PCIOL Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ituryu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to glenn from the experience of other ODs' and student ODs' here on refraction involving posterior chamber intraocular lenses. How often do you co-manage this sort of patients, and what are your peculiar findings in the aspects of retinoscopy, autorefraction, and subjective refraction. Tonometric values seems to be o.k, so no comments on this aspect would be required unless you think it would be valuable.
Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

ituryu said:
I would like to glenn from the experience of other ODs' and student ODs' here on refraction involving posterior chamber intraocular lenses. How often do you co-manage this sort of patients, and what are your peculiar findings in the aspects of retinoscopy, autorefraction, and subjective refraction. Tonometric values seems to be o.k, so no comments on this aspect would be required unless you think it would be valuable.

Refracting someone with Posterior Chamber IOLs should be done exactly like you do a regular refraction.
Autorefractors might not be accurate, I don't know about that, I would tend to trust my refraction more. Subjective refraction should be most reliable with these patients, these are older adults for the most part.
Right now Posterior Chamber IOLs (ECCE with IOL) are the cataract operations done most frequently. They have the fewest side effects, quicker recovery, but the patient may develop some opacity in the most posterior part of their original lens that was left during this operation later on... ~ 6 mo - 1 year. YAG Laser (a very quick procedure) should take care of that.
After initial inflammations subsides post operatively, tonometry readings may be a bit lower, not much, but some because a thick crystaline lense was removed.

There's tons of this information on the internet. Much more expanded than this.

Opii said:
Refracting someone with Posterior Chamber IOLs should be done exactly like you do a regular refraction.
Autorefractors might not be accurate, I don't know about that, I would tend to trust my refraction more. Subjective refraction should be most reliable with these patients, these are older adults for the most part.
Right now Posterior Chamber IOLs (ECCE with IOL) are the cataract operations done most frequently. They have the fewest side effects, quicker recovery, but the patient may develop some opacity in the most posterior part of their original lens that was left during this operation later on... ~ 6 mo - 1 year. YAG Laser (a very quick procedure) should take care of that.
After initial inflammations subsides post operatively, tonometry readings may be a bit lower, not much, but some because a thick crystaline lense was removed.

There's tons of this information on the internet. Much more expanded than this.
We don't really get to see this in school and thank God for In dustrial Trainings like this though it depends on the establishment you get into I can say I am the only on in my class getting the IOL experience, I do notice the inflammatory reactions of the patients and the use of steroids though I would say lotemax would have served better, or does it have side effect to the PCIOL? Thanks for the insight and can you give me a link of site on the net.