PCAT Math and Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

watersil

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got my PCAT scores back and they were not what i had expected. I scored a 20% on math and a 28% on chemistry. I obiviously need to work on this because i know my biggest problem is timing. I purchased the PCAT secrets and the practice tests they offered. I did the math ones but they are MUCH easier than i remember that section being. I have all the kaplan books and tests, but i dont think it helps much to do them over and over ( i could be wrong). I was wondering if anyone had any advice on where to get more practice tests on-line ( i dont mind paying for them) as long as i dont have to wait for a book. I am feeling really discouraged and i just would like some good advice on how to get my score up in the little time i have left. thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

Pearson (Retired PCAT questions and are generally easier than the real thing.)

&

PCAT Achiever (Perason's type of Q's, but more challenging in generality; plus you get updated questions from time to time.):thumbup:

I haven't taken a PCAT recently so I don't know if there were lots of calculation problems on the chem section in August but when I took it, there weren't that many. For that section, I skipped all the calculations questions unless I could do them quickly and answered all the conceptual questions first. Then I went back to the calculations. I did this so I could at least see all of the questions. My suggestion to you is know your concepts very well and then worry about studying for calculations. If you do that, you are bound to see a nice improvement in that section.

For math, it is all about getting as many answers right as you can. If you see a question that is not your strong suit, skip it and find questions that are easy for you. Once you have gone through the easy ones, then attempt the ones that are harder for you. Whatever you do, do not leave easy questions on the table because you never had a chance to read them.

I haven't taken a PCAT recently so I don't know if there were lots of calculation problems on the chem section in August but when I took it, there weren't that many. For that section, I skipped all the calculations questions unless I could do them quickly and answered all the conceptual questions first. Then I went back to the calculations. I did this so I could at least see all of the questions. My suggestion to you is know your concepts very well and then worry about studying for calculations. If you do that, you are bound to see a nice improvement in that section.

For math, it is all about getting as many answers right as you can. If you see a question that is not your strong suit, skip it and find questions that are easy for you. Once you have gone through the easy ones, then attempt the ones that are harder for you. Whatever you do, do not leave easy questions on the table because you never had a chance to read them.

Thanks for the advice.