PCO vs. NECO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crooklyn83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I was accepted to PCO and NECO, and I was really impressed with both programs. I know I have to make a decision soon, but this is a really difficult choice. Can anyone offer me any advice? I'd really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

i didnt end up applying to neco...but im from boston and know some people in the program...

honestly neco doesnt have a good board pass rate. but my friends love it there and one could argue that regardless of the program you can be a great doctor because it's all up to how much you study on your own...and neco's strength is that you start in clinic from your first year. boston is also a beautiful city to live in. but let me warn you...all the bars/clubs here close down at 2. EVERYTHING closes down even earlier...including the subway...

i applied to pco...and was accepted...(not going because suny was my 1st choice and so much cheaper :oops: ) but pco is a forerunner in ocular disease which is fun stuff to learn! my O.D. mentor is a SUNY graduate and he was totally pushing me to go to pco. and the externship program there is 1.5 years instead of the usual 1 so that's exciting. and the demographic of patients you are exposed to in philly is way more varied than in boston which = more disease.

tuition wise they are similar...but boston is very expensive to live in. philly is dirt cheap in comparison.

well that's just my take on the schools and how i would break it down for myself if i had the same choices. hope this helps and good luck!

kylee0127: Why's SUNY your first choice btw? I applied there too and am "on hold" right now :( It seems like its pretty expensive to live in NYC too.

I got accepted into NECO and ICO, and I like Boston better than Chicago (as a city). The programs are very different but its still a really hard decision. Any advice?

I don't know much about PCO, sorry ! :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
have you decided where to go?

I have friends in both schools and from my impressions of their first year, it seems like PCO is more rigourous. Ive decided to go to PCO, just cause I knoe alot more ppl there. NECO from what I hear is more relaxed (although Im not really sure what that means), and less intense. However, PCO did have the highest board exam marks, as well as I think the top two scores where both from PCO. So i gues it depends on what your looking for, both schools are good IMO. Just by word of mouth and talking to ppl thats the general impression I god.