PCAT in Nov or Dec?

Started by deleted423669
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted423669

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently took the PCAT in September and did not do so well. I studied from Dr. Collins and Kaplan for 2 months, took their practice tests timed, took the Pearson's practice tests timed, and was scoring 80-90 on Bio, Chem, QA, and RC. I was scoring slightly below that at 70-80 for Verbal.

My scores on the actual test:
Bio: 80
Chem: 70
Verbal, RC, QA: <30
Writing: 4.0
Composite: 40

After having taken the actual test, I understand that my weakness lies in timing issues, more specifically with the non-science sections, and on mastering the updated material (as I did not have Dr. Collin's July update).

I have always overlooked the Nov test dates since with a full coarseload I would not have consistent time to master the time issue as well as the updated material. However, I am concerned that if I take it in Jan as planned, that most schools will already have their seats full.

If any of you have been in this position, I would appreciate any advice on what steps I should take or any advice in general on how to improve my scores based on what I have already done.
 
It is weird that your composite score is only a 40 when chemistry and biology are 70 and 80, respectively. Chemistry seems to be the section that influences your score most. And then quantitative just because of timing restrictions. But I obviously don't generate the numbers.

How many times did you take the Dr. Collins tests? I have taken each test 4-5 times have been doing it in about 15 minutes. I took an official practice test today and was doing the sections with 10+ minutes left. Did you just freeze?

A lot of schools won't accept January scores, but check if the schools on your list will. You could also look at newer programs like UNT that will probably have rolling admission, or Marshall, Fairleigh Dickinson, Manchester that still aren't accredited.
 
I recently took the PCAT in September and did not do so well. I studied from Dr. Collins and Kaplan for 2 months, took their practice tests timed, took the Pearson's practice tests timed, and was scoring 80-90 on Bio, Chem, QA, and RC. I was scoring slightly below that at 70-80 for Verbal.

My scores on the actual test:
Bio: 80
Chem: 70
Verbal, RC, QA: <30
Writing: 4.0
Composite: 40

After having taken the actual test, I understand that my weakness lies in timing issues, more specifically with the non-science sections, and on mastering the updated material (as I did not have Dr. Collin's July update).

I have always overlooked the Nov test dates since with a full coarseload I would not have consistent time to master the time issue as well as the updated material. However, I am concerned that if I take it in Jan as planned, that most schools will already have their seats full.

If any of you have been in this position, I would appreciate any advice on what steps I should take or any advice in general on how to improve my scores based on what I have already done.

I saw someone get an interview at Roseman with a composite of 40. Don't give up!🙂