PCOM Biomedical Sciences 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
this is all for GA btw

orientation was the first week. DO's and Pharms do some training stuff so they're all week.

we did like 2 or 3 days? i think. one day is technical stuff, paperwork, and ID badge. another day is kind of expectations and seminars and Welcome to the school kind of thing. that day is also an all day thing and you get to meet and mingle with everyone from other programs as well which was fun. i think there was one more day that was basically classes/syllabus stuff

Thanks for the response! Very kind of you.

So if you don't mind elaborating, what is your take on the difficulty level of the Biomed Program at GA-PCOM? Are the exams just really difficult, or is it just the shear volume of information that you are responsible for studying? Is studying every day something that would leave you in a strong enough position to at least consolidate a 3.5 GPA, or is that not even enough?

Also, what are the hours like for the Biomed program?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the response! Very kind of you.

So if you don't mind elaborating, what is your take on the difficulty level of the Biomed Program at GA-PCOM? Are the exams just really difficult, or is it just the shear volume of information that you are responsible for studying? Is studying every day something that would leave you in a strong enough position to at least consolidate a 3.5 GPA, or is that not even enough?

Also, what are the hours like for the Biomed program?

i would go back to page 1 and read through everything. i think people covered all of this

and COA for GA and PA should be on our website if you go to pcom.edu and navigate around. it's the Biomedical Sciences MS

Members don't see this ad :)
Any current Philly students can provide an update to their experiences in the Biomedical Sciences program....

I am a pre-dental student.

But still would like to know .. . Any body know how it compares to other Biomedical Sciences programs? Rutgers, Barry, TUFTS, Mississippi College ???

I've already been accepted and I am really interested in doing research my first year in the program. I'm sure this question has been asked before but I am hoping for a fresh perspective; when should I start reaching out to potential research advisors and how involved can one be within the first year of the program?

I've already been accepted and I am really interested in doing research my first year in the program. I'm sure this question has been asked before but I am hoping for a fresh perspective; when should I start reaching out to potential research advisors and how involved can one be within the first year of the program?

i think for both Philly and GA campuses, you can read what the faculty are up to in the lab. Pharmacy faculty (GA) also open to Biomeds for doing collaborative research. You could start reading up on what they're doing now and then approach them in person maybe that first month of school. Your involvement could be anywhere from washing out glassware to publicaions, it all depends on how much you want to do.

Not many people do research their first year but a few students do. You're not expected to. I would however also ask Student Affairs if that first year research could also be used as a Federal Work Study position

I know someone who got in with similar stats. 16 mcat
I'm gonna be brutally honest. You probably don't want to hear this but unless a miracle happens med school just isn't for you. Not with a 16. I'm not the sharpest student academically but even with zero effort whatsoever I got a 22.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm gonna be brutally honest. You probably don't want to hear this but unless a miracle happens med school just isn't for you. Not with a 16. I'm not the sharpest student academically but even with zero effort whatsoever I got a 22.
Don't put others down. I know people who got 16's re-took and got 24 or higher and now are getting ready to enter into the match. You never know what someone's prior circumstances were. They just need to grind and do better. And you gotta ask yourself. Why did you not put in effort. Even if you got a 22, are you really taking being a physician seriously? You are going to be responsible for people with ailments. You may want to do a heart check instead of criticising others.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Don't put others down. I know people who got 16's re-took and got 24 or higher and now are getting ready to enter into the match. You never know what someone's prior circumstances were. They just need to grind and do better. And you gotta ask yourself. Why did you not put in effort. Even if you got a 22, are you really taking being a physician seriously? You are going to be responsible for people with ailments. You may want to do a heart check instead of criticising others.

With actual effort I got a 510. Piss off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Judging his/her character based on his/her post doesn't make you any better, in fact, it's the opposite.

Let's focus on the primary purpose of this thread, not meaningless jabs.
Not judging the person, but based off of the response to being called out shows their character. That's called holding people accountable. But you are right the thread is meant to network.

All of my materials were in by March 15th. I emailed GA-PCOM admissions on Wednesday to ask about the timeline for hearing back, and they said my application has been reviewed and I should be receiving a letter in the mail soon. I've been watching the mail like a hawk lately. I did want to ask, for those of you who were accepted, did you apply to both campuses? Or just GA? I'm considering applying to Philadelphia as well.

All of my materials were in by March 15th. I emailed GA-PCOM admissions on Wednesday to ask about the timeline for hearing back, and they said my application has been reviewed and I should be receiving a letter in the mail soon. I've been watching the mail like a hawk lately. I did want to ask, for those of you who were accepted, did you apply to both campuses? Or just GA? I'm considering applying to Philadelphia as well.

Yah, I just applied to GA. I live across town. I remember I was checking the mail everyday compulsively as well. It was quite a wait but I felt relieved when I finally received the letter.

Yah, I just applied to GA. I live across town. I remember I was checking the mail everyday compulsively as well. It was quite a wait but I felt relieved when I finally received the letter.

I really hope it works out. I'm definitely going to be anxious waiting for the mail lol. This is currently my top choice since my sister is down in GA for chiropractic school, and it'd be nice to move in with her.

Accepted 4/7!! Anyone else going to Philly campus??

Yes. 3 people made As in our class.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Was that including people with the A-'s, or just people that earned an A? When I visited the campus I was told that the Biomed program runs on an +/- system.
Thanks in advance.

I really hope it works out. I'm definitely going to be anxious waiting for the mail lol. This is currently my top choice since my sister is down in GA for chiropractic school, and it'd be nice to move in with her.

Congrats! See you in August.

I imagine your sister goes to Life? Its a pretty well known University down here.

Congrats! See you in August.

I imagine your sister goes to Life? Its a pretty well known University down here.

Cannot wait! I wish they had set up a social media page for the Class of 2019 so we could get to know each other ahead of time. Yes, she does! She loves it there.

Hey guys,

I am writing this note to encourage people to reconsider attending this program. I am currently a student there getting set to graduate soon. This program is simply a money maker for this school. In this entire program, I can honestly say that only about 20 of the total credits, which I believe is around 52, could even really be considered real courses. You will also in your second year be paying around $6000 to do your own online research. Yes, your own research. You will have no solid knowledge of anatomy coming out of this program. You will learn a lot in this program, but that is simply due to your own research and work. I have plenty more to say if you would like to message me individually. I don't ever come on here, but I believe it is important to critique the education that I am paying over $20,000 a year for. I'm here to offer advice to anyone if you would like it. But my overall recommendation is to avoid this program, and seek out a cheaper alternative or a higher quality alternative. Thank you.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys,

I am writing this note to encourage people to reconsider attending this program. I am currently a student there getting set to graduate soon. This program is simply a money maker for this school. In this entire program, I can honestly say that only about 20 of the total credits, which I believe is around 52, could even really be considered real courses. You will also in your second year be paying around $6000 to do your own online research. Yes, your own research. You will have no solid knowledge of anatomy coming out of this program. You will learn a lot in this program, but that is simply due to your own research and work. I have plenty more to say if you would like to message me individually. I don't ever come on here, but I believe it is important to critique the education that I am paying over $20,000 a year for. I'm here to offer advice to anyone if you would like it. But my overall recommendation is to avoid this program, and seek out a cheaper alternative or a higher quality alternative. Thank you.
Hey guys, I unfortunately am going to have to co-sign this. My reasoning is not as directly related as theirs but I was accepted to the program for this incoming class and I had 3 friends who finished the program previously and one who was currently in the program now. For the two of the three that finished (one got into PCOM-GEORGIA DO program and one LSU Dental School) I was advised not do the program. One of them had a position in their class where they sat in on budget hearings for the Masters program and found out that in fact their goal is to get as many ppl accepted as possible to generate money and it is not their goal to get people in professional school. And the set up of the program makes you feel it. Among other things I've heard the grading styles are subjective and to get 4.0 you have to use politics and kiss up to professors. Which I personally felt like I need to go to a program where I can earn a 4.0 based off of merit. Not politics. The third of the three that finished said the same, there is kind of alot of bull you have to push pass to make it out.

The one in the program now has struggled and dropped classes, which is NOT what you want to happen. I hear there are alot of people who struggle to get 3.0 mark. And many drop out.

Now I will say this, I realize for some this may be your only chance at improvement to get into a medical/professional school. If this is the case, by all means do it and rock it! But if you have other options I would vote against this program beacuse the professors, except a select few don't really give a hoot about the program. But I will say for those doing it best of luck but try something better if you can. But if you make it out with decent grades you will be in good shape.

I say this with as much love as I can for my future colleagues in medicine/health professions. Set yourself up to succeed! We need more good people to become health professionals.

Lastly, I felt like if someone who made it through and got into the DO program was telling me don't do it, it would not be wise to not heed the advice.

(Side note, I declined my acceptance to the program , had a prior acceptance and will be looking for other programs as well)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys,

is this in regards to the program in philly or georgia?

Hey guys, I unfortunately am going to have to co-sign this. My reasoning is not as directly related as theirs but I was accepted to the program for this incoming class and I had 3 friends who finished the program previously and one who was currently in the program now. For the two of the three that finished (one got into PCOM-GEORGIA DO program and one LSU Dental School) I was advised not do the program. One of them had a position in their class where they sat in on budget hearings for the Masters program and found out that in fact their goal is to get as many ppl accepted as possible to generate money and it is not their goal to get people in professional school. And the set up of the program makes you feel it. Among other things I've heard the grading styles are subjective and to get 4.0 you have to use politics and kiss up to professors. Which I personally felt like I need to go to a program where I can earn a 4.0 based off of merit. Not politics. The third of the three that finished said the same, there is kind of alot of bull you have to push pass to make it out.

The one in the program now has struggled and dropped classes, which is NOT what you want to happen. I hear there are alot of people who struggle to get 3.0 mark. And many drop out.

Now I will say this, I realize for some this may be your only chance at improvement to get into a medical/professional school. If this is the case, by all means do it and rock it! But if you have other options I would vote against this program beacuse the professors, except a select few don't really give a hoot about the program. But I will say for those doing it best of luck but try something better if you can. But if you make it out with decent grades you will be in good shape.

I say this with as much love as I can for my future colleagues in medicine/health professions. Set yourself up to succeed! We need more good people to become health professionals.

Lastly, I felt like if someone who made it through and got into the DO program was telling me don't do it, it would not be wise to not heed the advice.

(Side note, I declined my acceptance to the program , had a prior acceptance and will be looking for other programs as well)

Couldn't agreee more my friend! I don't think you HAVE to suck up to get a 4.0, but I don't think it would hurt you either haha. I'm with you, if you guys can go to another program please do. Or otherwise you will spend your entire second year with a grudge against this school. You will feel like a guinea pig.

is this in regards to the program in philly or georgia?
If you look at the Philly and GA curriculums they are completely different for some reason. My friend advised me to try and get into the Philly location. But because they are not testing new courses out on students there it is alot more competitive to get into.

If you look at the Philly and GA curriculums they are completely different for some reason. My friend advised me to try and get into the Philly location. But because they are not testing new courses out on students there it is alot more competitive to get into.

The Philly campus is much more established. I don't know really know much about what sort of classes they take, but you're right, I would recommend you going there if you can. I've learned one major thing in this program, and it's not to settle for just any school. You are investing hundreds of thousands of dollars into a medical school - pick one that you would honestly feel proud to graduate from, and one that fits you.

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to extend my gratitude to everyone who's posted in this thread! You have all been incredibly helpful! I've been quietly reading through this thread to figure out if I should apply, which I did this Monday. However I did have a question about the application process. I wanted to send in all of my supplemental materials ASAP. However after the submission of the online application, I was told to await an email that will confirm the receipt of the online application and have instructions on how to submit the remaining materials. They did provide an address and email address to send the materials already. How long does it take to receive the confirmation email? And can I submit my other application materials (i.e. transcripts, LORs, resume, etc.) as I wait for the confirmation email? Or should I wait until I receive the confirmation email before proceeding? Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to extend my gratitude to everyone who's posted in this thread! You have all been incredibly helpful! I've been quietly reading through this thread to figure out if I should apply, which I did this Monday. However I did have a question about the application process. I wanted to send in all of my supplemental materials ASAP. However after the submission of the online application, I was told to await an email that will confirm the receipt of the online application and have instructions on how to submit the remaining materials. They did provide an address and email address to send the materials already. How long does it take to receive the confirmation email? And can I submit my other application materials (i.e. transcripts, LORs, resume, etc.) as I wait for the confirmation email? Or should I wait until I receive the confirmation email before proceeding? Thanks in advance!

Your applying to the GA campus correct?

I received my receipt right after I submitted my application. The following day I dropped off half of my application material upfront to the campus (because I live 45 minutes away) then ordered/requested the remaining documents the same week which took several weeks in total to slowly trickle in.

Here's an approximate time frame I posted in this thread:

Applied- Jan 3, 2017
Receipt Received- Jan 3, 2017
Last Doc Submitted-Feb 14th
Acceptance letter in- April 6th

Hope that helps? Have you been to the campus? It's in a pretty nice area. The only downside is that there is worlds of distractions one exit north of the campus and one exit south of the campus. lol

Hey all,
My application to the Philly campus program was complete end of jan, but I'm still waiting on a decision. Getting nervous and anxious here. Anyone else on a similar boat as me? I noticed that there's been more GA campus acceptances on here. Anyone have any info on if the decisions this year are going out slower?
Reading through past years threads had more acceptances by this time around. I'm really hoping thats the case.
But good luck to all!

Applied to both PA and GA. Only heard back from PA so far

Applied: Feb 27th
All materails in: March 8th
Accepted: March 16th

Hey all,
My application to the Philly campus program was complete end of jan, but I'm still waiting on a decision. Getting nervous and anxious here. Anyone else on a similar boat as me? I noticed that there's been more GA campus acceptances on here. Anyone have any info on if the decisions this year are going out slower?
Reading through past years threads had more acceptances by this time around. I'm really hoping thats the case.
But good luck to all!

Based on the admissions criteria that I saw for both campuses upon visiting GA-PCOM it appears that PA is more competitive statistically speaking. But I wouldn't let that worry you. Like I said, it took me months to hear back and I know of several people who didn't hear back for 3-4 months. In all probability they have a large volume of applications that take an exorbitant amount of time to stream through.

Based on the admissions criteria that I saw for both campuses upon visiting GA-PCOM it appears that PA is more competitive statistically speaking. But I wouldn't let that worry you. Like I said, it took me months to hear back and I know of several people who didn't hear back for 3-4 months. In all probability they have a large volume of applications that take an exorbitant amount of time to stream through.

Thats reassuring! Hoping for the best. THANK YOU!!

Is there a facebook group for the PA campus?

Do you know the stats of how many of FIRST year biomeds from the entering class of 2015 got into the DO program-philly? I think someone from admissions sends you the info through email once you are accepted to the program.

The stats from previous years were 20 first years, but I heard that last year the # was a record low of 5.

Thanks!

A friend of mine who is first year at GA-PCOMs DO program confirmed to me that 5 first years, and 17 second years got in from her original starting Biomed class....into the GA-PCOM DO program that is. More got into other DO schools.

The thing to watch for GA-PCOM Biomed students though, especially GA residents, is how many GA-PCOM Suwannee students will get into either the Suwanne GA-PCOM DO program versus the new GA-PCOM campus opening in Southwest GA.

(FYI the current GA-PCOM campus is in the northern Atlanta Metropolitan Area, and there is a stated connection between both campuses admissions committes).

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know the stats of how many of FIRST year biomeds from the entering class of 2015 got into the DO program for Philly campus? I think someone from admissions sends you the info through email once you are accepted to the program.

The stats from previous years were 20 first years, but I heard that last year the # was a record low of 5.

Thanks!

Hey guys,

I sent in my application materials (for Philly) via snail mail. I was wondering if they accept recommendation letters (that are signed) via snail mail and email, or is it only via email that they accept the recommendation letters?

Hey guys,

I sent in my application materials (for Philly) via snail mail. I was wondering if they accept recommendation letters (that are signed) via snail mail and email, or is it only via email that they accept the recommendation letters?
I don't think that it really matters, but email would probably be faster and more convenient for both you and them!

I don't think that it really matters, but email would probably be faster and more convenient for both you and them!

I had my professor send mine in via email. Make sure you have the proper letterhead. They are very picky about that.

Does anyone know the stats of how many of FIRST year biomeds from the entering class of 2015 got into the DO program for Philly campus? I think someone from admissions sends you the info through email once you are accepted to the program.

Thanks!
i got accepted a while back to the philly campus and havent gotten anything in regards to those statistics. thats part of the reason why I havent sent in my deposit yet as i am skeptical about this very expensive program

Hi all, I was recently accepted into the GA program. How long after the acceptance letter do they send all the login information? ( I received my acceptance letter on May 1st)

Hi all, I was recently accepted into the GA program. How long after the acceptance letter do they send all the login information? ( I received my acceptance letter on May 1st)

After the admission deposit was paid it was a couple business days for me.

Hey guys. I'm a first year biomed from the Philly campus. A lot of people have been chiming in from Georgia, so I thought I would add. Basically I would recommend doing another post-bacc. If you wanted to use this as a GPA booster don't do it. A lot of us came from big undergrad universities where we did well and now we have less than a 3.5 cum in this program with most people closer to a 3 and a considerable amount of people with less than a 3. As for how many people from Philly got in, last year 5 first years got in and this year so far ~7 first years got in. There are also an abundance of 2nd years right now who have not gotten in and are on a general hold, because the class is already full. Also I've noticed that the people who have been getting in this year really did not need this program (they had good undergrad stats). The classes are difficult and the cut off for an A is a 95. Also like the person from Georgia said, the second year is just a money grab. You basically do nothing biomedical sciences related, except perhaps research, while paying full-time tuition.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys. I'm a first year biomed from the Philly campus. A lot of people have been chiming in from Georgia, so I thought I would add. Basically I would recommend doing another post-bacc. If you wanted to use this as a GPA booster don't do it. A lot of us came from big undergrad universities where we did well and now we have less than a 3.5 cum in this program with most people closer to a 3 and a considerable amount of people with less than a 3. As for how many people from Philly got in, last year 5 first years got in and this year so far ~7 first years got in. There are also an abundance of 2nd years right now who have not gotten in and are on a general hold, because the class is already full. Also I've noticed that the people who have been getting in this year really did not need this program (they had good undergrad stats). The classes are difficult and the cut off for an A is a 95. Also like the person from Georgia said, the second year is just a money grab. You basically do nothing biomedical sciences related, except perhaps research, while paying full-time tuition.
how many PA got into the program