PCOM Open House

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
PCOM wil be hosting an open house on Saturday April 28th.

This is an event for potential DO candidates.

http://www.pcom.edu/Admissions/adm_Upcoming_Events/adm_upcoming_events.html

I will be on campus that day doing some research and will make every attempt to stop by and meet some of you. Or rather, give you the pleasure of meeting me! :laugh: ;)

Members don't see this ad.

PCOM wil be hosting an open house on Saturday April 28th.

This is an event for potential DO candidates.

http://www.pcom.edu/Admissions/adm_Upcoming_Events/adm_upcoming_events.html

I will be on campus that day doing some research and will make every attempt to stop by and meet some of you. Or rather, give you the pleasure of meeting me! :laugh: ;)

I'm currently waitlisted at PCOM. Would it be beneficial to come up and talk to some people? I'm not exactly close by, but if it will help get me off the waitlist, I'll make time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cool JP, I'll look for you, you always have decent things to say around here.
It's ashame my friend Nicole wont be around, I'd introduce you.
You in SOMA? She's VP. She's my girlfriend's best friend, we're going out tomorrow night. Really cool girl.
I'm anxious to check PCOM out first hand.

Xan

Cool JP, I'll look for you, you always have decent things to say around here.
It's ashame my friend Nicole wont be around, I'd introduce you.
You in SOMA? She's VP. She's my girlfriend's best friend, we're going out tomorrow night. Really cool girl.
I'm anxious to check PCOM out first hand.

Xan

We will be glad to have you.

I will likely be in scrubs so that will tip you off.

I am going to bump this thread because I think JP might have forgotten to respond to sick's post?

I am going to guess that it is a good idea for you to come. People are always saying you want to keep reminding the adcom that you really want to be a member of the school. What better way than hanging out with them at an open house and showing your support for the school and its program.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of this event will help you though.

Can't make the one on 4/28 unfortunatly. Although I do live in Philly so I am hoping to do a visit.

I am going to bump this thread because I think JP might have forgotten to respond to sick's post?

I am going to guess that it is a good idea for you to come. People are always saying you want to keep reminding the adcom that you really want to be a member of the school. What better way than hanging out with them at an open house and showing your support for the school and its program.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of this event will help you though.

I didnt forget

I agree. Showing up couldnt hurt.

Im waiting for the next great Osteopathic Savior to come along here at SDN. Im going to be moving on soon...

I didnt forget

I agree. Showing up couldnt hurt.

Im waiting for the next great Osteopathic Savior to come along here at SDN. Im going to be moving on soon...

Thanks for the response.

I'm just trying to do whatever is possible to get off the waitlist. I don't even know if it's going to help, because after talking with some admissions people, it seems like it's a 50/50 chance the waitlist will move. They said that last year it moved a lot, but the year before it hardly moved.

I don't understand why some schools rank and some don't. Obviously it's smarter to have an unranked waitlist, because then they don't have to explain themselves... I'll just have to hope a bunch of white guys decide to drop out of the waitlist....

The Open House was excellent. Deborah Benvenger and Marsha Williams fielded questions after the event. Everyone was just amazing. For example, Mrs. Williams and others stayed two hours after the official end time of 1pm. Lots of tips and just great advice from Admissions and students. Jessica Masser gave a demo on OMM that would knock your socks off! I didn't want to leave! Wish I had known about it last year.:thumbup:

The Open House was excellent. Deborah Benvenger and Marsha Williams fielded questions after the event. Everyone was just amazing. For example, Mrs. Williams and others stayed two hours after the official end time of 1pm. Lots of tips and just great advice from Admissions and students. Jessica Masser gave a demo on OMM that would knock your socks off! I didn't want to leave! Wish I had known about it last year.:thumbup:

Jess is awesome. I taught her everything she knows. ;)

Jess is awesome. I taught her everything she knows. ;)

I have some frank questions for you that I have been wondering about for some time. How did you go about learning a great deal of OMM -- I'm sure learning OMM in the classroom does not make someone an expert? I notice you frequently post about having patients come in and have you perform OMM on them. How were you able to set that up, as well?

I have some frank questions for you that I have been wondering about for some time. How did you go about learning a great deal of OMM -- I'm sure learning OMM in the classroom does not make someone an expert? I notice you frequently post about having patients come in and have you perform OMM on them. How were you able to set that up, as well?

I am a Predoctoral OMM Fellow. I am spending an extra year in medical school learning solely OMM. I have office hours & patient responsibilities, research time and taching responsibilities. PCOM and a few other DO schools offer the fellowship. Its become quite competitive at PCOM the last few years.

Learning OMM in the classroom gives you the building blocks necessary to become great at OMM without any additional FORMAL training. But like anything else you need to read, practice and use it regularly to become great.

You can graduate PCOM knowing everything there is to know about Cardiology or Surgery...you need to continue to develop your knowledge base and skill in practice. This starts with 3rd year rotations. I have had several students go into 3rd year with a decent skill level in OMT and come back for their OMM rotation looking like they were an OMM Fellow. They practiced, used it on patients at every opportunity and developed their skills. I have seen other come back to campus with no abilty to do anything at all. They didnt bother to use OMT.

Personally OMT has become important in developing my manual dexterity and hand eye coordination, not to mention my diagnostic abilities. I feel confident in my palpatory skills for just about anything. And just as I will sit with suture material and tie knots for a half hour per night, I treat my friends, family and patients on rotations every chance I get.

That has resulted in me, a senior medical student, developing a 2 month waiting list for patients. Same with the other senior fellows.

Too many patients and not enough people doing OMM. Either because they dont take the time to learn it in the first place or they never kept up their skills. For some its just another class.

I am a Predoctoral OMM Fellow. I am spending an extra year in medical school learning solely OMM. I have office hours & patient responsibilities, research time and taching responsibilities. PCOM and a few other DO schools offer the fellowship. Its become quite competitive at PCOM the last few years.

Learning OMM in the classroom gives you the building blocks necessary to become great at OMM without any additional FORMAL training. But like anything else you need to read, practice and use it regularly to become great.

You can graduate PCOM knowing everything there is to know about Cardiology or Surgery...you need to continue to develop your knowledge base and skill in practice. This starts with 3rd year rotations. I have had several students go into 3rd year with a decent skill level in OMT and come back for their OMM rotation looking like they were an OMM Fellow. They practiced, used it on patients at every opportunity and developed their skills. I have seen other come back to campus with no abilty to do anything at all. They didnt bother to use OMT.

Personally OMT has become important in developing my manual dexterity and hand eye coordination, not to mention my diagnostic abilities. I feel confident in my palpatory skills for just about anything. And just as I will sit with suture material and tie knots for a half hour per night, I treat my friends, family and patients on rotations every chance I get.

That has resulted in me, a senior medical student, developing a 2 month waiting list for patients. Same with the other senior fellows.

Too many patients and not enough people doing OMM. Either because they dont take the time to learn it in the first place or they never kept up their skills. For some its just another class.

Thank you.

Have there been students who pursue a pre-doctoral fellowship in OMM at medical schools outside their own?

Thank you.

Have there been students who pursue a pre-doctoral fellowship in OMM at medical schools outside their own?

In order to complete the predoctoral fellowship you must be a student at that school. There are significant tuition and other stipend benefits so an outside student likely wouldnt qualify.

Post graduate DOs can do an OMM residency (2 years) or a "+1 year" which is an additional year of OMM training AFTER your other residency which will allow you to sit and become OMM board certified.

In order to complete the predoctoral fellowship you must be a student at that school. There are significant tuition and other stipend benefits so an outside student likely wouldnt qualify.

Post graduate DOs can do an OMM residency (2 years) or a "+1 year" which is an additional year of OMM training AFTER your other residency which will allow you to sit and become OMM board certified.

If one pursues an allopathic residency program (in addition, is not dual-accredited -- yes, getting ahead of myself on purpose), then is a DO able to still come back and do an additional year of OMM training? If not, if a DO wishes to pursue an OMM fellowship (if one exists), is it still possible to do so despite coming from an allopathic residency program?

If one pursues an allopathic residency program (in addition, is not dual-accredited -- yes, getting ahead of myself on purpose), then is a DO able to still come back and do an additional year of OMM training? If not, if a DO wishes to pursue an OMM fellowship (if one exists), is it still possible to do so despite coming from an allopathic residency program?

A "+1 year" is a equivalent to a postgraduate "OMM Fellowship". Its just one year of training. Same thing.

I dont know of an official stand on the +1 year, but I have known people to attend allopathic residencies (usually primary care) and then come back to complete a +1 year in OMM. These people did, however, complete the AOA internship requirement. I dont know what will change, if anything, in the future.

From my experience the +1 year at some places can be very difficult to get. There are only a few spots every year and these are often given to those who have shown advanced interest in the program. In fact, some +1 years dont have official funding but can creating funding on a prn basis for qualified applicants.

Many people who take the time to complete a +1 year are fast-tracked into academic positions with clinical responsibilities or they are highly recruited for academic spots along with their private practice (best of both worlds)

A "+1 year" is a equivalent to a postgraduate "OMM Fellowship". Its just one year of training. Same thing.

I dont know of an official stand on the +1 year, but I have known people to attend allopathic residencies (usually primary care) and then come back to complete a +1 year in OMM. These people did, however, complete the AOA internship requirement. I dont know what will change, if anything, in the future.

From my experience the +1 year at some places can be very difficult to get. There are only a few spots every year and these are often given to those who have shown advanced interest in the program. In fact, some +1 years dont have official funding but can creating funding on a prn basis for qualified applicants.

Many people who take the time to complete a +1 year are fast-tracked into academic positions with clinical responsibilities or they are highly recruited for academic spots along with their private practice (best of both worlds)

Great information. Thank you for providing the specifics. :thumbup: