PCOM-PA vs AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neur-out-of-my-mind

Reaction score
Hi all, I need help deciding between these two schools. I've listed pros and cons and summarized my overall thoughts at the bottom. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

AZCOM
Pros:
  • Dissection Based Lab.
  • Good looking residency match list.
  • Beautiful place to live, very outdoorsy.
Cons:
  • "Lots of exams."
  • No hospital.
  • Far From Home (I live on east coast).
  • Quarter system? Not a con necessarily, just new to me.
  • $498,000 CoA????
PCOM-PA
Pros:
  • Closer to home (2 and half hours away)
  • Has a hospital
  • I'd know people
  • Cheaper ($371,000)
  • Good match list with more neuro matches (specialty I'm interested in)
Cons:
  • Big city
  • Simulation based anatomy labs? Idk it was kinda unclear to me whether they had cadavers. It mostly looked like that had giant screens with pictures of people on them.
Summary:
PCOM is cheaper and closer to home, but lacks the beautiful landscape. I don't think the landscape justifies spending upwards of $500,000, but they have some pretty competitive matches and I'd like to keep my options open. I liked both schools when learning about them, but really am not too sure what I should be looking at when deciding which school to attend. Neither are pass fail. Rereading my post and I feel like I'm leaning towards PCOM. Which would yall choose?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a current M1 at PCOM. I can confirm that we have cadavers for our anatomy labs. And now I'll insert my obligatory vote of choosing PCOM over AZCOM 😅

PCOM, no question. AZCOM’s tuition is almost criminal. Plus, PCOM has a better reputation, a home hospital, in-house residency programs, and it’s near your support system? This is pretty straightforward imo.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
PCOM, no question. AZCOM’s tuition is almost criminal. Plus, PCOM has a better reputation, a home hospital, in-house residency programs, and it’s near your support system? This is pretty straightforward imo.
Thank you, I just needed to hear this from someone other than myself to know that I was making the right call.