PCOM-GA vs. NYITCOM-AR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Singerpremed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was first accepted into NYITCOM Arkansas campus before I even had an interview with PCOM GA. I put my deposit down with NYITCOM but this is my future and I am saving if I want to put another deposit down. I was recently accepted into PCOM GA and waitlisted for LECOM Erie. My $250 deposit for PCOM GA is due January 22nd. Any help in this decision would be greatly appreciated.

PCOM-GA:
+I love the location. It's closer to family (less than 6 hour drive) and more familiar being from Florida. I also like it being near Atlanta and it's a nice place for my bf who is in the IT field (he will move in with me) but he wants me to pick the best school for me regardless.
+Good reputation. I've just heard good things about PCOM. Nothing specific but seems to have a good reputation for a good education. Maybe someone can help me with why this is.
-I asked about what is around for someone interested in singing/music/arts/extracurricular stuff. I couldn't get a single answer from anyone. As you can see by my username...I love to sing. So it was shocking that no one could think of anything.
-I was not in love with the campus and studying facilities.

NYITCOM-AR
+I loved the campus. The campus was on an undergrad campus (arkansas state university) and reminded me a lot of my undergrad school. It had everything I would want in a campus. The building for NYIT students was 24 hours and had amazing study rooms. The gym was amazing and a few minutes walk from the college.
+The interviewer understood my interest in singing and talk to me about places I could sing at in downtown etc. He was very understanding in my desire to do something other than studying 24/7.
-I am not fond of the location. It isn't exactly close to family and it is sort of in the middle of nowhere though it isn't too far from Memphis, TN. It's also probably not the best place for my bf but again he wants me to choose the best school for me.

Questions or Equivalent Stuff
?/= I am unsure of how good the rotations in both schools
= After the delta scholarship, the tuition cost is almost the same
= Both are not the main campus of the original school.

I am doing further research but I would like to hear some opinions. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

PCOM GA and I don't think its very close.

Biggest reason is because its closest to your family, this value cannot be over stated.

PCOM has a better name, but I am not sure there is that big of a difference in reputation between the schools because GA is a branch campus. Also, NYIT arkansas is a new school.

Reactions: 1 user
PCOM GA and I don't think its very close.

Biggest reason is because its closest to your family, this value cannot be over stated.

PCOM has a better name, but I am not sure there is that big of a difference in reputation between the schools because GA is a branch campus. Also, NYIT arkansas is a new school.
Thank you for your response! This is all such a big decision! >.< Just got to consider it all you know? lol

PCOM-GA. I might be biased because I've only lived on the East Coast, but the suburbs of Atlanta might have better quality living. Some of the suburbs of Atl are very nice. Also, if your partner would want to get a job in Atlanta, it's only 30 minutes from PCOM-GA and you both could possibly split the commuting distance (15 minutes a piece). Closer living to your family is huge!

Members don't see this ad :)
PCOM-GA. I might be biased because I've only lived on the East Coast, but the suburbs of Atlanta might have better quality living. Some of the suburbs of Atl are very nice. Also, if your partner would want to get a job in Atlanta, it's only 30 minutes from PCOM-GA and you both could possibly split the commuting distance (15 minutes a piece). Closer living to your family is huge!
Yeah that's a good point. I am biased for that reason but I'm trying to make the best decision considering all factors. lol He can be the one to commute lol. Thanks for your response! :)

Also I think you were accepted to ARCOM...which would have been better than NYIT

Also I think you were accepted to ARCOM...which would have been better than NYIT
I understand your opinion but personally I did not feel that way. Anyway, that's not an option anymore lol. But it definitely makes the case for pcom better!

What bad things have you heard?! o_O Thank you for your response! :)
Do a couple of searches on here. Basically, rotations, the state doesn't want the school there so no hospitals want to take students, etc.

Location also sucks (imo).

I love when pre-med students, who are still blissfully ignorant about how the world truly works, attempt to make definitive statements about schools on message boards. You seem to have everything figured out. Must be nice. Congratulations on being accepted to medical school, but you might want to thing twice before you go around slandering other schools, its just not a good look, and becoming a doctor requires professionalism. Since I am actually a current medical student with more realistic insight as it pertains to how things actually work, and what rotations look like I would gladly entertain any questions. Just PM me. Be careful of "fake news" on sites like this. It's best to do more quality research before making any important life decisions.
Lol chill, I didn't claim to know anything. OP asked for advice and I just told them to search the threads and make their own decision...I never put my thoughts on anyone. You tried really hard to turn this into a personal attack on me for whatever reason.

Edit: I guess the only thought I did share was not liking the location lol

Reactions: 1 users
Lol chill, I didn't claim to know anything. OP asked for advice and I just told them to search the threads and make their own decision...I never put my thoughts on anyone. You tried really hard to turn this into a personal attack on me for whatever reason.

Edit: I guess the only thought I did share was not liking the location lol
Hey it's cool for you guys to share ideas! I also talked to my dad about rotations and he said being near Atlanta has advantages due to population and patient size etc.

You claim to know that the rotations are an issue and that the state doesn’t want the school. “Based upon some searches”... Thus your are disseminating information that you are not qualified to provide. I would just be careful with that going forward. Could end up putting yourself in less than optimal situations doing stuff like that.

lay off. Any rational person will find that NYIT-AR is a bad deal (along with the rest of the new branch DO schools). A school from new york put together a branch campus in the middle of Arkansas.... of course its not going to be great school it doesn't even need to be said. While GA-PCOM is similar, at least its mothership is as highly regarded as a DO school could be and the location will make it easier to have decent rotations / access to research and what not if needed.

Reactions: 1 users