PCOM DO/PHD transfer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleep deprived

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in my second year at another osteo medical school which does not have a combined DO/PHD program. I am doing very well, and want to pursue this. Does anyone know about PCOM's program and if it is possible to transfer there and enter it.?
Better yet, is there a person enrolled in PCOM's DO/PHD program right now who can help me out?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry to have no answer for you, but there are currently no active people on the forums here who attend any DO/PhD program, let alone PCOM. In general, this never happens for MD/PhD programs (if it does it is very rare), but I would advise you to talk to PCOM directly about this issue.

Good luck!

PCOM's Phd is in Health Policy as opposed to the traditional basic sciences..FYI just in case you were interested in 1. funding and 2. basic science research. PCOM as far as I know has neither. I also believe the PhD is in conjunction with another institution...perhaps St. Joseph's. I would suggest visiting the website for more information as well as calling like Neuronix suggested.

Members don't see this ad :)
All I could gather from the web site was that the PHD is done at the University of Science's in Philadelphia as an entirely separate degree. You apparently go to PCOM during the day, and graduate school at night. I didn't know it was only health policy though. Thanks for the information.

Originally posted by sleep deprived
All I could gather from the web site was that the PHD is done at the University of Science's in Philadelphia as an entirely separate degree.

My understanding from speaking with folks at the medical school is that you can do a PhD at another local institution. You could potentially also get it funded by the NIH as well.

path2rb,

Can you please direct me with who to speak with at the school? I am having trouble finding the appropriate person to contact. I keep speaking with a secretary who knows nothing about my inquiry. She says she has never been asked this before, and she can't really help me. She takes my message, and I have not been called back. It seems the policy regarding this is not well worked out. Who should I talk to? Please help me.

path2rb,

Can you please direct me with who to speak with at the school? I am having trouble finding the appropriate person to contact. I keep speaking with a secretary who knows nothing about my inquiry. She says she has never been asked this before, and she can't really help me. She takes my message, and I have not been called back. It seems the policy regarding this is not well worked out. Who should I talk to? Please help me.

Sure, I'm going to need a few days to dig up some of the old info I have on this school.

Thank you so much. I will give you my e-mail to contact me if you can IM me at some time. Or maybe the administrator can provide you with my e-mail. That might be easier. I don't want to post my e-mail on the board, it has my full name in it. I really appreciate your help.

it would be great to have that information for everyone on the board. sleepdeprived if after you get the hook up from Path...can you give us a brief overview of what you found out? thanks Path and sleepdeprived...

sure, I am still waiting to hear from path. If and when I do, I will update. But I am sure he is busy, and this is not high priority.

I am in my second year at another osteo medical school which does not have a combined DO/PHD program. I am doing very well, and want to pursue this. Does anyone know about PCOM's program and if it is possible to transfer there and enter it.?
Better yet, is there a person enrolled in PCOM's DO/PHD program right now who can help me out?

You might try checking out DO/PhD programs at MSU-COM or University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth.

But I am sure he is busy, and this is not high priority.

SHE actually has been busy raising a kid on my own, preparing for my first exam in Pathology last Wednesday, and writing an abstrat due on Sept. 26, 2003. And then there's those hours in spend in the lab.........................:eek:

I didn't write the name down on any of the info I have on the school, but I know I saved the email they sent me. I'll have to dig throught the emails I have archived so that may take more time.

Hold your horses, it's coming:laugh: :laugh:

The person I spoke to at PCOM was Marian Watkins. She was the Cooridinator of Minority Recruitment.

Good Luck!!!

Thanks Path2rb, I had no problem with waiting. I was just greatful for your help. I am not a minority. Is this still the appropriate person for me to contact? Thanks again.
Oh, and sorry for calling you "He". I didn't realize you were a "She."