some find it helpful to be challenged by Kaplan and learn the material based on that, I suppose that will make taking the real PCAT easier. But I, personally, would like to study in correlation with the difficulty of the actual PCAT. If i had more time to prepare I would've done the harder Kaplan tests, but only had about 3 weeks when i first started.

Well Kaplan's are supposed to be harder than the real PCAT. I haven't taken them because i don't wan't to get discouraged. Some find it helpful to be challenged by Kaplan and learn the material based on that, I suppose that will make taking the real PCAT easier. But I, personally, would like to study in correlation with the difficulty of the actual PCAT. If i had more time to prepare I would've done the harder Kaplan tests, but only had about 3 weeks when i first started.

I understand that. In my opinion studying the Kaplan Exams have motivated me to study RELENTLESSLY! The official practice exams have actually made me more lackadaisical.

I understand that. In my opinion studying the Kaplan Exams have motivated me to study RELENTLESSLY! The official practice exams have actually made me more lackadaisical.
Will you be taking it next week? What'd you do to study besides the practice exams?

Will you be taking it next week? What'd you do to study besides the practice exams?

I take it Thursday. I used the entire Kaplan book and I printed out a copy of the PCAT blueprint and researched each individual topic online until I either mastered it or had some level of understanding. I took 3 Kaplan practice exams and I used one practice Pearson exam. My Kaplan scores were middle of the pack but my score for the official practice test were HIGHLY COMPETITIVE. I am hopeful this trend continues.

I take it Thursday. I used the entire Kaplan book and I printed out a copy of the PCAT blueprint and researched each individual topic online until I either mastered it or had some level of understanding. I took 3 Kaplan practice exams and I used one practice Pearson exam. My Kaplan scores were middle of the pack but my score for the official practice test were HIGHLY COMPETITIVE. I am hopeful this trend continues.
Hmm.. it appears we did the same thing. I also used the full Kaplan and looked stuff up using the blueprint. I didn't take the Kaplan tests, but took 3 Pearson tests. My scores were average... XD I also take it on Thursday! Good luck, mate!

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm.. it appears we did the same thing. I also used the full Kaplan and looked stuff up using the blueprint. I didn't take the Kaplan tests, but took 3 Pearson tests. My scores were average... XD I also take it on Thursday! Good luck, mate!
good luck to you too!