PCO Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaHOOS06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I thought I'd start a thread for everyone that will be going to PCO this upcoming fall. This way we can get to know each other and ask each other questions about general admissions stuff, housing, etc.

I actually have a question about housing. Could those of you already at PCO giving me the names of nice & safe apts around the school and include the website to the apt/rental company. I only know about a few places and some seem pricey. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

The Wyncote House is where I live...it is really nice. No mice, maintainance is good, you get hot water and the heaters aren't broken like in the colonade...
rent is about 875 for a 1 bedroom or 1300 for a 2 bedroom.
Another nice place is the Trilogy Apartments, its a bit further away from PCO then Wyncote but is a lot nicer and slightly more expensive.
Everyone I know who lives in Colonade cant wait to move out...so do make your choice very carefully if you consider the Colonade...
good luck to all of you

WaHOOS06 said:
Hey everyone!

I thought I'd start a thread for everyone that will be going to PCO this upcoming fall. This way we can get to know each other and ask each other questions about general admissions stuff, housing, etc.

I actually have a question about housing. Could those of you already at PCO giving me the names of nice & safe apts around the school and include the website to the apt/rental company. I only know about a few places and some seem pricey. Thanks so much!

jehu said:
The Wyncote House is where I live...it is really nice. No mice, maintainance is good, you get hot water and the heaters aren't broken like in the colonade...
rent is about 875 for a 1 bedroom or 1300 for a 2 bedroom.
Another nice place is the Trilogy Apartments, its a bit further away from PCO then Wyncote but is a lot nicer and slightly more expensive.
Everyone I know who lives in Colonade cant wait to move out...so do make your choice very carefully if you consider the Colonade...
good luck to all of you

i agree with jehu...wyncote is nice and safe and walking distance, trilogy is more expensive, about 2 miles from campus, and really nice..just depends how close to campus you want and how much u wanna spend.i dont' know a link for wyncote, but trilogy is trilogyapts.com....i live at trilogy if you have any more questions

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it usually hard to get a place in Wyncote and Trilogy?

I'm planning on driving up 2 months ahead to find a place, and hoping for a place at either. Would i find a vacant spot?

WaHOOS06 said:
Hey everyone!

Actually Colonade is not that bad either. Even though there are many rumours about Colonade, I do not think they are true. you should consider colonade for following reasons:
1: Colonade is cheaper than Wyncote or Tri
2: As far as I know, I do not see a single mouse (but according to rumours, there are mice)
3: It is very close to PCO. (5 mins walking distance)
4: you get free hot water and heater. (you do not need to pay for gas or water)

It is not true that people from Colonade want to move out. Some might and they are probably from Manor Building. Some are even moving to Colonade from Trill for mainly 2 reasons. 1 Expensive 2 kind of far from PCO.
It just depends on individual preference. Of course, Wyncote is nicer since it is more expensive.

WaHOOS06 said:
Hey everyone!

Hey thanks for putting up this thread I was just about to do it myself. I also will be attending PCO this fall. I am wondering if you are from California, because I am anyway anyone who needs an extra roommate or to room with message me.

Thank you!!!

Pco2010 said:
Hey thanks for putting up this thread I was just about to do it myself. I also will be attending PCO this fall. I am wondering if you are from California, because I am anyway anyone who needs an extra roommate or to room with message me.

Thank you!!!

No, I am actually from Virginia. I am starting to look at the apts that have been suggested and Trilogy and Wynecote seem a little pricer than I want. I still want safe and nice, but for around $500/ person. I most likely want a 2 bedroom, so I'll be looking for one female roommate to share an apt with. I thought I heard something about a roommate match thing at my interview. Can those of you at PCO give me any insight on how you went about finding your place/roommate? Thanks so much!

Let me guess Wahoos06, you go to UVa? I'm from Richmond, VA. What part of VA are you from?

akwong44, whats goin on??
if anyone needs the number for Wyncote House, send me a private message and I'll be more then happy to help out.
You'd need to call a few months in advance to put your name on a list for a room.
And if anyone needs numbers of aat least 20 ppl who dont like the Colonade, I can get those for you so you can hear it first hand from ppl who see mice... dont have good maintainance service, dont get hot water in the mornings and get hot air when they dont want it and not enough when they need it.
Im just here to help you guys out so you dont get stuck with a horrible place...here's a website for a place that has tenents reviewing their apartments. This is how I made my decision not to live there
http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/PA-Jenkintown-Colonade-Apartments.html
good luck everyone!!

akwong44 said:
i agree with jehu...wyncote is nice and safe and walking distance, trilogy is more expensive, about 2 miles from campus, and really nice..just depends how close to campus you want and how much u wanna spend.i dont' know a link for wyncote, but trilogy is trilogyapts.com....i live at trilogy if you have any more questions

WaHOOS06 said:
No, I am actually from Virginia. I am starting to look at the apts that have been suggested and Trilogy and Wynecote seem a little pricer than I want. I still want safe and nice, but for around $500/ person. I most likely want a 2 bedroom, so I'll be looking for one female roommate to share an apt with. I thought I heard something about a roommate match thing at my interview. Can those of you at PCO give me any insight on how you went about finding your place/roommate? Thanks so much!

If you can only afford 500 a month, you might need 2 roomates. you can get a 3 bedrooms apartment at colonade if you only want to pay 500 a person and you want to live close to PCO. By the way I checked out the website which talks about Colonade. Not all people hate Colonade. Most people who hate Colonade are from Manor Building. Check all 40 comments before you decide. There are cheap places which are a bit far from PCO. you can rent a town house or you can rent a house near TEI. You just have to come to PA and look around to see your match. Good Luck finding the one you want.

Pco2010 said:

Thank you!!!
Whcih part of California are you from? I am from LA

I'm driving up in mid-February to look at apartments. I'll let you guys know what I think.

You can definitely pay $500 (or less) a month if you have a car and don't mind driving to school. A lot of people do. Regency Park is really cheap- $700ish for a 2 bedroom, and decent- 10-15 min. Meadowbrook (kormanresidential.com/meadowbrook) in Huntingdon Valley is really nice, $1100 for a 2 bedroom and only 5-10 min. And Brookview in Elkins Park is a little more expensive, but probably the nicest, and is close by too. You'll get a password for a housing website though when you get accepted with roommate stuff and a list of housing in the area. Stay away from Lynnewood Gardens and Adams Run. And anything close to clinic really. Good luck.

PS please message me if you're going to look at Meadowbrook

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much everyone! You all have been very helpful with the websites and your input. Nothing is like hearing it first hand from students already there. Thanks jehu for the website. After reading what you guys have been saying, looking at websites and reading ratings, I think I am leaning towards either Trilogy or Wyncote. Are there any other nice, safe apartments besides the ones mentioned that I shoudl consider? When comparing these Wyncote House and Trilogy, which do you guys think is safest, Trilogy seemed to have a lot of security. Price wise they seem to be more or less the same, but maybe I'm wrong. I want to live somewhere that I can study at home, I don't want to be around noisey students from other schools, etc. How do these apartments rank in terms of noise and the type of people that live there (are there a lot of professional students, or adults?). I've done the vomit/beer can trashed apartment building thing the past few years, so a change would be nice. Also, for these two apartments, how far in advance should I look into putting in a deposit so that all the good apts aren't taken? Thanks so much! :)

Does everybody drive their own cars? I have an issue with driving so that is a concern for me. Is the Eye Institute easy to get to with public transportation? Which apartments are walkable distance from PCO?

Also how often do students get to go home? I heard that after the first year students don't really have a summer break anymore.

One more question: Is it recommended to work and study optometry? If so, how many hours?

ppa93 said:
Whcih part of California are you from? I am from LA

I am from Irvine are you comming back this summer?

Anytime, no need to thank. I was in those shoes about a year ago so I know how it is...and an upperclassmen helped me out so I thought I'd help out whoever I can. Between Wyncote and Trilogy...theyre both very safe..I dont think either is more safe then the other...Wyncote is closer to PCO so I would suggest for Trilogy to either have a car or a roomie who has a car. From the Wyncote I can walk to PCO whenever I want its about an 8 minute walk. Now Im not quite familiar with Trilogy, you'd have to ask Akwong44 but at Wyncote the only 'students' or young people that live there are PCO students. They dont allow anyone else to live there because its somewhat of a retirement home. That means old people :)...and theyre great. Its always quiet here and whoever you see thats a student is a PCO student. If you have any questions for Trilogy...Akwong is the one you should talk to, she'd be more the happy to help out.
good luck again :)

WaHOOS06 said:
Thanks so much everyone! You all have been very helpful with the websites and your input. Nothing is like hearing it first hand from students already there. Thanks jehu for the website. After reading what you guys have been saying, looking at websites and reading ratings, I think I am leaning towards either Trilogy or Wyncote. Are there any other nice, safe apartments besides the ones mentioned that I shoudl consider? When comparing these Wyncote House and Trilogy, which do you guys think is safest, Trilogy seemed to have a lot of security. Price wise they seem to be more or less the same, but maybe I'm wrong. I want to live somewhere that I can study at home, I don't want to be around noisey students from other schools, etc. How do these apartments rank in terms of noise and the type of people that live there (are there a lot of professional students, or adults?). I've done the vomit/beer can trashed apartment building thing the past few years, so a change would be nice. Also, for these two apartments, how far in advance should I look into putting in a deposit so that all the good apts aren't taken? Thanks so much! :)

WaHOOS06 said:
Hey everyone!

I live in the Elkins Park Terrace apartments. So far, I cannot complain. The apartment building is small and the residents are all very nice/respectful. It is in a safe location. The apartments are a decent size. My 2 bdrm. is about 1200 square feet. I have had some occassional problems with plumbing. However, they were corrected within a day of my complaint. The supervisor is very attentive and helpful. While the school is not within walking distance, it is only 2 miles away (takes about 4 min. to get to PCO). The rent is around $700 for a one bedroom and $940 for a two bedroom. I have to pay all utilities. It is a very pet friendly environment. While the site below only specifies cats, they do take dogs. There are other PCO students living here.
If you're interested in looking at these apartments, please let me know.
Here is a link to some more information:
http://www.4wallsinphilly.com/montco/elkinspark/elkinspark.htm

you mentioned wanting to live somewhere you can study...trilogy is very quiet but they also have their own small library/study in building two if you distract yourself at home like i do!. It has computers, printers, and a copier as well as tables you can work at. trilogy is mostly older people mixed with students from arcadia (a university near by) and some PCO students. trilogy also has a great gym if you like working out with raquetball courts and a basketball court.

When is a good time to start looking for housing? Also when is PCO going to give us the list of students for potential roommates?

Pco2010 said:
When is a good time to start looking for housing? Also when is PCO going to give us the list of students for potential roommates?
I already planned to come back to LA to do the clerkship at Covina but I have some problems regarding transportation because I brought my car here. So you are an OC boy huh? OC is always beautiful. Any way, I think you should start looking for the apartments 2 to 3 months in advance.
Let me know if u have more questions.

Nimue619 said:
Does everybody drive their own cars? I have an issue with driving so that is a concern for me. Is the Eye Institute easy to get to with public transportation? Which apartments are walkable distance from PCO?

Also how often do students get to go home? I heard that after the first year students don't really have a summer break anymore.

One more question: Is it recommended to work and study optometry? If so, how many hours?
You can get to TEI by bus but having a car will be more convinient or if you know someone in your group who has a car, it will be great as well. you can car pool. Wyncote and Colonade are walkable distance from PCO. 5 mins for COlonade and 8 to 10 mins from Wyncote. if you are from somewhere far (such as California) it is hard for you to go home. if u live in the east coast, you can go home on weekends. We do have a lot of holidays the first semester. If you want to know exactly how many days, I can let you know. if you are from Cali or somewhere far, u can go home twice in Fall semester (1. Thanksgiving holidays for one week and 2 Christmas holidays for 3 weeks).
if you are in need of money, I suggest u do work study because the first semester is not that hard and it is okay to do workstudy. I did work study for 73 hours in the first semester.
I dont know what your financial situation is. if you dont need money, then do not do work study.

Just wondering how's the student life at PCO? Is everyone in first year one big "community" that hang out together that help each other..know each other or are they segregated? Does PCO hold events for students?

Oh and how are the profs at PCO? Friendly? Go out of your way to make you do good? Dedicated to us?

ML1983 said:
Just wondering how's the student life at PCO? Is everyone in first year one big "community" that hang out together that help each other..know each other or are they segregated? Does PCO hold events for students?
PCO will hold Events for incoming students. The welcoming party was good. The student life at PCO is not too bad. Most of the time, you will be studying. I think the first year was segregated because it is a big class and there is no way everyone can hang out as a big community.

Hello everyone, I am from Moreno Valley Ca and will be attending PCO in the fall and the summer enrichment program this summer, like many of you I am looking for insight into PCO and my future peers . . .

For those of you that are from Cali, why did you choose PCO over somewhere like SCCO?

Do you feel it would be more of a benefit to go to school in the state you want to practice in?

These are some questions some SCCO students asked me and I would just like to know everyone else's perspective . . .

Ok, I just got back from Philly this evening after 2 days of apartment hunting. Here are my opinions:

1. Colonade-- the model was actually really nice and I was pleasantly suprised. But, we kind of got lost looking for the leasing office and stumbled upon some really nasty-looking hallways. And it was smelly. So, I get the feeling that the actual apartments don't exactly look like the model. Keep that in mind. I heard a story about a girl that happened to. She thought she was getting a nice apartment but got something completely different. Bad thing, no security.

2. The Plaza Apartments-- they were ok, but pricey, and there were a lot of senior citizens. That might be ok for some, but I still want to feel like I'm in college. And it was a little bit smelly.

3. Wyncote-- not nearly as nice as everyone makes it out to be. I wasn't impressed. Still a lot of senior citizens.

4. Trilogy-- by far my favorite. The apartment was clean and everything was brand new. It is a little pricey, but I'd rather have a little bit of a smaller place and have it look nice. It comes with a washer/dryer, microwave, and dishwasher. Try the studio with the alcove... they're bigger than a studio but cheaper than a one bedroom. The fitness center was awesome, pool, movie theater, spa, salon, restaurant, pilates, and they had great security. They even bring in your groceries for you. After I went here I stopped looking.

5. Elkins Park Terrace -- I actually liked this place. It wasn't as nice, but the rent was cheaper, and it felt like a place someone my age would live in. The bedroom was huge and the kitchen was pretty nice (it had a dishwasher).

So this is what I thought. You may feel different. It just depends on what you're looking for I guess. Nice kitchens, bathrooms, and the social environment were important to me.

S_SEEN2020 said:
Hello everyone, I am from Moreno Valley Ca and will be attending PCO in the fall and the summer enrichment program this summer, like many of you I am looking for insight into PCO and my future peers . . .

For those of you that are from Cali, why did you choose PCO over somewhere like SCCO?

Do you feel it would be more of a benefit to go to school in the state you want to practice in?

These are some questions some SCCO students asked me and I would just like to know everyone else's perspective . . .

What a good choice you made. I am sure you will have the best experience ever in pco (good or/and bad). As for me, the weather is bothering me. (snow storm) wow. still it is a good experience for me. There are cons and pros for both PCO and SCCO, so it just depends on u. I dont think going to school in the state you want to practice in shouldnt make a difference because an OD degree is an OD degree. As long as you have all the necessary documents, u can practice anywhere.

Hi Rebecca, how are you? My name is ahmad, and I was recently accepted to pco...right now, I'm living in chicago til may, i'm trying to decide where to go to school....did you to high school in richmond? i went to godwin and graduated in 2000. Talk to me about what you think of pco? you can email me at [email protected] if you you like?
thanks!

Rebecca1234 said:
Let me guess Wahoos06, you go to UVa? I'm from Richmond, VA. What part of VA are you from?

if you're from cali, you'll think philly is a dump imo. no place to hang out, not many food places, driving sucks here. basically, you can't wait to go home on breaks. speaking of which, one and a half week for me! WOOHOO! in n out here i come! albertos here i come! asian cafes and REAL tapioca/boba drinks here i come!

KaBlamO said:
if you're from cali, you'll think philly is a dump imo. no place to hang out, not many food places, driving sucks here. basically, you can't wait to go home on breaks. speaking of which, one and a half week for me! WOOHOO! in n out here i come! albertos here i come! asian cafes and REAL tapioca/boba drinks here i come!
I totally agree with you.

Has anyone received a login/password for PCO's message board?

Hey everyone! I just recently sent in my deposit for PCO, so I guess I'll be seeing you all in the fall!
About the school's message board: I called the school today and I was told that if I did not receive my userid and password for blackboard by the end of the week they'd give it to me over the phone...

dietcherrycoke said:
Hey everyone! I just recently sent in my deposit for PCO, so I guess I'll be seeing you all in the fall!
About the school's message board: I called the school today and I was told that if I did not receive my userid and password for blackboard by the end of the week they'd give it to me over the phone...

Hey, i posted this in another thread, but I got my userid and password last Friday in the mail. They sent it out on Feb. 28.

I was told today that the financial aid office will be mailing out our packets soon. Be on the look out :) Also, if you had a temporary address, make sure you notifiy admissions and the registrar of when to use your permanent address to ensure you recieve the information you need. I had a different address while I was in school, and although I graduated and called and changed the address on my matriculation form they still send things to the school address. Which isn't good because it takes sooo long for mail to get forwarded.

Question: on the housing page, I see where I can make a roommate profile, but what if I want to post housing information on the housing page; How do I do that? :confused:

Good Luck to everyone, can't wait to meet ya'll! :love:

akwong44 said:

I am currently looking at options on the internet before I actually go apt. hunting in April. I was wondering...How much does your utilities usually run you?

KelliMW said:
Ok, I just got back from Philly this evening after 2 days of apartment hunting. Here are my opinions:

That's really helpful information. What are the rent options for the Trilogy Apts? Are they like dorms, apartments, or houses?

Do you think that living in philly makes any sense? A friend of mine is living in Philly and needs a roommate, and I'm considering it.

Does anyone that goes to PCO live in Philadelphia?

Hi all,

First of all, congratz on your acceptance to PCO; I'm sure you won't regret it (evil laugh).
1.) Rent, I have a 1 yr lease, but I do know some that went by 9 months. It's either they renew it again before the lease expires or they've already picked another place to live. It's really a matter of choice on whether u will be staying in that particular place for a long period of time
2.) Ultilities, hmm.. Wyncote used to be pretty good. 1 Bedrm cost around 20 dollars per month; however, they've laid other charges on us such as heat/AC/Hotwater etc etc. So IF you NEVER turn on the "tenant remote" on heat (they have centralized Heating/Ac but u can adjust it in which it'll cost u extra), then it'll be around 55 dollars a month.
3.) Internet, currently mine is 57 USD per month (comcast) because I don't have a TV/Cable, so its' more exp. If you have Cable, it's somehow cheaper. I heard Verizon DSL is a better choice (pretty much same speed)
4.) Living in Philly!! I have friends who live in central Philly; they ended up driving around 30 mins - 1 hr EACH way to school everyday because of distance and traffic. I wouldnt' recommend it because you'll be annoyed very soon as to how long you have to drive per day. (Think about it, you lose around 2 hrs time /day of studying/slacking) =)

Well, anymore Q give me a msg ! =)

Hey everyone,

I will most likely be taking a road trip up to PCO to look at Trilogy and Wyncote Apts this upcoming Friday. I am looking for one female roommate to share a 2 bedroom apt with. I'm looking for someone who is fun and easy going, but also serious about academics. Email me if you're interested. Are there any other places you guys think I should look at? I want a nice, safe place to live in next year. I would like it to be a nice, modern/new looking apt that has a washer and dryer in the apt. I want to end my college days of hauling my laundry back and forth from the laundry room. Thanks for the help!

I got an apartment today. Its in Trilogy Building 3, apartment 1109. :love:

KelliMW said:
I got an apartment today. Its in Trilogy Building 3, apartment 1109. :love:

awesome. my family and i are heading up saturday to check them out. what other places should we look at if we want something nice?

lotta placese left in trilogy for the fall? only singles?

I asked for a studio w/ alcove and there were only 2, including mine. I don't know about the other sizes.

How much did you pay for your studio? I'm guessing your rent starts in August?

Katalio said:
Hi all,

First of all, congratz on your acceptance to PCO; I'm sure you won't regret it (evil laugh).
1.) Rent, I have a 1 yr lease, but I do know some that went by 9 months. It's either they renew it again before the lease expires or they've already picked another place to live. It's really a matter of choice on whether u will be staying in that particular place for a long period of time
2.) Ultilities, hmm.. Wyncote used to be pretty good. 1 Bedrm cost around 20 dollars per month; however, they've laid other charges on us such as heat/AC/Hotwater etc etc. So IF you NEVER turn on the "tenant remote" on heat (they have centralized Heating/Ac but u can adjust it in which it'll cost u extra), then it'll be around 55 dollars a month.
3.) Internet, currently mine is 57 USD per month (comcast) because I don't have a TV/Cable, so its' more exp. If you have Cable, it's somehow cheaper. I heard Verizon DSL is a better choice (pretty much same speed)
4.) Living in Philly!! I have friends who live in central Philly; they ended up driving around 30 mins - 1 hr EACH way to school everyday because of distance and traffic. I wouldnt' recommend it because you'll be annoyed very soon as to how long you have to drive per day. (Think about it, you lose around 2 hrs time /day of studying/slacking) =)

Well, anymore Q give me a msg ! =)
No 4 is true. I know him as well but i dont think it is worth driving. He drives everyday because he lives with his parents and he needs not pay for rent or food.
For comcast cable, u can get it cheap for first six months. it costs me 20 dollars for six months. There is 1 time installation fee of 49. if u got roomates, try to disconnect it after 6 months then apply for it again with ur roomate name. kylvin, try to call comcast and tell them that u wanna disconnect because the verizon gives u a better deal. if u do that, they will lower it to 40 bucks for another 6 months.

for colonade apartments, we need not pay for anything except electricity. it costs around 60 bucks for a 3 bed room apartment.

i hope this helps.

ML1983 said:
How much did you pay for your studio? I'm guessing your rent starts in August?

My rent in $860, and its a studio with an extra area for my bed. My lease starts in July, but I probably wont be there till August.

Hey everyone,

I recently signed a lease at Trilogy this past Monday for a 2 bedroom/2 bath. I am looking for a female roommate who is clean, fun, easy going, but also studious. One of the bedrooms is larger than the other - it has more than twice as much closet space, bigger size and a bigger bathroom. I will be living in the smaller room and I'm looking for someone to live in the bigger one. The rent will be adjusted so that the person living in the bigger room will pay more. Email me if you are interested.

Does the Wyncote House have W/D or at least hookups?

Hey Guys
Does anyone know what is the exact date of the beginning of the academic year for first yr students. Is it august 29th.

thanks

sweetzpassion said:
Hey Guys
Does anyone know what is the exact date of the beginning of the academic year for first yr students. Is it august 29th.

thanks

Hey,

When I talked to the financial aid office, someone told me August 21st (Monday) is the first day of Orientation. I don't know how long orientation is though. Sorry not much help :oops:

PCO2010_OD said:
Does the Wyncote House have W/D or at least hookups?

When I visited Wyncote House, they had apts with and without a W/D. The two bedroom with the W/D was $1600. The two bedroom w/o a W/D was cheaper, I think it was about $1200 or $1300, I can't remember, but it was cheaper. They have a laundry room on the floor for you to use. Hope this helps.