PCO and SUNY :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doveyes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know there have been similar posts in the past about this but before you throw tomatoes at me-- I've noticed a running pattern with people who've been accepted to both (and narrowed it down to those 2), and have chosen SUNY. This is only with the handful of students I've talked to though! That said, I'm just curious to see if anybody has been in the same predicament (accepted to both, top 2 choices) and has chosen PCO over SUNY and why (besides living in NY all your life or just wanting to get out of NY).

I've made my own long list of pros/cons which ended up being even for both sides, I've researched each school's clinics/curriculum/lifestyle/externship policies/expenses/etc., I've talked to students from both schools with great experiences, and it's still driving me nuts trying to decide which is best for me.

Although I've heard this side already--people who've decided to go with SUNY over PCO, I welcome your opinions as well! Please don't take this the wrong way--not trying to turn schools against each other because I truly admire both and will continue to with whichever school I choose. Everyone's different in what they look for in a school so this is really just my last resort of research and I'm just hoping to find something I haven't found or heard before. Hopefully that'll help tip the decision for me :) Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! Those are both excellent schools! I was accepted to PCO and will be attending this Fall. I have research both schools extensively because they were my top choices. I have been to both campus, which are very different. I am a New Yorker, and at 1st the thought of living anywhere besides New York did not even cross my mind ( I love NY!:D). However, when I finally visited PCO in July, my feelings had changed. I loved the campus, the friendly and supportive staff, and the newly built gym (very big positive for me:)). I also found the curriculum to be well organized and insightfull. They offer courses that SUNY does not have... Courses such as the Curriculum for Personal and Professional Development. This course includes exercises in goal setting, career & financial planning and debt management. This was a major plus for me because it is not enough to graduate optometry school and then have no idea what to do next. For someone who is not as well organized, this module will help you get prepare for life after optometry school. This module is throughout your 4 years, which is great and I was told that it really prepares students with both the financial and social aspects of the career. A very big positive for SUNY is their small class size. However, PCO does offer courses in small group settings such as Clinical Problem Solving. PCO offers externships almost everywhere in US except NY (negative for me). The living skills lab and William Feinbloom Vision Rehabilitation Center were also positives for me becuase I am interested in low vision. Both SUNY and PCO have strong clinics... but I was told that PCO's clinic will offer more ocular diseases, due to the patient base.
I was not accepted to SUNY but it turned out for the best because I know I will be happy and be able flourish in PCO.
PCO 2014!!!!!!!:D
Hope this helps! Let us know what you decide! Either way you will not lose!

Congrats! Those are both excellent schools! I was accepted to PCO and will be attending this Fall. I have research both schools extensively because they were my top choices. I have been to both campus, which are very different. I am a New Yorker, and at 1st the thought of living anywhere besides New York did not even cross my mind ( I love NY!:D). However, when I finally visited PCO in July, my feelings had changed. I loved the campus, the friendly and supportive staff, and the newly built gym (very big positive for me:)). I also found the curriculum to be well organized and insightfull. They offer courses that SUNY does not have... Courses such as the Curriculum for Personal and Professional Development. This course includes exercises in goal setting, career & financial planning and debt management. This was a major plus for me because it is not enough to graduate optometry school and then have no idea what to do next. For someone who is not as well organized, this module will help you get prepare for life after optometry school. This module is throughout your 4 years, which is great and I was told that it really prepares students with both the financial and social aspects of the career. A very big positive for SUNY is their small class size. However, PCO does offer courses in small group settings such as Clinical Problem Solving. PCO offers externships almost everywhere in US except NY (negative for me). The living skills lab and William Feinbloom Vision Rehabilitation Center were also positives for me becuase I am interested in low vision. Both SUNY and PCO have strong clinics... but I was told that PCO's clinic will offer more ocular diseases, due to the patient base.
I was not accepted to SUNY but it turned out for the best because I know I will be happy and be able flourish in PCO.
PCO 2014!!!!!!!:D
Hope this helps! Let us know what you decide! Either way you will not lose!

but I was told that PCO's clinic will offer more ocular diseases, due to the patient base.

---Really? I heard the exact opposite. Not saying you are wrong, I'm just saying.

Regardless, SUNY is a great school. We learn a lot of practical things early on. I know a few people at PCO who haven't really even begun to do some of the things we have been doing like Retinoscopy, Ophthalmascopy, etc. etc.

So that's something to think about as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your decision! I'll see you in July for housing day :) For me, I was accepted to both schools too but I think SUNY had a few things that I was looking for in a school that PCO did not. I'm sure you already know what those things are though...you chose SUNY!

but I was told that PCO's clinic will offer more ocular diseases, due to the patient base.

---Really? I heard the exact opposite. Not saying you are wrong, I'm just saying.

Regardless, SUNY is a great school. We learn a lot of practical things early on. I know a few people at PCO who haven't really even begun to do some of the things we have been doing like Retinoscopy, Ophthalmascopy, etc. etc.

So that's something to think about as well.

Both SUNY and PCO have a very large clinic with a diverse patient population. It is wrong (I think) to say that at either school you should get to see more ocular diseases.

Thanks for all the replies so far :) I read that PCO sees about 40,000 patients a year and SUNY 80,000 but correct me if I'm wrong. On the flip side, PCO offers a little more flexibility with externships--starting a semester earlier and just requiring 1 in-house rotation whereas SUNY requires 2 in-house/half of externships in NYC. It's tough! see how I easily came up with an even list of pros and cons for both? :)

Thanks for all the replies so far :) I read that PCO sees about 40,000 patients a year and SUNY 80,000 but correct me if I'm wrong. On the flip side, PCO offers a little more flexibility with externships--starting a semester earlier and just requiring 1 in-house rotation whereas SUNY requires 2 in-house/half of externships in NYC. It's tough! see how I easily came up with an even list of pros and cons for both? :)

Listen to your heart!;)

That seems accurate. What's most important, and why I think both PCO and SUNY are great schools, is that the patient population is so diverse, that you'll see a great variety of medical conditions. Not all optometry schools have clinics that are that good. And yes, you do start externships a bit sooner at PCO, but also keep in mind that by New York State Law you can only get an externship in New York if you go to SUNY (this law doesn't apply to VA hospitals).

I absolutly love it at SUNY.
The clinic experience is SOOO good!

I am sure PCO is great too though!

As far as which one to pick? Check out the article on my website about "how to pick the right optometry school"

Picking an optometry school is like picking out your suit for your interview... It is a custom fit.

Does anyone know if P.C.O. offers an O.D./Master's or O.D./Ph.D. program?

Thanks.

The VP of Admissions that I spoke with mentioned they were trying to get a masters in public health program (online) started, that you could do in conjunction with your OD if desired. But I'm not so sure about existing programs :\

I absolutly love it at SUNY.
The clinic experience is SOOO good!

I am sure PCO is great too though!

As far as which one to pick? Check out the article on my website about "how to pick the right optometry school"

Picking an optometry school is like picking out your suit for your interview... It is a custom fit.

I actually did read this website too :) definitely took those points into consideration and found it very helpful.

In terms of places to live in NY... for a triple that's about 750 per person, can you get a decent room 20 min away by subway? I've heard Queens is a popular place to stay but getting an apt prob means no door man, amenities, small space, and this is just an assumption but--old and rundown? also, are most neighborhoods noisy or can you find quiet places to live too?

I actually did read this website too :) definitely took those points into consideration and found it very helpful.

In terms of places to live in NY... for a triple that's about 750 per person, can you get a decent room 20 min away by subway? I've heard Queens is a popular place to stay but getting an apt prob means no door man, amenities, small space, and this is just an assumption but--old and rundown? also, are most neighborhoods noisy or can you find quiet places to live too?

20 minutes for a triple at 750 per person is def doable in Queens. That might become about 25 minutes though door to door depending on how far from the subway you live.

And yes, no amenities, nothing. In terms of run down. Most apartment buildings are very old. I live in 4 year old building and love it. I'd much rather prefer to live in a newer building but that doesn't mean living in an older building is bad or anything.

And most neighborhoods in queens are pretty quiet.

Does mean you are going SUNY???
I live in Queens and would recommend Queens if not Brooklyn to live in... because it is cheaper...