PCAT study material for someone that hasn't been in school since 2004

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ebonyxtasy

I'm a survivor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help... I graduated with a degree in biology in 2004 and I'm in the process of applying to pharmacy school. Does anyone have any suggestions for study materials that would help me to prepare to for the PCAT. I have seen many positive reviews for Dr. Collins but most of the replies state that the material is really for people not looking to relearn the material. I feel that I definitely need a refresher over all of the material that will be tested on the PCAT. I am planning on taking the test in October. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey @ebonyxtasy - is there anything in particular you're worried about for the PCAT? There's definitely a lot of content to cover, but now there's also passages and strategy involved too. Have you thought about what study strategies work for you (reading, watching videos, study groups)?

The good news is that you're not alone. Lots of people choose to enter pharmacy after being a pharmacy tech or having another career before finding their passion for pharmacy. You'd be surprised by how quickly all that material comes back (and sure, there's a lot to cover on the PCAT, but studying for the PCAT is so different from studying for classes!).

Help... I graduated with a degree in biology in 2004 and I'm in the process of applying to pharmacy school. Does anyone have any suggestions for study materials that would help me to prepare to for the PCAT. I have seen many positive reviews for Dr. Collins but most of the replies state that the material is really for people not looking to relearn the material. I feel that I definitely need a refresher over all of the material that will be tested on the PCAT. I am planning on taking the test in October. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
You might want to first look into whether or not any pharmacy schools will accept your coursework at all. Many schools has a cut off of 4-5 year old coursework.

I think if you study well on your own then you could definitely get by with purchasing Dr.Collins and then supplementing it with free YouTube teaching videos! The chemistry and math ones are extremely superb!
If not, I would look into the Kaplan online PCAT prep. I’ve heard excellent reviews from it! Good luck :)

You might want to first look into whether or not any pharmacy schools will accept your coursework at all. Many schools has a cut off of 4-5 year old coursework.

I think if you study well on your own then you could definitely get by with purchasing Dr.Collins and then supplementing it with free YouTube teaching videos! The chemistry and math ones are extremely superb!
If not, I would look into the Kaplan online PCAT prep. I’ve heard excellent reviews from it! Good luck :)
Thank you DailyDaises!! I have found a school that has no age limit on my coursework and I have purchased the Dr, Collins. Some of the other post that I have read also suggest the YouTube video teachings as well, What about the Kaplan PCAT study guides?

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you DailyDaises!! I have found a school that has no age limit on my coursework and I have purchased the Dr, Collins. Some of the other post that I have read also suggest the YouTube video teachings as well, What about the Kaplan PCAT study guides?
I used the Kaplan PCAT study guides as an additional resource for Dr. Collin's biology section, especially since Dr. Collins gives little to no advice on it. However, I didn't find the Kaplan too useful as it wasn't my highest score on the PCAT :( But if you wanted to try it out anyways, I would suggest borrowing it from the library since it's free!