PCO Students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csandova

SCO c/o 2017
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! My questions are for any students who are currently attending or have attended PCO. I'm doing some research and was just wondering:

what do you like about PCO?
What don't you like?
How are the professors?
Do you enjoy what you do?
When you selected where you would apply and attend school, what made you pick PCO over the rest?

Thank you for your time :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! My questions are for any students who are currently attending or have attended PCO. I'm doing some research and was just wondering:

What don't you like?
How are the professors?
Do you enjoy what you do?
When you selected where you would apply and attend school, what made you pick PCO over the rest?

Hey, I can help you out here.

What I like:

The location is very nice (well...the clinic where we work is in a bit of a shady area). The school is close enough to the city to enjoy the bars, restaurants, museums, culture, etc., but the actual campus is in a pretty nice area--it's more calm and quiet than the city and fairly well-to-do. There are plenty of grocery stores, restaurants, and stores nearby.

My fellow students are mostly very helpful and pleasant. We work together well. There isn't a "sabotage" culture. It's very team-oriented.

I'm mostly pleased with professors. They are approachable, and for the most part not arrogant, like I sometimes experienced in undergrad. They aren't here to feed their egos. They want you to pass.

It's a good program here, and the clinical experience is amongst the best in the country.

What I don't like:

High tuition price.

No on campus housing. Rent can be pretty high if you want to live in one of the nice places close to campus. Though my complex is nice, I thought I would get much more space than I do.

Only one building where classes are held. Sometimes we spend all day in one room. Of course, we have little breaks and a lunch break, but there is something a little prison-esque about it too. (I'm speaking more philosophically...the room isn't unclean or anything like that.) I miss switching into different classrooms as I did throughout every other part of my education.

Overall:
If you love optometry and have a true passion for it, then I would definitely recommend this school. The program is very good, and you will be prepared better than in most schools from what I hear. But if you're on the fence or just looking for a job to pay the bills, then I would look elsewhere. The program here is very rigorous. You have to be prepared to give up many aspects of your life for a few years. Sometimes I really wonder if it will be worth it in the end. I think there are subjects for which I am more passionate, and I often daydream about what it would have been like to have gone into another field. That's not to say that I don't care about the patients. I care very much, but like I said, I daydream sometimes...
I fantasize about driving straight to the airport after class and never looking back. You will get worn out.

Also, my family is helping me out quite a bit on the financial front for which I am extremely thankful. If you're planning on doing all of this in loans, then I would definitely make sure that this is your life's passion because it is very, very expensive--especially this school. I personally don't think that it would be worth the loan debt. You would be looking at upwards of a quarter million. Recent grads are not starting in the six figures.

Whoops: I forgot to add that I chose this school because the program is highly regarded, the staff members were always very friendly and helpful when I was in the application process, and because it is close to my family.

Thank you for your response! I am interviewing at PCO in a few weeks and wanted to hear some of this from a student's point of view. You have been very helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
I decided PCO over the rest due to it being the closest to home. But the tuition and cost of living in Philly were expensive. I advise you to pick a school where the tuition is the cheapest and the cost of living is low. That way you'll keep your student loan debt as low as possible. That is the only thing you should consider when choosing a school and disregard everything else. It does not matter where you receive your education, you will get the OD degree and when you get out, you won't be using most of what you learn in school anyways. But the most important thing that will dictate the level of satisfaction/happiness in your career/life is the impact of your student loan debt on you and your family.

But if you're on the fence or just looking for a job to pay the bills, then I would look elsewhere. The program here is very rigorous. You have to be prepared to give up many aspects of your life for a few years. Sometimes I really wonder if it will be worth it in the end. I think there are subjects for which I am more passionate, and I often daydream about what it would have been like to have gone into another field. That's not to say that I don't care about the patients. I care very much, but like I said, I daydream sometimes...
I fantasize about driving straight to the airport after class and never looking back. You will get worn out.

Stop reading my mind :laugh:

BeesKnees22,

What year are you in at PCO? I think we all have those thoughts at some point in the program.

extensive externship sites; excellent clinical training;

What don't you like? philly. wet snow, cold, rude people in the city

How are the professors? mostly helpful. alot of them are top of them game, world reknowned. but alot of them are snobby and puts students down.

Do you enjoy what you do? Yes, after all that training I have to say I feel super happy and confident at my workplace. Most patient have been very impressed on the things i've been able to do for them whether it be refraction or treatment of eye diseases. But that all came from the years of hard work at PCO. I have to say they planned a very good curriculum.

When you selected where you would apply and attend school, what made you pick PCO over the rest? clinical strengh, wide selection of externship sites (which is vital to your future success btw)

Good luck! In short, I'm very glad I went to PCO, it did open alot of opportunities for me and I feel confident working with all kinds of cases. so yeah, go there!

Good luck! In short, I'm very glad I went to PCO, it did open alot of opportunities for me and I feel confident working with all kinds of cases. so yeah, go there!

Thank you! And thank you for your response, it is very much appreciated!