PCO class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pco2010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would like to start a thread for all the people who will be attending PCO this coming fall. This way everyone can get to know eachother and also a good way to find potential roommates.

I will start by introducing myself. I am Irvine, California. I am currently interested in Colonade apartment, which has 3 rooms and I am planning to seek 2 other roommates. We will each have a room and we will have the rent split by 3 with sharing DSL or Cable Internet connection. Let me know if anyone is interested. Also the apartment is within 5 mins walking range from PCO.

Members don't see this ad.

Well I'll be attending PCO in the fall too. I'm from Toronto, and I'm a biomedical student from the University of Waterloo.

I'm most likely gonna get a one bedroom or bachelor (studio) at Colonade, Trilogy or Wyncote. Like to know people before I live with 'em! I also heard this first year class at PCO had to greatest number of students living by themself.

Any other Canadians going to PCO this Fall? :)

Hey, I'll be at PCO as well. I'm from Edmonton, finished a degree in pharmacology from the University of Alberta.

Yeah, I'm looking at a place in Wyncote, Trilogy or somewhere else...I don't know if I'll get a roommate as of yet.

Can't wait for fall class!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a Southern Californian gal that attended Prairie View A&M University in Texas. I graduated this past December with my B.S. (I was a biology major with a chemistry minor). I am in the process of purchasng a home and may be looking for one or two more roommates.

Btw, does anyone know of any local banks in PCO? I guess the bank that is the most "frequent" around the PCO area.

ML1983 said:
Btw, does anyone know of any local banks in PCO? I guess the bank that is the most "frequent" around the PCO area.
When I went down there they had Bank of America, Wachovia, and banks exclusive to pennsylvania (there were some others, but those were the closests to the school and clinic)

Katalio said:

^-- don't listen to this guy!!! :p

BofA is the way to go!!! branches on the east and west coast.

KaBlamO said:
^-- don't listen to this guy!!! :p

BofA is the way to go!!! branches on the east and west coast.
Let me be honest. I have a BOA account, but I think Wachovia is the way to go because they got an ATM machine at PCO.

I'll Be Attending Pco In Fall, Im From Ny, Ny. Im Going To Graduate With A Biology Degree. I'm Currently Not Sure Where Im Going To Live, I Would Like It To Be Near Pco. I Only Been There Once, When I Had My Interview A Month Ago. I Need To Go Down There Again To Further Familiar My Self With The Surrounding Towns Of Pco, If You Guys Have Any Extra Info On Housing Or Roommates Please Pass It Along, Thanks And Ill See You Guys In The Fall ;)

I cant wait to meet everyone!!! Congrat everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone! :)

guess i'll introduce myself too. i'm a girl from southern california near LA, but i went to school in san diego. i don't really want to live by myself in a new state, so i would like to have a roomie or two, so i can be lost with people in a new town. jk.

anyway, i remember that PCO said they'll give us a link to students posting for roomies online. does anyone have that website? thanks!

see ya guys this fall and congrats! :)

They haven't sent the list out yet. They told me that we probably won't get anymore info until May. Congratulations!

bizibee said:

guess i'll introduce myself too. i'm a girl from southern california near LA, but i went to school in san diego. i don't really want to live by myself in a new state, so i would like to have a roomie or two, so i can be lost with people in a new town. jk.

anyway, i remember that PCO said they'll give us a link to students posting for roomies online. does anyone have that website? thanks!

you socal people better get ready for a great downgrade in living when you get here. it's definitely not socal life. food is whatever, driving sucks, etc... and stick with BofA, b/c it will be easier to deal with when you're home and won't need a new atm card. don't listen to katalio cuz he's from canada and doesn't know US banking. =P i'm serious! anyhow, had chinese food in chinatown and it wasn't as good as sam woo. no 99 ranch, no tapioca express, no in n out, no togos. yea, nothing here. just this damn cold weather!!!!

ppa... it doesn't matter if the atm is inside the school. heck, i haven't even gone to the bank since i've been back. i just use credit or have enough cash to last me until i go home again. plus the bofa is not even far. just my $0.02

KaBlamO said:
you socal people better get ready for a great downgrade in living when you get here. it's definitely not socal life. food is whatever, driving sucks, etc... and stick with BofA, b/c it will be easier to deal with when you're home and won't need a new atm card. don't listen to katalio cuz he's from canada and doesn't know US banking. =P i'm serious! anyhow, had chinese food in chinatown and it wasn't as good as sam woo. no 99 ranch, no tapioca express, no in n out, no togos. yea, nothing here. just this damn cold weather!!!!

ppa... it doesn't matter if the atm is inside the school. heck, i haven't even gone to the bank since i've been back. i just use credit or have enough cash to last me until i go home again. plus the bofa is not even far. just my $0.02

Oh, you guys are spoiled. Sooner or later you'll have to move to other places for a good salary. So get used to having no chinese food at all. :)

blazenmadison said:
Oh, you guys are spoiled. Sooner or later you'll have to move to other places for a good salary. So get used to having no chinese food at all. :)

yea... move back to socal!!!! good food there. heck, i cook my own food if i want good food. :D

KaBlamO said:
yea... move back to socal!!!! good food there. heck, i cook my own food if i want good food. :D

*faints*

Hey for those that accepted PCO...are you concerned at all that they will be renovating the clinic while you're attending? They told me that they will try to minimize the effect it has on the students while they're in the clinic, but it's my understanding that they're practically gutting the whole thing. And it's been my experience that construction at schools always limits things and is a hassle. Any feedback?

bizibee said:

Hey guys, I just got a letter in the mail. It has my user-id so you can login to the blackboard and your e-mail. The blackboard has all the housing and such.

Hey everyone-
I am a female from Arizona and will also be attending PCO in the fall. I just wanted to say hi to my future classmates and hopefully get some advice from those who are already attending. I am looking into housing possibilities and was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Trilogy apartments. I looked on their website and the apartments seem pretty nice. I would really appreciate any help! Thank you!!
By the way, anyone looking for a roomate??

baf84 said:
Hey everyone-
I am a female from Arizona and will also be attending PCO in the fall. I just wanted to say hi to my future classmates and hopefully get some advice from those who are already attending. I am looking into housing possibilities and was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Trilogy apartments. I looked on their website and the apartments seem pretty nice. I would really appreciate any help! Thank you!!
By the way, anyone looking for a roomate??

Trilog apartments are really nice. There are two problems with trilogy.
1. it is a bit more expensive.
2. it is far from PCO. if u dont have a car, it isnt a good idea for u to live in trilogy. if you do have a car, there should be no problem.

Congrats to all of you going to PCO!

About triology..I lived there for two years...its not at all far from the campus...8-10 minutes...and there's a shortcut to TEI....PM me if you would like to know it. Also, a lot of Arcadia students live in building 2 & 3, some of them have lots of parties, so ask the leasing agent for a floor without them or choose building 1 which has less Arcadia students there.

I can't believe I am graduating...I had a great time at PCO and the clinical experience you will receive is great! :)

christie said:
Congrats to all of you going to PCO!

About triology..I lived there for two years...its not at all far from the campus...8-10 minutes...and there's a shortcut to TEI....PM me if you would like to know it. Also, a lot of Arcadia students live in building 2 & 3, some of them have lots of parties, so ask the leasing agent for a floor without them or choose building 1 which has less Arcadia students there.

I can't believe I am graduating...I had a great time at PCO and the clinical experience you will receive is great! :)

Please include 8-10 mins driving. I always go there and it takes more than 10 mins by driving. more like 15 mins. You cannot drive really fast because township line road is uneven and narrow.

Thanks for your advice! I have one other quick question-my cell phone contract ends in a couple weeks and I don't know if I should stick with Verizon or not since it only seems to work in certain places(plus I'm coming from AZ)-what service do you think works best around PCO/some of the different apartments? Thank you!

baf84 said:
Thanks for your advice! I have one other quick question-my cell phone contract ends in a couple weeks and I don't know if I should stick with Verizon or not since it only seems to work in certain places(plus I'm coming from AZ)-what service do you think works best around PCO/some of the different apartments? Thank you!
If you want it cheap, try T mobile. T mobile works okay. i heard verizone doesnt do a good job in Philly. i dont know about the rest

ppa93 said:
Please include 8-10 mins driving. I always go there and it takes more than 10 mins by driving. more like 15 mins. You cannot drive really fast because township line road is uneven and narrow.

I live in Trilogy...takes me about 10 min....and they also have a shuttle service that has included 2 drop off/pick ups during the day to elkins park campus...they are willing to add more if the need occurs..they do the same for archadia students..so if you don't have a car you don't automatically have to rule out trilogy...most of us do have cars so they haven't increased their shuttle schedule, but have made it clear they would if the need arises...so it can be mentioned to the leasing office if this is a concern. they don't have shuttle service to TEI, but none of the apartments do so you just have to get rides with people to clinic if you dont have a car, which is never a problem.

I was told today that the financial aid office will be mailing out our packets soon. Be on the look out :) Also, if you had a temporary address, make sure you notifiy admissions and the registrar of when to use your permanent address to ensure you recieve the information you need. I had a different address while I was in school, and although I graduated and called and changed the address on my matriculation form they still send things to the school address. Which isn't good because it takes sooo long for mail to get forwarded.

Question: on the housing page, I see where I can make a roommate profile, but what if I want to post housing information on the housing page; How do I do that? :confused:

Good Luck to everyone, can't wait to meet ya'll! :love:

Hey guys, has anyone tried to post their profile or find a roommate on the housing website? I posted my profile and I have been checking periodically for new profiles to pop up but it seems like the same 8 people are on there consistently (I would atleast expect one or 2 people to sign up since I first checked). Maybe I just need to be more patient... I was just wondering if anyone else had a problem with it? Thanks :)

I got a financial aid package in the mail today. But I havn't heard whether or not I was accepted or not. Does this mean that I'm accepted?

canshman said:
I got a financial aid package in the mail today. But I havn't heard whether or not I was accepted or not. Does this mean that I'm accepted?
IT DOESNT MEAN YOU ARE ACCEPTED. EVERYONE WHO APPLIES TO PCO WILL RECEIVE THE FINANCIAL AID PACKAGE.

dietcherrycoke said:
Hey guys, has anyone tried to post their profile or find a roommate on the housing website? I posted my profile and I have been checking periodically for new profiles to pop up but it seems like the same 8 people are on there consistently (I would atleast expect one or 2 people to sign up since I first checked). Maybe I just need to be more patient... I was just wondering if anyone else had a problem with it? Thanks :)

Ya, I have the same problem as well, I entered my profile like 4 days ago and it has been pending ever since. I think there might be some problem with their website.

Pco2010 said:
Ya, I have the same problem as well, I entered my profile like 4 days ago and it has been pending ever since. I think there might be some problem with their website.

Oh good, glad its not just me!
Thanks

Pco2010 said:

Call Glenn, his extension is on the letter you received. He's the tech. guy at PCO. He's very helpful.

baf84 said:

i have had verizon forever, and i am very pleased with it. i visited PCO with my parents last week, and i had full service the whole time i was in PA. since most people have verizon, it also makes it cheap to call friends.

in regard to your previous post, i've heard a lot of sweet things about trilogy if you can afford it. i don't know if i'll have that luxury, but if i do, i'm going. make sure you have a car, as the others say.

see you in the fall, baf

Hey guys,
i had a question for those who already attend PCO. Do you guys sign a nine month lease or 12 month lease for housing because i am not sure which is the best. Do, you have to stay in PA in summer too.
Thanks

PCO students:

Does anybody live in Philadelphia and commute to school? Is it possible to do for an entire year?

dbar:
There are only a few students who live downtown. However, those I know who live in the city aren't planning on moving, next year.

sweetzpassion said:
Hey guys,
i had a question for those who already attend PCO. Do you guys sign a nine month lease or 12 month lease for housing because i am not sure which is the best. Do, you have to stay in PA in summer too.
Thanks

I have a twelve month lease.
During the Summer, between your first and second years, you will need to complete a Summer clerkship and take an online Optics course. The clerkship involves working in an Optometry office (with a dispensary) for 160 hrs. However, there is an extensive list of Optometrists from all over the country who participate in the Summer clerkship program. If you want to return home to complete the clerkship, you can choose an Optometrist who is nearby. Also, you are allowed to arrange your own clerkship site (given the office meets the school's requirements). Therefore, it isn't imperative that you stay in the area over the Summer.

I am also attending PCO in the fall and will be looking for a roomate and a place to stay. I am originally from NC and now live in NY. Is everyone excited to start classes in the fall?

ncsu23 said:
I am also attending PCO in the fall and will be looking for a roomate and a place to stay. I am originally from NC and now live in NY. Is everyone excited to start classes in the fall?

I'll be excited after summer break. Right now I'm excited to finish undergrad.

KelliMW said:
I'll be excited after summer break. Right now I'm excited to finish undergrad.

I am excited, I have been out of school since december so I am still on christmas break :laugh:

Hey everyone,
I am also planning on attending PCO in the fall. I am originally from NC but currently work at SUNY in NY. I am a 22 year old female and am also looking for a roomate. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in the fall!

looking forward to meet everyone in the fall. Does anyone need a roomate (female). thanx.

Just got my acceptance email from PCO for class of 2010 today!

luckyfool said:
Just got my acceptance email from PCO for class of 2010 today!

when was your interview, luckyfool?

Has anybody heard anything about our financial aid?

When I visited the school last friday, I was told that award letters will be mailed out either late June or sometime in July.

KelliMW said:
Has anybody heard anything about our financial aid?

Hey guys
Does anyone live at lynwood or bromley apartments? Do, you recommend it? Any information would be helpful because i am going crazy with finding a safe apartment and colonade already has a watining list? :eek: