PCAT Testing Preparation Materials & Practice Test – Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CardaRx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to take the PCAT later this year and was hoping that someone with would be nice enough to recommend some PCAT preparation materials.If you have taken the PCAT what kind of preparation materials did you find useful and do you have any tips on preparing for the exam. I have heard that Examcrakers works well and was planning to purchase the entire set till I heard the Biology section of the Examcrackescan was overkill. So, in preparation for the PCAT, can someone please share advice, experience, books, materials such as:Practice TestExamCrackers – MCATThank you. :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I used the 2007 Kaplan PCAT test prep book, and I supplemented that with a Princeton GRE Chemistry Subject Test prep book (because I really needed to work on my chem review and just happened to have the book).

I felt it was really helpful - especially going through the review problems, solutions, and practice tests. I took the practice PCAT (from the book) a few weeks before the real thing, which helped A LOT because you have a good idea on what to focus on in your study.

I hadn't finished Physiology and Biology yet when I took the test, but I scored pretty well in the Bio part. I attribute that to the good Bio review in the book.

I hear that you can also take a practice PCAT online, with a fee.

I used Kaplan and Barron's books. I also used online supplements from google searches re: PCAT.

I used the Kaplan book. Don't read the whole thing, but take the diagnostic tests, see where you need help, and focus on those areas. I blew off the math thinking it was "just math" but it's been a few years since I've taken a straight math course so make sure you don't cheat yourself on the studying!

If you find you're really struggling in an area and Kaplan isn't covering it well enough for you, then I'd look at an extra book, but I would start with the Kaplan.

Also get involved with health sciences advising at your school (like a listserv that sends out weekly announcements/opportunities) - about once a quarter we are offered a chance to take a sample PCAT for FREE from Kaplan on campus. I didn't take advantage of it but it sounds like an awesome opportunity.