PCAT prep non-kaplan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

prlester

Hi, like many of you I will take the pcat in oct. I have the review books and practice test (only 2) for kaplan. However, I don't think this is enough of a review. I dont think id get much by taking the course.
What materials are good to study for this thing what did people do before kaplan for the pcat. I have heard about the pcat agency selling a couple of tests. WHAT DO PEOPLE DO to study for this?

Thanks a million!

Members don't see this ad.

I did the PCAT practice test offered by harcourt. It was really helpful in targeting what I needed to bone up on. I used a Java timer to monitor my acutal time to create a test-like environment. After that, all I used was Kaplan.

I took the June PCAT and the scores should be coming anyday now...

~above~

I would say read the kaplan comprehensive review and then do as many practice problems as possible. Also, make sure to do practice tests over and over again so you get used to working in a timed environment.

Kaplan = too much
Barrons = too little
Nothing = just right

I used Kaplan MCAT/PCAT for Chem, Barrons for Chem/Quant, Kaplan GRE verbal section prep (stand alone), Cliff's for plenty of practice tests, and hit google with "GRE Essay Samples".

Still waiting on the results ;)

Why am I telling you my secret sauce recipe? <wonders to self>

Members don't see this ad :)
I really didn't like Kaplan... It was way too detailed and did not cover most of the needed areas.... After looking at Kaplan, I thought bio section pretty much consisted of anatomy and physio. The actual did not have that many questions at all about anatomy or physio... I suggest that you study your old textbooks and notes from your bio, math, and chem classes... Practice also Cliff notes PCAT.... I also bought additional study guide for microbio because i never had this class... I do not know how helpful this is because I have not gotten my scores yet...

Where do I find barrons? Is there quantatative made for the PCAT? Other then kaplan and harcout, there are no practice tests available?

ForcedEntry said:
Kaplan = too much
Barrons = too little
Nothing = just right

I used Kaplan MCAT/PCAT for Chem, Barrons for Chem/Quant, Kaplan GRE verbal section prep (stand alone), Cliff's for plenty of practice tests, and hit google with "GRE Essay Samples".

prlester said:
Where do I find barrons? Is there quantatative made for the PCAT? Other then kaplan and harcout, there are no practice tests available?

Cliff notes has 5 PCAT practice tests... you can find this book in barnes and noble or on amazon.com

prlester said:

The retail stores in my area had one or two Barrons and no Kaplan. I bought everything online and had it shipped. I also bought the Cliff's E-book, then I burned it on disk and took it to work.

Boss: "What are you working on?"
Forced: "My TPS reports"

What did you use for bio?

ForcedEntry said:
Kaplan = too much
Barrons = too little
Nothing = just right

I also bought additional study guide for microbio because i never had this class

Does Kaplan's review guide cover enough of micro bio? If not, damn I'm screwed.