PCO work study hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luvely

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to ask current PCO students about their experience with work study, and about how many hours you deemed reasonable with their 1st year work load?

I think i checked off 5-10 hours, but there are also 10-15 and 15-20 hour options.

I understand that you won't necessarily get all the hours you request for, but in the chance you were able to get say 15-20, do you think it's doable if it's a library job where one could study? Work study is where i would get a lot of my spending money since i have no savings to speak of =/

also in terms of being realistic, since I suppose the more work study money they grant, the less you receive in loans/grains.

and last question, sorry it's so many, around when did do you find out how much financial aid you are rewarded? I'm assuming not too long after April 30 (when you can fill out Graduate PLUS loan apps)

thanks a bunch! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

just wanted to bump this thread and be more concise!

10-15 hrs
15-20 hrs

most likely getting a library job where i can study, which do you think is reasonable with the 1st year schedule?

and how likely is it one can get 20 hours a week?

thank you :)

I don't go to PCO, but I would assume the stress level would be similar across many OD schools. I would say 5-10 hrs initially, and once you get acclimated maybe you could do 10-15 ONLY because you would be working in the library (and we all know all you would do there is study).

Other work study jobs would probably be limited at 10 hours since we need to rush to go study. First year I worked an average of maybe 5 hrs a week and that was already pushing it for me. Couldn't study on the job though!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you get a library, computer lab, or gym front desk job, your work time is pretty much your study time, since you do very little actual work. But if your job is a tour guide, then you will have to work for the entire shift. So I would recommend max your hours, and try to get those "study jobs". You can always work less than the total hours they awarded you, so it wouldn't hurt to request more work hours than you can actually work for.

thank you both for your input! i asked them to change it to 10-15! will definitely make sure i get a desk job of some sort. i know the drill since i got work study in college, pretty much getting paid to do my homework, not really conducive to studying i must say though