PCOM-Georgia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A DO letter for GAPCOM is not reqd, but recommended. I never shadowed a DO (*gasp*), instead I had one of the MD's that I shadowed write me an LOR and I got in. I guess it just depends.

Members don't see this ad.

I got in and did not have a lor from a D.O. I just had a very extensive understanding of the profession. So if you can't get a letter, be sure to know the history, and why you want to become a part of it.

PCOM-GA
class of 2009

Hello everyone....I am so happy that I found this forum. I have been reading your posting and found some REALLY good information. But I am still nervous about my upcoming interview at PCOM-GA. The interview is on Feb 15th and I am not ready for the interview at all!!!!. Can anyone please tell me what kind of questions they will ask? Are the interviewers nice or do they just set out to "torture" you with hard questions?? Any helps or suggestions are greatly appreciated...and how to remain calm during the interview. This is my first interview at a med school and I really don't know what to expect :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
gadis said:
Hello everyone....I am so happy that I found this forum. I have been reading your posting and found some REALLY good information. But I am still nervous about my upcoming interview at PCOM-GA. The interview is on Feb 15th and I am not ready for the interview at all!!!!. Can anyone please tell me what kind of questions they will ask? Are the interviewers nice or do they just set out to "torture" you with hard questions?? Any helps or suggestions are greatly appreciated...and how to remain calm during the interview. This is my first interview at a med school and I really don't know what to expect :confused:

Gadis,
PCOM interviewers were one of the best people who have interviewed me till now. They are not at all to torture you but to understand you 'what kind of person you are and whether you will be a good fit for there school'. Make sure you have read your primary and secondary application. They read your file and your LOR carefully and try to ask questions base on that.
Few of the questions which they asked me:

You will have to compete against other doctors (MD and DO) who would be very well qualified, how are you going to do that?
What have been your experiences having worked in a hospital setting for last two /three years?
You know that life of a doctor is not very normal, they have to attend to calls at night, would you be able to live that kind of life?
Why do you have this grade in xxx class and have you taken any other class in the same field where you have done well. (I had taken a graduate level class in the same area where i had an A). So they are not saying that because you have a bad grade in xxx class you are not a good student but can you show us that if we give you an oppurtunity a second time, you CAN excel.
Why you didn't do so well in verbal section when you did extremely well in other two sections of MCAT.

And than lot of personal questions about international exposure ( as I have lived in foreign countries). After the interview, I thought as if they knew my file left and right.

They didn't asked me any hard questions but general questions. They also didn't asked me any ethical questions. At the end of the day, the interview was peaceful and I left the room saying to myself 'man these guys are so nice, I wish i can be associated with them as a medical student next year"

Good Luck.

If you have any other questions, PM me.

Mandar

check out the interview feedback for Pcom on the main page of SDN. about 90 percent of my questions were the same as other people's, So if you know how to answer all of these you will do fine. Its easy anyway so dont worry.

Two points that they will surely touch on:

1) Why DO not MD? You should know about the osteopathic profession and why it fits for you. This is important to them

2) Will you stay in the Southeast? GA, TN, AL, NC etc. They are looking for physicians to be trained to serve the southeastern part of the U.S. It is up to you whether you want to tell them you are going to stay, but that is what they want to know.

Other than those, just the basic questions mentioned above. Don't be nervous, they are not out to make you sweat.

BMW-

gadis said:

Hello everyone... I am new to student doctor network so hopefully everyone can read this... My name is Johnathon and I am from Memphis,TN.. I interviewed there at PCOM-GA on January 24th (and my acceptance letter was dated January 24th) and it was by far the most positive and enjoyable interview I have been on (both MD and DO)... I was so pleased and impressed with everything about PCOM-GA that I have withdrawn my application from the other MD and DO schools I applied to...and I will for sure be a member of the class of 2009 ...My deposit has already been sent in and I plan on moving to Duluth/Suwanee next month.. Maybe somebody has some suggestions/advice since I will be new in town down there?? Also if somebody would like to organize a social event for all of the class of 2009 I would be more than happy to help in that...Finally, if any of you guys would like to email me personally my email is [email protected]... Take care and I look forward to getting to know each and everyone of you ..---Johnathon

Cadillac Man... said:
Hello everyone... I am new to student doctor network so hopefully everyone can read this... My name is Johnathon and I am from Memphis,TN.. I interviewed there at PCOM-GA on January 24th (and my acceptance letter was dated January 24th) and it was by far the most positive and enjoyable interview I have been on (both MD and DO)... I was so pleased and impressed with everything about PCOM-GA that I have withdrawn my application from the other MD and DO schools I applied to...and I will for sure be a member of the class of 2009 ...My deposit has already been sent in and I plan on moving to Duluth/Suwanee next month.. Maybe somebody has some suggestions/advice since I will be new in town down there?? Also if somebody would like to organize a social event for all of the class of 2009 I would be more than happy to help in that...Finally, if any of you guys would like to email me personally my email is [email protected]... Take care and I look forward to getting to know each and everyone of you ..---Johnathon

Congrats Johnathon :D Be sure and check out the accepted thread in Osteo PCOM GA 2009 and send your email address and contact info to BMW19. He's got a list of all SDN/GA peeps planning to attend.

Hello everyone!!
I got my acceptance letter today!! YES!
The interview was indeed very laid back. Dr. Evans and Mr. Doublestein did not ask me any technical questions, they were just merely chit-chatting with me, asking about my background, my family and etc. And my interview was very short....I think it is only 15 mins or less. Anyway, I just want to thank everyone for their support and all the wonderful feedback about the interview process.

Thank you and see you all in August 2005!!! :laugh:

Gadis,

Congrats! Welcome to the club. Be sure to check out the "GA-PCOM 2009" thread in the Osteopathic forum. Everyone has been posting in there.

BMW-

gadis said:
Hello everyone!!
The interview was indeed very laid back. Dr. Evans and Mr. Doublestein did not ask me any technical questions, they were just merely chit-chatting with me, asking about my background, my family and etc. And my interview was very short....I think it is only 15 mins or less. Anyway, I just want to thank everyone for their support and all the wonderful feedback about the interview process.

gadis said:
Hello everyone!!

Hey Gadis, just out of curiosity. . . when did you have your interview?

Geronimo said:
My guess is that your file will be sent to the adcom in Philly for consideration. During our day, Dr. Evans said that some will be expedited based on how close the interviewers scores are and then those that have scores that differ will be sent to the adcom in Philly to be decided on. Don't sweat it yet!

I don't believe that your MCAT/GPA results in delays. GA-PCOM interviews less than 10% of their total applicants which means that an interview offer deems you academically capable. I was accepted by GA-PCOM on the same day that I interviewed.

I will most probably be attending PCOM-Atl, so I was wondering if any of you are fresh out of college. I will be graduating in May and was wondering if there are any other "youngens" in the group. :)

Go to the "GA-PCOM where are you?" thread in the osteopathic group. That is where we all are. Congrats and welcome to the class.

BMW-

pvt27 said:
I will most probably be attending PCOM-Atl, so I was wondering if any of you are fresh out of college. I will be graduating in May and was wondering if there are any other "youngens" in the group. :)

does PCOM-GA only accept GA/south residents?

GA-PCOM Mission is to educate residents of Georgia and surrounding states. They would prefer people who will stick around the South.

Check out www.pcom.edu and click on Georgia Campus for more information.