PCOM Living

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USArmyDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are you guys going about finding apartments? I am going this weekend and already have my eye set on a place. However, I want to see a variety. Would it be best to call the school and see if there is a real estate agent they would recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

USArmyDoc said:
How are you guys going about finding apartments? I am going this weekend and already have my eye set on a place. However, I want to see a variety. Would it be best to call the school and see if there is a real estate agent they would recommend?

;;;;

Jamers said:

Yea dude.....looks like I am pulling out on DMU. PCOM is closer to home (2 hour drive). However, the deciding factor was the proximity to the other medical schools in Philly. I like the fact that we do rotations through there.

Members don't see this ad :)
USArmyDoc said:
Yea dude.....looks like I am pulling out on DMU. PCOM is closer to home (2 hour drive). However, the deciding factor was the proximity to the other medical schools in Philly. I like the fact that we do rotations through there.

true,

if you want to see a variety try an online rental search engine (rentnet.com) for even better results try the philly newspaper for apts from owners adn craigslist.com , best wishes and see in you the fall :thumbup:

forrent.com
rentlist.com

A bunch of others. Just google "philadelphia apartments" or something similar.

I have been using the above to find places to live for the GA campus, but I think my wife and I may be leaning towards renting/buying a home instead.

USArmyDoc said:
along w/ that we also get many guest lecturers from the other schools....it creates a great environment for networking....

Taus said:
along w/ that we also get many guest lecturers from the other schools....it creates a great environment for networking....

Exactly.......can only be beneficial.

You can come live with me. ;)

USArmyDoc said:

It was a hard decision for me between PCOM and DMU; hell my family and all my friends live in PA. I really didn't mean to put that other post, I think I was tired (me, tired!!!). Good luck though. Watch where you live too, apparently there is an "expensive side" and a "cheaper side".

Jamers said:
It was a hard decision for me between PCOM and DMU; hell my family and all my friends live in PA. I really didn't mean to put that other post, I think I was tired (me, tired!!!). Good luck though. Watch where you live too, apparently there is an "expensive side" and a "cheaper side".

Well, I just got back from Philly and did some apartment searching. Since I have a dog, I was somewhat limited but found two places I really liked....The Greenbriar and The Lincoln Green. The Lincoln Green is cheaper rent wise but does not include utilities so it turns out to be around $100-$150 more a month than the Greenbriar. Sounds like a lot but they have a special now that you get your first month half price. So, if you crunch the numbers it turns out to be 250-500 dollars more expensive for the year. You get your own washer and dryer where in The Greenbriar you share one with your floor. In regards to quality, Lincoln Green rocks!!!Brand new awesome place. Plus, it is slightly closer to school and in a nicer area. Granted, they are both very close to school and in a nice area. I am splitting hairs here. Either way, I was happy with what I saw this weekend.

USArmyDoc said:
Well, I just got back from Philly and did some apartment searching. Since I have a dog, I was somewhat limited but found two places I really liked....The Brand new awesome place. Plus, it is slightly closer to school and in a nicer area. Granted, they are both very close to school and in a nice area. I am splitting hairs here. Either way, I was happy with what I saw this weekend.

I lived at lincoln green, I would stay away if I were you. Looks can be decieving.. the management is very shady, the walls are thin (you can hear all your neighbors), the insulation is horrible so during the winter your blasting your heat (heating and a/c bills are outrageous), and the apt they show you is not the one your getting. So the one you get can be older/unrenovated/bad location etc...

joedo said:
I lived at lincoln green, I would stay away if I were you. Looks can be decieving.. the management is very shady, the walls are thin (you can hear all your neighbors), the insulation is horrible so during the winter your blasting your heat (heating and a/c bills are outrageous), and the apt they show you is not the one your getting. So the one you get can be older/unrenovated/bad location etc...

Crap! I pulled some residents to the side there and they all claimed to have enjoyed living there. How much did the a/c and heating bills run? Damn, this just put a crink in my plans!!...lol....Thanks for the heads up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am looking into purchasing a place (by roxborough) any upper class people who purchased property can share their experience/advice? thanks

medhacker said:
I am looking into purchasing a place (by roxborough) any upper class people who purchased property can share their experience/advice? thanks

Med, where are you looking exactly? Having anything to share?

USArmyDoc said:
Med, where are you looking exactly? Having anything to share?

I will most likely GW purchase like a townhouse (anything else is way too expensive) . I read an old post from someone at PCOM who purchased a place too and was quite content. So I was happy others could comment if they purchased a place or plan to purchase a place. I am so far almost locked and loaded on Roxborough ~ 10 min from PCOM.

medhacker said:
I will most likely GW purchase like a townhouse (anything else is way too expensive) . I read an old post from someone at PCOM who purchased a place too and was quite content. So I was happy others could comment if they purchased a place or plan to purchase a place. I am so far almost locked and loaded on Roxborough ~ 10 min from PCOM.

Can I be your roommate? :laugh: :laugh:

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
Can I be your roommate? :laugh: :laugh:

LOL

I think my wife might refuse and my dog hates to share her doggy house :eek:

:thumbup: :laugh:
medhacker said:
LOL

I think my wife might refuse and my dog hates to share her doggy house :eek:

HAHAHAHA Tell your wife I make killer empanadas con arroz y habichuelas. I bet that will persuade her a little.

;)

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
:thumbup: :laugh:

HAHAHAHA Tell your wife I make killer empanadas con arroz y habichuelas. I bet that will persuade her a little.

;)

persuade her?? how does the basement sound? :love:

medhacker said:
persuade her?? how does the basement sound? :love:

haha i'll just get my apartment at Greenbriar Club...i'll still make the empanadas if you help me in Biochem. :laugh: :laugh:

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
haha i'll just get my apartment at Greenbriar Club...i'll still make the empanadas if you help me in Biochem. :laugh: :laugh:

Handshake,%20business%20deal,%20hands,%20meeting,%20greeting,%20contract,%20agreement,%20goodbye,%20P.Cox.jpg

I was reading the reviews on apartmentreview.com and man does Lincoln Green get some bad reviews. Honestly, I don't believe all that I read but since what the PCOM student above said was pretty much supported by the reviews I will not be renting there.

USArmyDoc said:
I was reading the reviews on apartmentreview.com and man does Lincoln Green get some bad reviews. Honestly, I don't believe all that I read but since what the PCOM student above said was pretty much supported by the reviews I will not be renting there.

Lincoln Green is a very nice apt, but there are so many 'cons' that dont make it appealing.

-No Utilities included
-square footage vs. rent is crazy....You could get a nicer apartment at Executive House WITH Utilities included
-small pools
-Leasing Office adminstrators who are wayyy to forceful.

Ok I thought I had more negatives. Stick with Greenbriar Club Apartments...get more for your money.

Hey USArmyDOC you check out Executive House? That place is niceee.

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
Lincoln Green is a very nice apt, but there are so many 'cons' that dont make it appealing.

-No Utilities included
-square footage vs. rent is crazy....You could get a nicer apartment at Executive House WITH Utilities included
-small pools
-Leasing Office adminstrators who are wayyy to forceful.

Ok I thought I had more negatives. Stick with Greenbriar Club Apartments...get more for your money.

Hey USArmyDOC you check out Executive House? That place is niceee.

I probably looked into the Executive House but did not take it into consideration because it probably doesn't allow dogs. I am going to check now and get right back to you. I like Greenbriar because it seems to be very dog friendly and is in a wooded area (grassy). Where will you be DO sigma?

Edit: Executive House is nice but doesn't allow dogs plus I don't like high rises. It is also a tad more expensive. I have a real estate agent searching for apartments for me this week. If that doesn't work out, Greenbriar will suit me just fine.

USArmyDoc said:
I probably looked into the Executive House but did not take it into consideration because it probably doesn't allow dogs. I am going to check now and get right back to you. I like Greenbriar because it seems to be very dog friendly and is in a wooded area (grassy). Where will you be DO sigma?

Edit: Executive House is nice but doesn't allow dogs plus I don't like high rises. It is also a tad more expensive. I have a real estate agent searching for apartments for me this week. If that doesn't work out, Greenbriar will suit me just fine.

Greenbriar is my number one choice. The bedrooms were a nice size and it is down the street from PCOM. I am traveling to Philly this weekend to look at some apartments in roxborough and manayunk to keep my options open.

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
Greenbriar is my number one choice. The bedrooms were a nice size and it is down the street from PCOM. I am traveling to Philly this weekend to look at some apartments in roxborough and manayunk to keep my options open.

Dude, if you can....let me know what happens and take pics so we can see.

USArmyDoc said:
Dude, if you can....let me know what happens and take pics so we can see.

No prob man..i'll bring a digital. I wish I did that last time I was up there....so now i'm relying on memory for the 10 apartments I looked at. :mad: :scared:

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
No prob man..i'll bring a digital. I wish I did that last time I was up there....so now i'm relying on memory for the 10 apartments I looked at. :mad: :scared:

You the man!

are there any other places you guys would suggest looking for housing around pcom? i accepted and am coming to pcom next year too ;)
does pcom help you find roomates too?

Hi all. First, congrats on getting into PCOM c/o 2010! I currently live in Fairmount Terrace Apartments, which is a block down the street from Greenbriar and Imperial. It's about a mile away from PCOM, if that. The apartments are pretty roomy and comfortable. The manager is crazy but living here is nice and quiet. I'm currently trying to get out of my lease, though, because I'm moving into a house in the city that my friend's dad bought. Management won't let me out of it unless I recommend this place to someone and they sign a lease. Studios go for $650 and 2 bedsrooms go for $925-995. Please let me know if you're interested, you could find a place to stay and do me a big favor at the same time.

p.s. dogs are allowed

I got an apartment at Imperial Towers... depending on what size room you want they range from $700 - $1150, all utilities included, 24hr security, walking distance from PCOM...

My roommate and I are moving out of our townhome in July. It is 2BR townhome w/ garage that is 4 blocks from school in a nice neighborhood for $850 month. We have lived there for our first two years of school and have been very happy with it. PM me if interested.

USArmy Doc,
What size dog do you have? I also have a dog (~50 lbs). I am moving from Minnesota & to say the least it has been difficult searching for places from so far away. Do you happen to have a list of places that do allow dogs? Also, are you looking for a roomate?