PCOM class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emidesu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started a thread for class of 2011 but of course I meant 2010! Anyone else here?

Members don't see this ad.

I am actually struggling between PCOM and NSU right now. I really LOVED PCOM though. I was very surprised during my visit there by how much I really liked it. It seems like a great school and I like the way the classes are set up (systems based). But ... it is expensive which is making me hedge about it. I think I'm going to put the first deposit down to think about it some more but I may see you there next fall!

For me it's PCOM or UVM in the fall. I just turned down UNECOM. It wasn't an easy decision, but I think I made the right one. Anyway, whether I end up in Philadelphia or Burlington in the fall I'll be thrilled.

Does PCOM have a mascot? Silly question, I know, but I've been wondering.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been waiting for AWHILE to hear back from them and I sent in my stuff long time ago. How long did you guys wait to hear bout an interview?? is it still early in the admissions process?? everytime i call they say they're still looking at my file. any advice???

I'm sold on PCOM... officially the class of 2010. I can't wait to meet my colleagues this friday at the accepted luncheon. Congrats to everyone else.

I'm also going to the luncheon on Friday--see you there. Congrats to everyone!

I wanted to know if a laptop was an important commodity to have during M1 and M2??

hey all you pcomers i was wondering if i should apply right now. i have overall 3.50 g.p.a with MCAT 23O, i don't know if i should do it now because it is pretty late in the application cycle, should i give it a shot?

Hey everyone! I just received my acceptance letter. I will see everyone in August! Can't wait. :eek:

ppormansdoormd said:
hey all you pcomers i was wondering if i should apply right now. i have overall 3.50 g.p.a with MCAT 23O, i don't know if i should do it now because it is pretty late in the application cycle, should i give it a shot?

Do It! The worse they can say is No. See what happens.

I just wanted to wish all my fellow incomming 2010 colleagues at PCOM a happy holidays, and I can't wait to join everyone in August!!!!

Happy Holidays to you KMMD and to all future Doctors of Class of 2010! Be Careful..Have Fun..Enjoy life now!!

About to go make some Mojitos and see Santa at the mall..Awww how cute? :mad: What I will do for Grandma.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :laugh:

I was excited to see a thread started for the PCOM class of 2010, as I am also planning to attend in the fall! I'm looking forward to meeting everyone. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
DO Sigma Nu guy said:
Do It! The worse they can say is No. See what happens.
I agree!

Congratulations to all of you. I look forward to meeting all of you next year. I will be a 5th year OMM Fellow. If you have any questions about PCOM, please feel free to post them there and I will try to answer as best I can.

Again, congrats!

Anybody else get their welcome binder? It got me really excited, although all this financial aid crap is a drain... Does anyone know where they're going to live? I currently live right by the art museum--if you're up for a drink, lemme know!

Hibby417 said:
Anybody else get their welcome binder? It got me really excited, although all this financial aid crap is a drain... Does anyone know where they're going to live? I currently live right by the art museum--if you're up for a drink, lemme know!

I'm driving up there the beginning or middle of march to look for apartments. We should meet up..you can show me around a little. Class of 2010!

Don't let the financial aid stuff bother you. Everything works pretty much the same as it did in undergrad except you have a greater allowance of funds that you can take out (stafford - sub & unsub) than you could in college.

You can take up to $38,500.00 per year (30K unsub, 8,500 sub).

On top of this many people also take private loans to bring the total close to $50,000/year.

One company I chose was THE (www.northstar.com). Im not endorsing them, but I have always had good customer service with them.

The PCOM Financial Aid office has plenty of resources regarding THE, Sallie Mae and other lenders which would be more than happy to have your business.

As a medical student you probably won't get turned down for loans so it is sometimes difficult to be responsible and not go overboard!

The total loan debt that you can rack up is around $190,000.00 which includes all government loans. More information on this can be found at www.pcom.edu and click on Financial Aid.

Hope this helps.

Hey guys,

I had my interview 12/12 and recently found out I got accepted! Congrats to all of you and look forward to meeting you all in August! :)

ahoy guys and gals!

I was accepted in November and am happy to say that I will be attending PCOM this year! I live in northeast philly, so if anyone needs a place to crash while looking around the area for places, let me know. also, if anyone from the area is up for a drink just post or PM me. chao.

Hibby417 said:
PM me...I live in Germantown.

Hey just wanted to let everyone know...There is a PCOM Class of 2010 group on MYSPACE. I know a few other people are on it already. Just filling everyone else in.

Hasta la pasta. :D :D :D

hey guys, i just applied to PCOM via AACOMAS on 01/17, do you guys think i have any chance of getting an interview invite with an MCAT of 23O, 3.45 overall g.p.a and science and non-science around 3.40

ppormansdoormd said:
hey guys, i just applied to PCOM via AACOMAS on 01/17, do you guys think i have any chance of getting an interview invite with an MCAT of 23O, 3.45 overall g.p.a and science and non-science around 3.40

Seriously..I dont think so. AACOMAS takes 3-4 weeks. Then you have to wait to recieve your secondary. Then you would have to wait another 2 or more weeks for PCOM to review your file. Then hopefully get an interview invite. That is putting you somewhere around march (on a good day). I wish you the best of luck..I believe they are interviewing in april..but most likely for waitlist spots. Just have everything ready man. If you are close...drop off your secondary application & fee by hand.

Buena Suerte.

What up...What up?

Medhacker in the house to say I am PCOM class of 2010!!!!

medhacker said:
What up...What up?

Medhacker in the house to say I am PCOM class of 2010!!!!

See you this summer bro!

Congratulations medhacker

If you can sing it take histology before you get to PCOM and get a B or better in the class. No name U, community college all work. The department allows you to place out of the pratical portion of the class by taking a test during orientation. You have to get an 80 or better and that becomes your whenever there is a histology pratical. This allows you to get 25% of your grade done before classes start. The place out test is designed for you to pass and they give a review the day before the test that shows you Everything that will be on the test. You have tot kae histology and get at least a B to be able to take the test. It makes life so much easier because the test is much easier than the other praticals and frees up more time for the anatomy portion of SPOM.

JonnyG said:
If you can sing it take histology before you get to PCOM and get a B or better in the class. No name U, community college all work. The department allows you to place out of the pratical portion of the class by taking a test during orientation. You have to get an 80 or better and that becomes your whenever there is a histology pratical. This allows you to get 25% of your grade done before classes start. The place out test is designed for you to pass and they give a review the day before the test that shows you Everything that will be on the test. You have tot kae histology and get at least a B to be able to take the test. It makes life so much easier because the test is much easier than the other praticals and frees up more time for the anatomy portion of SPOM.

I wish I knew that before I decided to graduate. Damn.

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
I wish I knew that before I decided to graduate. Damn.

You should not take the summer biochem course and find a histology course at a local school. This can be taken anywhere. This course is more valuable then summer biochem.

Hey PCOMers!
I'm going to have to plead major ingorance here, but I'm a bit in the dark when it comes to financial aid. I was fortunate enough during undergrad that I didn't have to pay for anything, but I've been on my own for a while now, hence the need for financial aid. I'm confused about with whom I apply for Stafford loans. Is it understood that this is what I'm applying for when I file FAFSA? And on PCOM's financial aid application, should I indicate the full amount of Stafford loans possible? And how do Perkins loans fit in? And what is this special PCOM Stafford loan (Keystone Best), and how is that different than anything else? Many thanks in advance to anybody who can help shed some light on this stuff! Obviously, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Thanks and see you in August!

JonnyG said:
You should not take the summer biochem course and find a histology course at a local school. This can be taken anywhere. This course is more valuable then summer biochem.

I'm checking into that now. Thanks

ooh yea...Has anyone been on NUCLEUS yet? Its pretty cool. They have all the names of the people in our class. A hella lot of people have put in their deposits already..i'm guessing ~150 people. Time is ticking down.

What's up class?

PCOM's site says the fitness facilities are available to student's family members, does anyone know if they are available free of cost? or how much are they for say wife, kid etc? thanks

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
ooh yea...Has anyone been on NUCLEUS yet? Its pretty cool. They have all the names of the people in our class. A hella lot of people have put in their deposits already..i'm guessing ~150 people. Time is ticking down.

Hey Sigma homie

how did you access that?

medhacker said:
Hey Sigma homie

how did you access that?

I just got my admissions binder in the mail today...it contained more information and also my PCOM email address. You wont get it until you send in your deposit..and then wait 2-3 weeks

Sorry!

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
I just got my admissions binder in the mail today...it contained more information and also my PCOM email address. You wont get it until you send in your deposit..and then wait 2-3 weeks

Sorry!

ahh no wonder!
Hurry PCOM I want my login or I will hack my way in :laugh:

medhacker said:
ahh no wonder!

HaHA thats what i'm talking about...just hack your way in and make your own email addy.

Viva Cuervo! haha i just love tequila

medhacker said:
ahh no wonder!

When is your deposit due?

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
Oh shoot thats soon. U send it yet?

It's going out tomorrow with the quickness... :love:

so do you see any latino last names from that student list?
I am telling you man...look at star trek, no latinos! you know what that means? They just weren't planning to have us around in the future...

LOL j/k

medhacker said:
It's going out tomorrow with the quickness... :love:

so do you see any latino last names from that student list?
I am telling you man...look at star trek, no latinos! you know what that means? They just weren't planning to have us around in the future...

LOL j/k

HAHAHA...yea thats true. It was funny because my father checked the list out..and asked me if there were any hispanics that I know there. I found 1 or two...but you really can't go by last name...I have an american last name...my spanish name is my two middle names...kinda weird.

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
HAHAHA...yea thats true. It was funny because my father checked the list out..and asked me if there were any hispanics that I know there. I found 1 or two...but you really can't go by last name...I have an american last name...my spanish name is my two middle names...kinda weird.

yeah but you are weird like that LOL/j.k.
chances are with a latino you will get: Martinez, Sanchez, Lopez, Gomez

well at least we won't be alone :smuggrin:

medhacker said:
yeah but you are weird like that LOL/j.k.
chances are with a latino you will get: Martinez, Sanchez, Lopez, Gomez

well at least we won't be alone :smuggrin:

LOL my grandmother's maiden name is Martinez..and my step-father..every puerto rican has martinez. My father's last name is Encarnacion. Now thats pretty rare

Hey who is going to be in the philly area the weekend of March 17-19? I'm traveling up there for apt searching and if anyone wants to grab a bite to eat/chill at a bar send me a PM or post.

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
LOL my grandmother's maiden name is Martinez..and my step-father..every puerto rican has martinez. My father's last name is Encarnacion. Now thats pretty rare

Bendito! Ese!

Encarnacion is almost as puerto-rican as las alcapurrias... hmm que rico!

alcapurrias.jpg

medhacker said:
Bendito! Ese!

Encarnacion is almost as puerto-rican as las alcapurrias... hmm que rico!

alcapurrias.jpg

Haha I just had some of them last thursday. Damn so goood

Hey guys:

I hope I don't have to post this in other places. But for anyone in the know about this, I am debating whether to move to PA or stay in so. Jersey. According to Mapquest my driving time should be about 21 minutes. Of course this doesn't include jams and accidents etc. Should I realistically expect to drive in the morning from so. jersey and back from PCOM at +/-21 minutes a pop?

This would be my route:

3: Merge onto NJ-42 N toward WALT WHITMAN BR / CAMDEN. 5.5 miles Map

4: NJ-42 N becomes I-76 W. 2.0 miles Map

5: Merge onto I-676 N via EXIT 2 toward CAMDEN / B FRANKLIN BR (Portions toll). 5.4 miles Map

6: Take the I-676 W / US-30 W exit on the LEFT. <0.1 miles Map

7: Merge onto US-30 W. 2.6 miles Map

8: Stay STRAIGHT to go onto I-76 W. 2.7 miles Map

9: Merge onto US-1 S via EXIT 339 on the LEFT toward CITY AVE. 1.0 miles Map

10: Merge onto US-1 S / CITY AVE E via EXIT 339 on the LEFT. 0.6 miles Map

11: End at 4170 City Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19131-1610, US

I would prefer for now to stay in so. Jersey but only if I won't be spending an hour in traffic each way. Your advice is greatly appreciated ;)

Well I'll be in the class of 2010!!! "DO"-ing it at PCOM!!!!! (I know I'm only mildly funny) Anyway I hope to meet all you great people in August or sometime sooner.