1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Pcat Writing Essay

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by TofuBlock, Aug 9, 2018.

1. TofuBlock

Hello,
    I’m just wondering, for the essay, I know that I have to propose a solution for a problem, but to support my argument, can I make up data? For example if it asks to solve problems with students using their phones in class, can I say like “oh we should do this because according to a research published by Dr. Bob, ...”?

Due to time constraint and limited knowledge on real data and stuffs, can I do that, as long as my argument makes sense?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. NextStepTutor_4

NextStepTutor_4 Next Step PCAT Expert

Hi @TofuBlock! You shouldn't make up data in order to support your argument. There are several ways to discuss possible trends without falsifying information. For example, you can say "Research has shown that phones have been increasingly embedded in our daily lives and has hindered performance in the classroom." This is certainly a true statement and you can imagine that there's been research on this specific topic area. The best way is to cite a specific research article, book, or media to support your argument but only if you have definitive non-falsified information.

Hope this helps!

TofuBlock likes this.
  4. DagS132

5+ Year Member

no, do not make up data. Do what nextsteptutor_4 is suggesting. I think I asked the same question and was able to get through the essay no problem following this person's advice.
    Just say something along the lines of the use of cell phones could decline productivity or ability to learn. Then go on to coming up with solutions for body paragraphs.

TofuBlock likes this.
  5. TofuBlock

Thank you very much!