PCOM or LECOM? Your Suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
raspberry swirl said:
ACKKK!!! why are people always hatin on my school??? when it came time for me to chose a school, my choice was also between PCOM and LECOM. call me crazy, even though i liked PCOM, i chose LECOM. and i dont regret it for a second.

im LDP and im supposed to go to class but i rarely do, i can't wear pajamas to class so instead i wear khakis and a hoodie (wow what a strict dress code), and i have to smuggle a water bottle into class in the sleeve of my jacket. but i dont really care about that stuff. that stuff is not important. people whine about the admin, but take it from me (someone on student government who has worked with the admin on more than one issue), the ferrettis may be crazy but they 100% HAVE THE STUDENTS' BEST INTEREST IN MIND. im not gonna lie, they're a bunch of weirdos, and yes, they are strict on random things that to us make no sense, but when it comes to the important stuff, namely, uh, YOUR EDUCATION, you will not find LECOM lacking any more so than any other school (notice i didn't say it was perfect, its not, but neither is YOUR school, wherever you may go.) for some reason, when the admin does something students dont like, they forget about the 50 things the admin does that is good. whats up with that? i can say from experience that any student who has run into trouble with the administration has usually either a.)done something really stupid to embarrass themselves or the school or b.)tried to make a big deal out of something totally not important (ie dress code), and you're right, when it comes to stuff like that, the admin wont budge. i've seen dr silvia (the dean) rip people a new a$$hole more than once- she may be 4 ft tall and look like harry potter, but that lady doesn't mess around. and the students she laid into totally deserved it. i know male students who have left her office holding back tears.

LECOM students do well on boards (all pathways, on all levels), and land good residencies in competetive programs. we have good rotation sites in big cities in big hospitals, the chance to set your rotations up anywhere you please (including hawaii), and tons of electives and selectives (i think the most out of any other school). not to mention we have THE CHEAPEST tuition, which will be nice when you are a poor overworked resident trying to pay back loans. and you people are whining about LECOM only having ONE BUILDING?? who cares! so when it comes to chosing a school, dont come here if you're hung up on the minor details that have no impact on your education. but if you're like me, and can actually see the big picture, you'll be happy at LECOM.

to the OP- dont listen to these haters! when it comes to chosing a school, you can only go with your gut. no one's experience will be yours. i love LECOM, i chose it over PCOM, im happy. PM me if you have specific questions!

I have just one question. When I interviewed at LECOM (and immediately following it, when I got acceptance letter), I tried talking to different poeple in admin and adcom and they flat out refused to provide any information about residency match list. All other schools have provided this listing even w/o asking. It was one of the reasons I didn't pick LECOM. I wished they would provide this information readily for students to evaluate their choice objectively.

Members don't see this ad.

For some odd reason Lecom does not provide a match list. However if you do a search on this forum you will find one. I don't understand why Lecom does not provide this information, one would think that perhaps they were hiding something, however after now attending the school and talking to former students, lecom students have matched into many highly competitive residency spots.

Well why LECOM does not provide a match list? This I am not really sure, but here is my best guess..........

First off, in my class, there is an enoumous amount of military scholarships. These students technically do not match.

Second, I don't know about you all, but in my class at LECOM, I do know a few people that have signed contract outside of the match, both for ACGME and AOA program, so technically speaking, they did not match either.

Lastly, what is on the match list the other schools have provided? Do they provide info only about students that have matched at AOA residencies? If this is the case, then again, LECOM does have quite a few students that persue ACGME programs.

So to sum it up, if you start with the approx 170 people in my class, subtract those out that are military, subtract out those that signed outside the match, and then subtract out those that matched into an ACGME program, well, there would hardly be a match list left over to see!!!

Or maybe LECOM just for whatever reason doesn't compile the results of their match??

Members don't see this ad :)
No, it's not for any of the reasons listed above. Who knows why they don't. But guess what - PCOM doesn't release one either. Or MSUCOM, DMU, or KCUMB.

raspberry swirl said:
ACKKK!!! why are people always hatin on my school??? when it came time for me to chose a school, my choice was also between PCOM and LECOM. call me crazy, even though i liked PCOM, i chose LECOM. and i dont regret it for a second.

Then why does LECOM have such difficulty filling its class? Why is it the ONLY school of DO medicine in the country that keeps Extending its application deadline? If LECOM was such well reputed, that would not be the case. Also, LECOM is the ONLY school where I met NEITHER the Director NOR the Dean of admissions on interview day. Where were they?
The lady telling us about the school was actually a girlfriend of a student there. She inderectly said to us that almost all of us would be accepted and asked to send in $1500 so make sure to have that in your account since we don't take credit cards, and it wasn't until one of the students questioned about a waitlist that she said "Oh yeah we do also have a waitlist".

LECOM also has one of the highest acceptance deposits ($1500) of any DO school in the country... which just goes to sure how DESPERATE they are to force accepted students to go there.
Any other DO school is better than LECOM. :thumbdown:

Tams said:
Then why does LECOM have such difficulty filling its class? Why is it the ONLY school of DO medicine in the country that keeps Extending its application deadline? If LECOM was such well reputed, that would not be the case. Also, LECOM is the ONLY school where I met NEITHER the Director NOR the Dean of admissions on interview day. Where were they?
The lady telling us about the school was actually a girlfriend of a student there. She inderectly said to us that almost all of us would be accepted and asked to send in $1500 so make sure to have that in your account since we don't take credit cards, and it wasn't until one of the students questioned about a waitlist that she said "Oh yeah we do also have a waitlist".

LECOM also has one of the highest acceptance deposits ($1500) of any DO school in the country... which just goes to sure how DESPERATE they are to force accepted students to go there.
Oh no we have another @$$ whole with 0 post talking $hitt!! Who wants to meet the freakin dean anyway are they going to teach you? No. Also the girl telling you about the school is the wife of a student there and has been hired as a PR rep! Wow what a concept! Your a freakin idiot and dont know your @$$ from a hole in the ground. It amazes me that other D.O. schools are still interviewing for positions. Get it straight or get off rookie.

to add to allendo's comments:

LECOM's $1500 deposit is not the highest. there was a post about this a while ago and i think it WVCOM had a $2000. don't quote me on the price or the school though. all i know is that there are other DO schools that ask for a hefty deposit...not just LECOM. also, the high deposit is not to FORCE students to go there. it's so people don't hold up a spot that they never intend on filling. there are plenty of students that will use an acceptance at a DO school just to guarantee something while they wait to hear back from their first choice (either DO or MD school).

Tams-
Can I just ask - what is your beef with LECOM? :confused:

Tams said:

What an idiot.
The acceptance deposit has the opposite effect on getting students to commit. Asking $1500 FORCES students to commit? Seems to me it discourages...

If LECOM is SOOOO desperate, and it is the worst DO school in the country, and it will admit anyone who has a pulse, then can you tell me why there is a "Re-Applicant" section on SDN?

IF LECOM was really that easy to get into, there wouldn't be any reapplicants, they would all be going to LECOM! But the fact is that there are people who don't make it into medical school for whatever reason (low grades, family problems, a traumatic event)!!!

I am at LECOM right now. Don't be hating on the "girlfriend of the student" who told you about the school. She works in the admissions office and has been doing so for several years. If you spent the time to talk to her you would have found out that she can be a really good source of information. Kind of like a bridge between faculty and students.

This post is going down the pooper awfully fast. Their is obviously a person who was not accepted to the school, trying to justify to their ego, that they did not want to attend the school. Look, the best way to find out about a school is to ask the students. Lecom-Bradenton students will tell you, they love the school, they love the faculty, and the student body is like a family. Lecom-Bradenton is going to be one of the best osteopathic schools in the nation!

DreamJob said:
This post is going down the pooper awfully fast. Their is obviously a person who was not accepted to the school, trying to justify to their ego, that they did not want to attend the school. Look, the best way to find out about a school is to ask the students. Lecom-Bradenton students will tell you, they love the school, they love the faculty, and the student body is like a family. Lecom-Bradenton is going to be one of the best osteopathic schools in the nation!

DreamJob, I was actually accepted to LECOM but I have trouble understandting why that school is run the way it is like a military academy/concentration camp. I REALLY hope to get in anywhere BUT LECOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tams said:
DreamJob, I was actually accepted to LECOM but I have trouble understandting why that school is run the way it is like a military academy/concentration camp. I REALLY hope to get in anywhere BUT LECOM.

I go there, and NO its not. I hear horror stories about other schools and we have none. I just got back from class, it was actually enjoyable today. Not to mention it is 75 degrees outside with a slight breeze. I think if I can break the iron shackles Lecom has placed on me, I just might go to the beach for the day. See ya!

DreamJob said:
I go there, and NO its not. I hear horror stories about other schools and we have none. I just got back from class, it was actually enjoyable today. Not to mention it is 75 degrees outside with a slight breeze. I think if I can break the iron shackles Lecom has placed on me, I just might go to the beach for the day. See ya!

Then can someone please tell me why LECOM treats its students like high schoolers? Why is it run like a military academy? They know they are a backup school .... just look at their $1500 deposit!

Tams said:
Then can someone please tell me why LECOM treats its students like high schoolers? Why is it run like a military academy? They know they are a backup school .... just look at their $1500 deposit!

i go to lecom as well, and im perfectly happy. my day today was pretty swell also. our psych test was freaking easy and i was done for the day at 10 30 am. the only people who get treated like high schoolers here are the people that act like high schoolers. . . and they deserve whatever they've got coming to them, usually. and its not run like a military academy either . . . i can't ever figure out why people say crap like this. who the heck do you all talk to?? its like the one disgruntled person who had a bad experience has gotten into every pre-med's head. there are 230 students in my class. have you talked to the majority of them? i would think your take on the school would be entirely different if you had.

listen to raspberry swirl...she seems to be the only person that knows anything about lecom...all these other people like bcruize and tams are absolute idiots...if i actually cared i'd prove all their ridiculous claims wrong but i don't...lecom is as good as any other med school and if you don't like it fine, but don't go around making shi* up like half our grads have lost their licenses...come on now

I will attend LECOM in the fall and I found the school to be clean, friendly, and state of the art. Living in PA, or if I was living anywhere else, LECOM offers a very affordable tuition for quality education. How do I know? A friend of mine graduated from LECOM last year and got a radiation oncology residency in philly, one of the tougher residencies available to MD or DOs.

Viper RT/10 said:
listen to raspberry swirl...she seems to be the only person that knows anything about lecom...all these other people like bcruize and tams are absolute idiots...if i actually cared i'd prove all their ridiculous claims wrong but i don't...lecom is as good as any other med school and if you don't like it fine, but don't go around making shi* up like half our grads have lost their licenses...come on now

You are right, there are so many claims about LECOM that seem ridiculous. Over the past two years in my clinical phase as an MS-3 and MS-4, I have heard it all. I have heard all of these things from people that are not LECOMers but people from other schools, and even respectable attendings that graduated from other DO schools as well.

Now, do I believe everything I hear? No, the first rule you all must learn is to NEVER believe everything that you hear.

But I do ask you this much-----

How did our school, LECOM, get such a bum rap? What did they do to make everybody start all of these bad stories within the osteopathic community?

Tams said:

PCOM is now a 2250 dollar deposit so dont use that arguement

JonnyG said:
PCOM is now a 2250 dollar deposit so dont use that arguement
The Deposit at PCOM is Still ONLY $250, NOT $2250!

Tams said:
The Deposit at PCOM is Still ONLY $250, NOT $2250!

Yeah, maybe he means the $2000 that's due May 15 + the original $250 = $2250. But the final $2000 is just that - a final deposit. LECOM is $1500 right off the bat.

annh31 said:
Yeah, maybe he means the $2000 that's due May 15 + the original $250 = $2250. But the final $2000 is just that - a final deposit. LECOM is $1500 right off the bat.

Alright guys i am a little lost... where does it say on PCOM's website that they require a $2000 deposit by May 15th? I haven't been able to find that anywhere. I am only able to find this on their site:

Accepted applicants are asked to send a $250 non-refundable tuition prepayment according to the following schedule:

- those accepted prior to November 15 will have until December 14
- those accepted between November 15 and January 14 will have 30 days
- those accepted between January 14 and June 14 will have 14 days
- those accepted on or after June 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit.

There is no mention of a $2000 deposit.

Yeah, PCOM totally sprang this whole $2000 thing on us after we paid our $250 depsosit. Personally I think it was pretty sneaky and it makes me a little nervous about just how much I can trust them. I mean, what else are they going to spring on me in the future?

newyorkcougar said:
Yeah, PCOM totally sprang this whole $2000 thing on us after we paid our $250 depsosit. Personally I think it was pretty sneaky and it makes me a little nervous about just how much I can trust them. I mean, what else are they going to spring on me in the future?

We were told about it at the interview in GA. However, I have not been sent the bill yet :rolleyes:

The 2000 is a new seat deposit this year, but they conveniently accept all major credit cards :p I was annoyed by the total surprise of the deposit, but it counts towards tuition that you have to pay anyway.

Yeah but that's A LOT of money to put down if you're on a waiting list for another school. Oh well, that's the name of the game I guess.

mrm1682 said:
to add to allendo's comments:

LECOM's $1500 deposit is not the highest. there was a post about this a while ago and i think it WVCOM had a $2000. don't quote me on the price or the school though. all i know is that there are other DO schools that ask for a hefty deposit...not just LECOM. also, the high deposit is not to FORCE students to go there. it's so people don't hold up a spot that they never intend on filling. there are plenty of students that will use an acceptance at a DO school just to guarantee something while they wait to hear back from their first choice (either DO or MD school).

Great post :thumbup:

Tams said:
Alright guys i am a little lost... where does it say on PCOM's website that they require a $2000 deposit by May 15th? I haven't been able to find that anywhere. I am only able to find this on their site:

Accepted applicants are asked to send a $250 non-refundable tuition prepayment according to the following schedule:

- those accepted prior to November 15 will have until December 14
- those accepted between November 15 and January 14 will have 30 days
- those accepted between January 14 and June 14 will have 14 days
- those accepted on or after June 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit.

There is no mention of a $2000 deposit.

This guy is in Chiropractic school. Why are we listening to his arguments about Medical Schools! HA