PCOM/LECOM- Need your insight please...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocGina

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between PCOM and LECOM. PCOM has a well-tenured program, it's closer to my family, but it's big $$$. LECOM is cheaper, has the Problem Based Learning curriculum, however it's relatively new so it's not as reputable and it's over 6 hours away from my family.

I'm not basing my decision on this, but rather I am seeking additional insight from anyone who is knowledgable about the two schools. Your comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I like PCOM. I have found it to be challanging and rewarding. Not sure what else I can offer.

Ultimatly the decision is yours. It will depend on which aspect is most important to you.

I'm a current MS I at LECOM and was accepted off the waiting list at PCOM (but declined obviously). From my experience thus far I really like LECOM. The professors are well-rounded and concerned with your performance. We also started our clinical experiences this semester which is very informative. It's nice to be able to integrate what we've learned so far in a clinical perspective. As far as PBL, I can't offer much insight. I am a lecture/discussion pathway person. Although LECOM may not be quite as prestigious as PCOM, they have made a name for themself since 1992. We start clinical medicine early and require a high degree of professionalism, both in preparation for rotations and our eventual careers. The dress code and sterile environment of the school can wear on you, but the quality of education certainly outweighs those adversities. If you have any questions feel free to drop me an email at [email protected] or send me a PM. good luck w/ your decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also in a simliar predicament as you, deciding between the two. i finally decided on lecom. what it boiled down to was the money issue. i'd save about 8,000/yr living in erie compared to philly. i racked up a ****load of debt from undergrad so money was a priority. on the downside, living in erie is like being in the twilight zone, strange town. as far as classes go, they are decent, i'm in the midst of preparing for boards at the moment, and as many people will tell ya, your first two yrs are pretty much consistent no matter where u go. but pcom does have a slighty better 3/4 yr rotation schedule. in my opinion what really matters is acing the boards, and that is ultimately on your shoulders, not the schools. so you need to figure out whats more impt to you, being close to family/friends and living in a big city, or living in the armpit of the world but saving money :cool:

The way I see it, is that I'm going to have what seems to me now ... insurmountable debt.... when I'm finished. But I'm really happy at PCOM, and would definitely choose it over Erie. Of course, I've never been very good with money. But I'm also from Philly, and quite acustomed to the benefits of living in a city. PCOM students have a great reputation at clinical sites all over. There's no dress code. Lecture's are not mandatory (really important for someone who likes to learn independently).I don't really have other med schools to compare to, but most people aren't as uptight and competitive as I expected medical students to be. It's possible to have a life, and to have fun in med school. Just make sure you can have that wherever you end up, and you'll be fine. If you have any specific questions about PCOM, PM me.

I am currently an MSIII at PCOM. I absolutely love everything about PCOM when I compare it to LECOM.

I was accepted at LECOM and waitlisted at PCOM. I chose to go to LECOM and spent the week of orientation in Erie. I absolutely and emphatically hated Erie. I managed to lose about 12lbs. while I was there (that was in about 6-7days). I hated the town. I thought the school was run too strictly for my liking. Not to mention the distance from home and the idea that I was about to take on the biggest challenge of my life.

Needless to say by some divine miracle(and I am not being dramatic), I was accepted at PCOM during the orientation week here (a week later than LECOM's). I left Erie and the thousands of dollars I had already spent, to come to the school that I had wanted from the beginning - PCOM.

I do have complaints about PCOM...but who doesn't have a complaint or two about their respective school? All in all, and you'll hear this from many people in your career, the school is as good or as bad as the effort you put forth.

My advice.....take a good hard look at both schools. Make a pro and con list for each of the two schools. e.g. Will saving a ton of money at LECOM make med school that much better? Conversely,will being close to home at PCOM become a potential distraction?

It took me a few thousand dollars and a loss of a bunch of weight to realize that I wanted PCOM. It was a costly lesson to learn...but when I look back it was an invaluable lesson that has brought me to where I am today.

Any specific questions about PCOM, let me know.

Chisel
MS III.5
PCOM

DocGina said:
I'm trying to decide between PCOM and LECOM. PCOM has a well-tenured program, it's closer to my family, but it's big $$$. LECOM is cheaper, has the Problem Based Learning curriculum, however it's relatively new so it's not as reputable and it's over 6 hours away from my family.

I'm not basing my decision on this, but rather I am seeking additional insight from anyone who is knowledgable about the two schools. Your comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

My advice, all things being equal, go with the more established program.

The more alumni there are, and the more established the school is, the better chance you will have at getting the residency you want. Then again, I am pretty sure that high board scores well triumph over everything else.

Best wishes
maizevraptorm

LOL erie is one of the strangest places i've ever been in...the economy here is going to ****, people are weird, and just a lot of rednecks running around. if you're the type to be heavily influenced by your environment, then you should probably go to pcom. even the people in school tend to exude this air of weirdness. the administration is unreceptive, cold, and could care less if you fail. the only good thing about the school is the faculty, i'd say 90 percent of em are approachable and want u to do well. but it's not all bad, i mean i still manage to have fun, just not in erie, ie- i go to pitts, cleveland or toronto. the good thing is that since there is absolutely nothing to do in erie, it forces you to study. thats one reason i did not go to pcom, i live in nyc and it's too close to home, too much of a distraction, etc. two years go by quickly and you really do save a good chunk of change, if that is a priority to you, as it was for me. the point is that every school has its ups n downs, thats pretty evident on this board, not everyone is gonna be happy w/ their school. if you think you can bear it out living in erie for 2 yrs then go for it, if not you'll probably be happier at pcom

To all who responded-

Thank you for your help. I have decided to go to PCOM. Although I really liked a lot of things about LECOM, I am from NYC so I am accustomed to big city life. I have also talked to a few resident docs who have informed me that school reputation can add a competitive edge to your app for residency(of course not as much as excellent board scores do). Although students from both schools seem to love their programs, I feel that PCOM is definitely more established and I am hoping there will be fewer program bumps in the road. As I have heard, LECOM is still relatively new and things keep changing because they are not yet "right". On the financial side, I have completed a cost comparision and based on my numbers, it will be an approximate difference of $13K per year considering higher tuition and cost of living. In the long run, the additional $52K amortized over a 25-year period after consolidation makes a $220 monthly difference. Not unmanageable.