PCO/NOVA Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ML1983

PCO Class of 2010
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm a little bit curious, does anyone know how many people have been accepted or interviewed so far? I got my interview coming up, and i'm a litle bit curious :) So nerve-wracking..

Same for NOVA if anyone knows.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

When I interviewed at NOVA on the 11th of November, 40 spots had been taken out of 100 seats available.

Hi!
I read your msg. you said they have already accepted 40 students? wow...so now they must have at least half of their class for next year. i have an interview beginning of january...i hope its not too late for me to go then! also, did u get in? if u could tell me what kinds of q's they asked u that would be so helpful!
thanks,
ERum

Hitman99 said:
Hey,

When I interviewed at NOVA on the 11th of November, 40 spots had been taken out of 100 seats available.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rummy said:
Hi!
I read your msg. you said they have already accepted 40 students? wow...so now they must have at least half of their class for next year. i have an interview beginning of january...i hope its not too late for me to go then! also, did u get in? if u could tell me what kinds of q's they asked u that would be so helpful!
thanks,
ERum

Keep in mind also that the schools will accept more students than they actually enroll.

Hey Rummy,

You should be fine going in January for the interview. That's actually when the majority of my friends are going to their optometry interviews as well. Talking to students at my various interviews, that isn't considered late at all. Late would be around March.

At the NOVA interview, they seriously asked me 2 questions. One was why optometry, and the other was they asked me to tell them about my backgroud. As well, the second interviewer asked me what position I played in flag football. There were two interviewers, but I think the second person was there primarily to listen and make a few comments. As well, they made a few comments about some of my volunteer activities so I discussed that with them. Afterwards, they asked if I had any questions, so I asked them about thier research programs. Overall, the interview was extremely relaxed. There's nothing really to worry about :)

I got accepted two days later at NOVA, but I decided to go to PCO. Nothing's wrong with NOVA, but I just personally thought that PCO was a better school.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Rummy said:
Hi!
thanks,
ERum

i had an interview with nova on nov 30th. they already accepted 50 ppl, but then again that doesn't mean all 50 are going to attend.

ML1983 said:
Hi guys,

I'm a little bit curious, does anyone know how many people have been accepted or interviewed so far? I got my interview coming up, and i'm a litle bit curious :) So nerve-wracking..

Same for NOVA if anyone knows.

eye_candie said:
i had an interview with nova on nov 30th. they already accepted 50 ppl, but then again that doesn't mean all 50 are going to attend.

I got accepted and I'm not going. So...you can count me out.

mpeyes said:

Do you mind sharing your stats. I will be applying to Nova for 2007 entrance and I'm just wondering what they have accepted. Thanks! Also, why are you not going?

mthomas2 said:
Do you mind sharing your stats. I will be applying to Nova for 2007 entrance and I'm just wondering what they have accepted. Thanks! Also, why are you not going?
hey i just got accepted to nova, but i'm going to sco!

gpa 3.26
OAT AA 340
OAT TS 330
above avg optometry experience

hope this helps

mpeyes said:
me neither, not that i have anything against them. but other schools are better. so where r u going?

eye_candie said:
hey i just got accepted to nova, but i'm going to sco!

gpa 3.26
OAT AA 340
OAT TS 330
above avg optometry experience

hope this helps

What would you consider as above avg opt experience? Thanks :)

eye_candie said:
me neither, not that i have anything against them. but other schools are better. so where r u going?

SUNY:)

mthomas2 said:

I sent you the stats..

I didn't like Ft. Lauderdale or the fact that they didn't have any financial aid other than loans.

so did you all find out you were in at nova by a phone call? I just called up to try and see if I've been accepted (interviewed last week), and was told that they couldn't tell me over the phone. Did you guys get a call from fran?
I'm kinda stressed now. The commitee met today, mail will go out tomorrow, so I may not find out till I get back from Christmas break. :(

Hey ya'll! Hope everyone is having a great holiday season so far. Just wanted to pitch in my own opinion about NOVA after successfully completing my first semester. I really think there are a lot of misconceptions about the various optometry schools out there...and really everyone has to decide for themselves which school fits best. I love NOVA depite the hurricanes...honestly being from Austin, TX I thought Houston would be my first pick---but after talking to my brother who is also a 1st yr at Houston...I really know now for a fact that I love NOVA. There are countless reasons why...but here's my take in a nutshell---they treat you like a family member there...even from the very first opportunity to meet you (interview). We have less stress at the end of the semester compared to lots of other schools since they try to avoid mid-term and finals weeks..and rather spread exams out as time permits. It keeps you on top of things and also keeps things from getting too crazy at the end of the semester. We are taught how to refract and have clinic observations from the start as well. Nova has a lot of pride in their top notch clinics and their emphasis on patient care. I'm not trying to "sell" the school really, but if you are a people-person and love to be treated as a person rather than a number...consider NOVA. I heard my share of rumors about the schools when I applied last year, and I hope you choose a school based on what you gather from people who actually attend the schools and not hear-say. Best of luck to you all..and if you are interested in NOVA...contact Fran a lot--she's the best! She'll gladly answer all your questions and my class loved her so much...we got her a gift at the beginning of our semester-she's like our second MOM. All the best-

eyedoc22012 said:
Hey ya'll! Hope everyone is having a great holiday season so far. Just wanted to pitch in my own opinion about NOVA after successfully completing my first semester. I really think there are a lot of misconceptions about the various optometry schools out there...and really everyone has to decide for themselves which school fits best. I love NOVA depite the hurricanes...honestly being from Austin, TX I thought Houston would be my first pick---but after talking to my brother who is also a 1st yr at Houston...I really know now for a fact that I love NOVA. There are countless reasons why...but here's my take in a nutshell---they treat you like a family member there...even from the very first opportunity to meet you (interview). We have less stress at the end of the semester compared to lots of other schools since they try to avoid mid-term and finals weeks..and rather spread exams out as time permits. It keeps you on top of things and also keeps things from getting too crazy at the end of the semester. We are taught how to refract and have clinic observations from the start as well. Nova has a lot of pride in their top notch clinics and their emphasis on patient care. I'm not trying to "sell" the school really, but if you are a people-person and love to be treated as a person rather than a number...consider NOVA. I heard my share of rumors about the schools when I applied last year, and I hope you choose a school based on what you gather from people who actually attend the schools and not hear-say. Best of luck to you all..and if you are interested in NOVA...contact Fran a lot--she's the best! She'll gladly answer all your questions and my class loved her so much...we got her a gift at the beginning of our semester-she's like our second MOM. All the best-
Does Nova have any scholarships available? There tuition is lower than PCO's but I know PCO has a lot of scholarships available; as does SCO. Can you become a FL resident after your first year at Nova to save on tuition? What doesn't your brother like about UHCO; people seem to rave about the OD education there and also the fact that he has in-state tuition-that seems that it'd be quite beneficial for him.

I'll be attending the med school at nova..and the residency status is based upon initial matriculation..meaning you are not counted in-state after the first year...yea i know it sux..tuition for the med school for out-of-staters is 30+ :(

eyedoc22012 - any thoughts??

gsinccom said:
eyedoc22012 - any thoughts??
Sorry about the late reply... just got back on this site. :) So Nova does have a lot of scholarships and if you are interested-the NOVA website lists them all, but to be competitive for most you should have a good GPA..or there are a few for disadvantaged students as well. About Houston, my bro said he loves the in-state tuition of course-but dislikes include the location of the school (area is not the best to say it lightly), grades are based on a couple exams towards the end of the year mostly so there's a lot of pressure before the breaks, they don't really offer much diversity in their classes-majority are from Texas as you would expect (which differs from NOVA since we have 50% of the class out of state and 50% in). But if I hadn't gone to NOVA, I would definitely pick Houston second.