PCO vs SCO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdom29

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
pros and cons of both PCO and SCO?

please tell me your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

I ended up choosing PCO instead of SUNY and ICO. While I cannot compare it to SCO, I've heard SCO facilities are top notch too. I plan to practice in the northeastern parts of U.S. so PCO made more sense for my networks and for their more extensive clinical externships (I would argue they are even more well connected than SUNY since it's an older school). If you want to practice around the Memphis area though, I would say go to SCO.

PCO has a better rep and you're not as likely to be murdered (high crime rate in SCO).

Members don't see this ad :)
PCO has a better rep and you're not as likely to be murdered (high crime rate in SCO).

I don't know if I agree with the former, and I disagree with the latter. "SCO" in and of itself has no crime rate. It is safe and feels safe all the time. Memphis has crime, just as does any other large city. Don't walk around alone at night in shady areas and you'll be fine.

I chose SCO over PCO and a few other schools for a few reasons, mainly the tuition + cost of living, climate, how nice everyone at the school was, reputation/entrance scores, and that I could afford to live in a nice apartment in a nice area here.

Pretty much yeah - I wasn't a huge fan of NYC in general. It's too much of a city life and PCO is still a bit more of suburbs for me. I also heard on good authority PCO offers more externship locations than SUNY. Still slightly wavering since the tuition difference is quite a huge contrast between SUNY and PCO.

If you have any doubts, don't do SUNY. Basically you are stuck taking the crowded subway for 3.5 years and we have really hard professors.

Thanks for the advice - I've actually heard what you've said before through accounts of other students - both the commute + hard professors. But regardless of where I go, I expect that the course load will be intense and there will always be difficult professors in some form.

If you have any doubts, don't do SUNY. Basically you are stuck taking the crowded subway for 3.5 years and we have really hard professors.

My friend at SUNY loves it-all professors are hard regardless. I think she found an apartment close-by so she doesn't have to take the subway. I agree that choosing PCO over Suny is not very common...

My friend at SUNY loves it-all professors are hard regardless. I think she found an apartment close-by so she doesn't have to take the subway..

Ya if you are rich it helps :) I can't really afford $2000 a month rent or maybe $1500 each if you share a two bedroom. I'm thinking of moving further away actually and just taking the train in (not the subway). Its the same amount of time but much cleaner :) Cost wise makes no difference, further you get from Manhattan the cheaper the rents but you end up paying more for transportation. Almost always rent prices going down outpaces transportation prices going up though.