Pcat help extreme

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdpcat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats up guys, Im taking the pcat july 27. I wanted to know for those of you that took it of course how they felt. I did the Kaplan final test (big purple book) and did ok on the sections. Although i did extremely poor on the chemistry. I basically forget everything any suggestions on which sections to pay extreme focus on to be able do well on chem. I feel like I am studying the wrong stuff because i know some of the complex equations math chemistry wont be on it because of no calc use (which the use of outrageous number such as avagadros number) For say Thermochemistry etc. Also the math portion i heard they liked log and the rules of log and ln. So basically tips on math n chem would be extremely appreciative. Peace for now

FEEL LIKE IM LOSING RIGHT NOW 5 DAYS LEFT :thumbdown: but :xf:

kaplan test
Bio- 12 wrong
Chem - 30 wrong
math-17 wrong

Members don't see this ad.

Whats up guys, Im taking the pcat july 27. I wanted to know for those of you that took it of course how they felt. I did the Kaplan final test (big purple book) and did ok on the sections. Although i did extremely poor on the chemistry. I basically forget everything any suggestions on which sections to pay extreme focus on to be able do well on chem. I feel like I am studying the wrong stuff because i know some of the complex equations math chemistry wont be on it because of no calc use (which the use of outrageous number such as avagadros number) For say Thermochemistry etc. Also the math portion i heard they liked log and the rules of log and ln. So basically tips on math n chem would be extremely appreciative. Peace for now

kaplan test
Bio- 12 wrong
Chem - 30 wrong
math-17 wrong
Where did you hear that avogadros # will not be needed in the chemistry section? These aren't too complicated...If it is on it, there is a way to get around large numbers.

Lets say you're doing moles to molecules and you have:
55.509 mol * 6.022x10^23 = 3.34x10^23 molecules

Round 55.5 moles to 55 and A's number to 6.

55 * 6 = 330.00

Tack on the x10^23 from A's # = 330.0x10^23 which is the same as 3.30x10^25 molecules, you have your answer.

Not to say it wont be needed, but i heard there is not to many math related chem questions. Not much to me sounds like 15 of of 48 questions or maybe 20 even say what are the other 28 looking like. By in a sense if you want to round mols, molecules, etc. :idea:

Not to say it wont be needed, but i heard there is not to many math related chem questions. Not much to me sounds like 15 of of 48 questions or maybe 20 even say what are the other 28 looking like. By in a sense if you want to round mols, molecules, etc. :idea:
I'd feel better if many people who took it on the 20th say the same, but then again they change the types of questions around anyway so no one is safe. If all the questions are definition related and not mathematics, then chem shouldn't be hard at all as long as you know periodic table trends and what not.

Members don't see this ad :)

kaplan test
Bio- 12 wrong
Chem - 30 wrong
math-17 wrong

Honestly I feel the Kaplan tests are neither relevant to the actual PCAT material or a good indicator of the level of detail of PCAT test questions. I haven't taken the test yet myself but I'm basing this off what I've seen from Dr. Collins' material as well as the Pearson exams (the consensus is that these practice tests most closely reflect the real thing).
Sure there may be a isolated question or two that are highly specific but in general for the PCAT it's nothing like the Kaplan tests. I'd recommend getting at least one of the Pearson exams and seeing how well you do on that seeing there is only a few days before the exam.
As far as chemistry/math is concerned, some tips I can offer are: know PV=nRT,log rules,organic nomenclature,SN1,SN2, E1,E2. Hope that helps.

Pearson practice tests were much easier than the real deal for me. I did worse in chem and bio for both practice and the real test, but predicted scores were off

Pearson practice tests were much easier than the real deal for me. I did worse in chem and bio for both practice and the real test, but predicted scores were off

Did you take the Pearson tests timed and without any external help? And how big was the discrepancy between the Pearson estimates and your real scores?

CHEMISTRY IS GOING TO BE THE WORST THING IN THE WORLD! i cant get **** down. Getting confused when to use P1V1=P2V2, pv=nrt, MiVi=Mivi, Hess law in like a puzzle. predicting a 20% on chem. Ill let you guys know july 27th. Peace might run into a wall pretty soon

CHEMISTRY IS GOING TO BE THE WORST THING IN THE WORLD! i cant get **** down. Getting confused when to use P1V1=P2V2, pv=nrt, MiVi=Mivi, Hess law in like a puzzle. predicting a 20% on chem. Ill let you guys know july 27th. Peace might run into a wall pretty soon

The only reason that you feel chemistry is gonna be so bad is b/c you did it from kaplan. KAPLAN IS AWFUL when it comes to chemistry!!! Do collin's chem. The real test is more like collins than kaplan.