Jul 29, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Im looking for good study guides for taking the PCATS this year. I hear that Dr.Collins pcat study guide is the best. Also there are a few on amazon.com kaplans 2008-2009 and 2010-2011 are on there along with the McGraw hill pcat study guide. Just wondering if anyone has used any of these study guides and if they helped. Or if there any other tips for the PCATS let me know thanks.

C

Jun 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Try searching studyguide on the search box cuz a lot of ppl talk about this, but to answer your question quickly.
Use Kaplan, it's a little more detailed than you need to know but worth the information. The chem/reading comp are harder on kaplan than the actual exam. If you have extra money purchase the Pearson practice tests but don't be fooled like me if you do well on those because they tend to be easier than the actual test, as i figured out once i looked at my score for the june pcat.
hope this helps

pcproduct

10+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2007
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
One of the biggest differences I've noticed between the Kaplan and McGraw-Hill guides is the chemistry section. Both cover general chemistry quite well, but organic chemistry is only 10 or so pages in the Kaplan book. McGraw-Hill's organic chemistry section goes into much more detail and covers stuff that you may have done in lab.

OP
C
Jul 29, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
thanks think im getting both the kaplan and mcgraws..wont be able to look at all of it but ill split it up..read a little bit of both

mug3n

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 19, 2008
Toronto
Status
Pharmacy Student
I actually just looked through the McGraw-Hill guide, I thought they did a great job with it compared to Kaplan where the latter skims through way too much of the math and orgo. Kaplan is slightly more comprehensive with the biology stuff but M-H isn't bad on that section either. If you don't have enough time I think M-H is more than sufficient as a study guide.

Buy both though if not just for the full-length test, this way you can get up to 4 tests (one from M-H, one from Kaplan, 2 from Pearson).

Jul 28, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Hi, I'm studying for PCAT right now and only have the Kaplan book. It is really not helpful at all on the organic chemistry section or the calculus section. Have you taken any PCAT so far? Do you think the McGraw-Hill is worth a buy if I want to get more information on Calculus and Organic? Thanks.
One of the biggest differences I've noticed between the Kaplan and McGraw-Hill guides is the chemistry section. Both cover general chemistry quite well, but organic chemistry is only 10 or so pages in the Kaplan book. McGraw-Hill's organic chemistry section goes into much more detail and covers stuff that you may have done in lab.[/QUOTE]

eldiem

7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2009
Illinois
Status
Pharmacy Student
Has anyone tried taking the PCAT practice tests (by Pearson) on a Mac? I just got to the purchase screen and it wouldn't let me because the site requires IE 6.0 or higher on Windows. (UGH!)

Just wondering, but it seems like I'm SOL, unless I find some Firefox extension somewhere...

rhythmspirit

5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2009
Status
Has anyone tried taking the PCAT practice tests (by Pearson) on a Mac? I just got to the purchase screen and it wouldn't let me because the site requires IE 6.0 or higher on Windows. (UGH!)

Just wondering, but it seems like I'm SOL, unless I find some Firefox extension somewhere...
the questions of the exam does not appear on my windows firefox 3.0. I have to use IE to be able to see the questions.

Espada

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2008
Los Angeles
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Beware: The 2009 McGraw-Hill's PCAT prep book has alot of errors.

The Biology section has some errors as well as the Math section.

I can't use a book that isnt reliable. So, I've gone back to my old text books and studied important concepts.