PCO vs NECO

Started by asm
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

asm

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hello guys!

I just wanted some advice on which school to choose, PCO vs. NECO? any input would be great! thanksss. 🙂 pleaseeeeeeeeeee

mary
 
Both are great schools but from my experiences I found that:

NECO:
- education: good research school, but considerably lower board rates
- housing: expensive, one of the most expensive cities in the states
- convenience: you can take the train anywhere
- location: safe, residential

PCO:
- education: one of the top clinic schools b/c of 1 1/2 year in clinics, but that makes the first 2 1/2 years very course intensive compared to NECO and other schools, good board pass rates
- housing: somewhat cheaper, but places are much more shabby and run down
- convenience: you will need a car to get to-and-from the clinic
- location: somewhat in the middle of nowhere
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Both are great schools but from my experiences I found that:

NECO:
- education: good research school, but considerably lower board rates
- housing: expensive, one of the most expensive cities in the states
- convenience: you can take the train anywhere
- location: safe, residential

PCO:
- education: one of the top clinic schools b/c of 1 1/2 year in clinics, but that makes the first 2 1/2 years very course intensive compared to NECO and other schools, good board pass rates
- housing: somewhat cheaper, but places are much more shabby and run down
- convenience: you will need a car to get to-and-from the clinic
- location: somewhat in the middle of nowhere

For more detail regarding NECO http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=391032
 
PCO had an open house yesterday (not for optometry but I went anyway) and it was REALLY nice. I really enjoyed being there, everyone was really nice and helpful and the facilities are amazing. So now it's definitely up there with my first choice - but I think the price is really what's going to hold me back if I end up having to choose between 2 schools. Anyways, we'll see... I don't have any info on NECO since I'm not interested, but PCO is a great place! If you haven't looked at it already, go check it out!