PCO vs. NECO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

crooklyn83

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,
I was accepted to PCO and NECO, and I was really impressed with both programs. I know I have to make a decision soon, but this is a really difficult choice. Can anyone offer me any advice? I'd really appreciate it!
 
i didnt end up applying to neco...but im from boston and know some people in the program...

honestly neco doesnt have a good board pass rate. but my friends love it there and one could argue that regardless of the program you can be a great doctor because it's all up to how much you study on your own...and neco's strength is that you start in clinic from your first year. boston is also a beautiful city to live in. but let me warn you...all the bars/clubs here close down at 2. EVERYTHING closes down even earlier...including the subway...

i applied to pco...and was accepted...(not going because suny was my 1st choice and so much cheaper 😳 ) but pco is a forerunner in ocular disease which is fun stuff to learn! my O.D. mentor is a SUNY graduate and he was totally pushing me to go to pco. and the externship program there is 1.5 years instead of the usual 1 so that's exciting. and the demographic of patients you are exposed to in philly is way more varied than in boston which = more disease.

tuition wise they are similar...but boston is very expensive to live in. philly is dirt cheap in comparison.

well that's just my take on the schools and how i would break it down for myself if i had the same choices. hope this helps and good luck!
 
kylee0127: Why's SUNY your first choice btw? I applied there too and am "on hold" right now 🙁 It seems like its pretty expensive to live in NYC too.

I got accepted into NECO and ICO, and I like Boston better than Chicago (as a city). The programs are very different but its still a really hard decision. Any advice?

I don't know much about PCO, sorry ! 😕
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have friends in both schools and from my impressions of their first year, it seems like PCO is more rigourous. Ive decided to go to PCO, just cause I knoe alot more ppl there. NECO from what I hear is more relaxed (although Im not really sure what that means), and less intense. However, PCO did have the highest board exam marks, as well as I think the top two scores where both from PCO. So i gues it depends on what your looking for, both schools are good IMO. Just by word of mouth and talking to ppl thats the general impression I god.