PCOM and UNECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Emily

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted at PCOM and at UNECOM for the class of 2004. I was wondering if there are any med. students from either of these schools who can give me their opinions about their programs (both positives and negatives). Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

PCOM is a terrific school with many affiliated hospitals and about $40 million dollars to burn. They recently modernized the campus as well as the anatomy labs, OPP labs and classrooms. I did a military internship in San Diego and was VERY well prepared for it by PCOM. PCOM has the most faithful alumni--bar none. Ask anyone who has ever been to a convention about which school has the most participation and the classiest gatherings. This is a direct result of the alumni's extreme satisfaction with PCOM. The only drawback is that within the osteopathic community some view PCOM graduates as elitists--so shoot us for having an excellent program that consistently churns out excellent doctors! The other school in this category is the Chicago school. Philadelphia is a great city to go to med school as it has 5 schools total and tons of hospitals where you can do rotations. Even the "biggies" like Penn and Jefferson accept DO students with open arms, and allow us to treat patients in their hospitals from the osteopathic viewpoint.

------------------
DocHaas PCOM '97

I have also been accepted to PCOM. The thing that I am most curious about right now is housing. If anyone knows of some places to stay near the school, please let me know. I am located all the way down in New Orleans, so it is quite difficult for me to find out information. Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are two complexes within walking distance to the school--The Presidential and Lincoln Green. I lived at the latter for four years and liked it. It's pretty quiet and has a gym and 2 pools. The apartments are smallish but up to par for Philly. It's on the expensive side to say the least (900 bucks for a 1 bedroom in '97) and I'm sure it's only gotten higher. The Presidential is a high rise and some of the apartments aren't bad--wood floors and such. A lot of Freshmen live there and most of my friends stayed there all 4 years. It is cheaper--about $700 in '97. It has a nice gym and a pool that you have to pay a fee to get into. It has lots of parking. There is a Friday's in front of both complexes and a nice bar/restaraunt across the street. The school is a 3-4 minute walk from each. There is also a nice neighborhood within a 3 minute drive from the school where a lot of students rented houses. Contact student affairs and they can hook you up with some roomies if you like.

I am a first year at PCOM. I am from Las Vegas and had an awful time getting hooked up with a roommate from the student affairs at PCOM (the one downfall of the school!). Those complexes are both walking distance and nice. I live at the Presidential City Complex -- it is older than Lincoln Green but also nice and a lot less expensive. I am very happy at PCOM and love everything so far; I wouldn't choose a different school if I were to do it over again. Best luck in deciding!

------------------
=Michelle

I'm a first year at UNECOM just about to finish my first semester. I love it here! The faculty, students, facilities, everything is great. One of the things that impressed me the most when I interviewed was the comraderie that seemed to be there between classmates. My class has proven this to be the case as well. Everyone always wants to know about the brutally cold Maine winters. Well, so far it has been beautiful. Actually I am looking forward to the first snow. We have had remarkably mild temperatures with plenty of sunshine still. The weather can change quickly here, though. But I love cold weather.

The school really works hard to make sure the students succeed. Pretty much no one fails unless they choose to. The remediation policy is very fair, and the student body really pitches in to help people who are retesting.

I don't know the kind of lifestyle you are used to, but Biddeford is pretty small town. People do things a lot slower here than in the big city.
smile.gif
So, if you are averse to that, you might want to think more about PCOM.

Hope this helps.
Renee

Renee

Emily,

I'm not a student at UNE yet, but I can tell you that it is a top rated school. This comes even from some of the MDs in NC. I also hear that PCOM is a great school.

I'm not trying to start a shoving match, but will mention some things that appeal to me personally:

the class size - 115 vs ~250 at PCOM
the environment - colder, but safer and much more scenic
cost of living - cheaper than Philly

They both are great schools and have some good competition in their back yards (although UNE's back yard is more more expansive). Anytime you have a program that has big-name schools close by, it raises the bar.

Bottom line: you can't wrong with either place. If you can afford it, go back to each place and shadow a student for the day.

------------------
Phillip Snider, MS, RD
UNECOM '04
Happiness isn't having what you want, it is wanting what you have.