PCOM class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was unable to make it today-and therefore could not meet my lab partners...yall have fun???

Members don't see this ad.

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
:thumbup: How did everyone like today? Like your lab partners?

Its gonna be a fun year.

I like my lab partners, but today was pretty warm, even with the "heat wave break" and the lowered humidity. I hope I don't look as warm as I felt in my lab group photo! :laugh:

Dancing Doctor said:
I like my lab partners, but today was pretty warm, even with the "heat wave break" and the lowered humidity. I hope I don't look as warm as I felt in my lab group photo! :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: In the photo you will be able to see sweat dripping down my face. Soo many people in that small area. :smuggrin:

Other than that, I had a blast meeting everyone. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
IMHO this was the best event thus far :thumbup:

What are we doing tomorrow?? :confused:

medhacker said:
IMHO this was the best event thus far :thumbup:

What are we doing tomorrow?? :confused:

Yea I agree. Best event so far.

Tomorrow I think we have administrative stuff to listen too and then bowling from 6-9pm I believe.

You going?

Hi guys! It was nice to meet so many of you today! Your class looks to be a great addition to the school.

Yes, tomorrow is filled with welcomes from about ten people to start. Then we have an icebreaker planned. I would tell you more, but then that would ruin the surprise! :) I assure you that it will be fun.

Enjoy!

I couldn't make it to the picnic either (friend's wedding)! How do I find out who is in my anatomy group?

HPSP students,

Is it typical for PCOM to use your stafford loan to pay tuition until the military sends them a check? They used everything I was counting on to survive to pay my tuition since the military pays late. Now I get nothing. Honestly, I don't see how I can stay in school.

HooahDOc said:
HPSP students,

Is it typical for PCOM to use your stafford loan to pay tuition until the military sends them a check? They used everything I was counting on to survive to pay my tuition since the military pays late. Now I get nothing. Honestly, I don't see how I can stay in school.
See whether the FA office can give you a short-term loan until the military sends your money...they did this for GradPlus loans.

luv2jig said:
I couldn't make it to the picnic either (friend's wedding)! How do I find out who is in my anatomy group?
There was an attachment to the reminder email for Sunday. If you didn't get that, Student Affairs has the list.

Just wondering what did all you guys get on your MCATS and college GPA to get in there.

hey guys,
i've heard a lot of opinions on what textbooks to get and i was hoping to get some final opinions before i empty my pockets to the bookstore.

if you could say yes or no to whether you thought 50% or more of the class ended up buying and using the following books, i would really appreciate it.

1. clinicially oriented anatom - moore and dalley
2. grant's atlas (i know this is a yes)
3. before we are born
4. color atlas of histology - garner and hiatt
5. department of anatomy's histology laboratory manual

and finally, i've heard we also need the (1) omt review (2) bates - what is this? and (3) the history-time cd in library? are all of these absolutely necessary? (4) USMLE - step 1 prep book?

thank you so much. i appreciate any input a lot.

1. clinicially oriented anatom - moore and dalley (yes its a good referenece, dont read it)
2. grant's atlas (lab table will buy one together for lab, free netters by joining SOMA. SO this is a NO)
3. before we are born (Kvist doesnt teach anything from this book. I did worse when i read it)
4. color atlas of histology - garner and hiatt ( Histo time is all you need, borrow it from the library and put it on your ocmputer)
5. department of anatomy's histology laboratory manual (you need this)

I never used First Aid for the step 1. I just live by the packets and scribes.

Members don't see this ad :)
e.beth said:
hey guys,
i've heard a lot of opinions on what textbooks to get and i was hoping to get some final opinions before i empty my pockets to the bookstore.

if you could say yes or no to whether you thought 50% or more of the class ended up buying and using the following books, i would really appreciate it.

1. clinicially oriented anatom - moore and dalley
2. grant's atlas (i know this is a yes)
3. before we are born
4. color atlas of histology - garner and hiatt
5. department of anatomy's histology laboratory manual

and finally, i've heard we also need the (1) omt review (2) bates - what is this? and (3) the history-time cd in library? are all of these absolutely necessary? (4) USMLE - step 1 prep book?

thank you so much. i appreciate any input a lot.

moore: if you always read assigned textbooks in college and didn't find it to be a waste of time...then this book is good...if you're not a reader and found that you normally got by just fine on class notes and review books....then definitely don't get this...I rec. the smaller version of moore if anything...it has good clinical correlations in its blue boxes and is much more to the point

grants atlas: get one to share at your lab table if there isn't one already....otherwise the free netter that you get from joining SOMA is very good...I also highlly rec. Rohens atlas...its full color real pictures and I found it to be a good way test myself when not in lab and after looking at netter

before we are born: again..only get it if you really consider yourself a reader....class notes and scribe notes should be plenty....embryo is also a very low-yield topic. HY or BRS series review books may also be useful for embryo...before we are born is just too much in my opinion

histo atlas: another no-go...the histo-time cd will be plenty along w/ the lab manual

omt review book by savarese: excellent in my opinion....highlights what you really need to know and puts in succinctly...combine this w/ scribe notes and your OMM lab notes and you'll know more then enough

bates: a good buy in my opinion...history and physical exam stuff is real important and this book is considered the bible in our schools department...stuff on practicals comes directly out of it and it clarifies some info from class

step 1 prep book (I'm assuming you mean First Aid): Useful book...but I would advise you to not get it until you start third trimester...the book is systems based and you start the true systems part of our curriculum at that time....also...a new version comes out every year around dec/jan

2 other books that I would highly rec. are BRS Pathology and BRS Physiology...you don't get much path till 2nd trimester and physio until 3rd...but these 2 books are very well done and useful for classes and the boards....by far the best books in the BRS series

good luck....and remember that being efficient is probably the most important thing you can do in med school studying...if a book or method is taking up a ton of time and you don't feel like its helping much....drop it and try something else

Class of 2010 baby! The bar crawl was great!

Whoa is everyone busy studying for our POP Quiz tomorrow. HAHa. If we really have one..that wouldnt be funny i guess.

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
Whoa is everyone busy studying for our POP Quiz tomorrow. HAHa. If we really have one..that wouldnt be funny i guess.

I am going to kill you for saying that. My heart jumped a beat. On a sidenote, I have been studying my ASS off.

Later

USArmyDoc said:
I am going to kill you for saying that. My heart jumped a beat. On a sidenote, I have been studying my ASS off.

Later

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Well people have been talking about it. No one knows...but seriously it would be the perfect time to quiz us on it... since we are flipping the cadaver over to do the pectoral region. :cool:

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Well people have been talking about it. No one knows...but seriously it would be the perfect time to quiz us on it... since we are flipping the cadaver over to do the pectoral region. :cool:
:eek: I admit it, I suffer from pop quiz anxiety regardless of how much I study.

Come to the Aloha party tonight. It has always been the best party of the year. :thumbup: :thumbup:

BklynWill said:
Come to the Aloha party tonight. It has always been the best party of the year. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Will What do we wear?

I was sure we were gonna have a quiz today.

you are not required ot be in class os there cannot be any pop quizes in lecture. they have to tell you ahead of time. That being said one teacher gives a pop quiz once every test block but they dont count. Sometimes she tells you this and other times she doesn't. Anatomy lab has a quiz every two weeks.

JonnyG said:
you are not required ot be in class os there cannot be any pop quizes in lecture. they have to tell you ahead of time. That being said one teacher gives a pop quiz once every test block but they dont count. Sometimes she tells you this and other times she doesn't. Anatomy lab has a quiz every two weeks.

We had some bonus point "pop quizzes" last year in pediatrics and geriatrics (second-year classes) but never have we had a pop quiz that was detrimental to our grade.

And what to wear tonight... Hawaiin clothing is preferred, but I am just gonna wear something I didn't wear over the past two years. Bring a can of food too.

Bump.

How is the studying going everyone? one last day of studying!

I just wanna be done with this one!

1st practical and SPOM exam DONE!

hey guys! i have an interview coming up on thursday. maybe i'll see some of you there. any advice/general opinions about the school?

thanks.

hey guys! i have an interview coming up on thursday. maybe i'll see some of you there. any advice/general opinions about the school?

thanks.

Be yourself! I know you'll hear it a hundred times but relax and absorb the information that you learn about the campus during the tours. Also take some time to ask questions about the curriculum for example SPOM.

You'll be fine, you made it this far....now back to studying!:D

just got my letter, see you all next year! :p

PCOM People,

I can't decide :confused: whether or not I should invest my time/money into filling out the PCOM supplemental. I want to learn more about the school...can someone please PM me. I would absolutely love to talk on the with a PCOM student (perferably 2nd, 3rd, or 4th). My questions range from clinical experience to the school atmosphere (students, faculty etc.)--Already looked at the website etc. etc.

Please PM me!!!! :)

so we're almost done with SPOM...thank goodness!

WooOOHooo Done with SPOM!

On to Hell and tissue

Yes the 1st step is over. Let me get out my handbasket!!:D

is it possible to do third and fourth year rotations in Michigan or do they have to be done around Philadelphia?

Can you believe it's time for graduation??

oops wrong thread

Last edited:
Hi, can any seniors or residents comment on the 3rd year rotation quality, especially IM?

Thanks

I'm sold on PCOM... officially the class of 2010. I can't wait to meet my colleagues this friday at the accepted luncheon. Congrats to everyone else.

hey got in PHARMD?????????