PCOM Georgia vs WVSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lemonhead123

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for any insights on which school to pick between PCOM Georgia and WVSOM. I am not sure which school to attend so I would really appreciate people's opinions/advice!

PCOM GA
Pros
  • Private, not- for-profit
  • Non mandatory attendance
  • PCOM affiliated residencies (Are PCOM GA students considered for Philly residencies?)
  • Rotation sites in both FL and GA
  • Less hectic exam schedule? (need to ask current students)
  • Location: More suburban. Near metro ATL. Cheaper flights from home.
  • Access to stores and restaurants (Costco, Chipotle, etc)
  • Direct flights to ATL Airport

Cons
  • Board pass rates---91% in 2021-2022 to 85.92% in 2022-2023?
  • Quality of rotations? (need to ask current students)
  • Lack of windows in campus building?

WVSOM
Pros
  • Established, older state school
  • Non mandatory attendance
  • 1 week off between blocks
  • Golden weekends (Friday exams, weekends off)
  • Strong match

Cons
  • Rural
  • No Uber/public transportation
  • Minimal direct flights
  • 3rd year rotation sites in WV

Summary: I am super grateful to have acceptances at these schools, and I'm happy that I have choices. I am OOS for both schools. WVSOM was my only option until I received an acceptance from PCOM GA. I understand that WVSOM is a state school, but I do not want to rule out PCOM GA because it would be easier for me to visit my family in IL during breaks because of direct flights to and from Atlanta.

Ultimately I just want the best education and the best opportunity to succeed in medical school. Any insights as to what school would be the best choice would be really appreciated.

@Goro @Faha @chilly_md, I would appreciate any feedback, as you have helped me with my school list in the past!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go with WVSOM.

Board pass rates are more on the student than the school
Yeah, go with WVSOM.
That makes sense about board pass rates. Tuition aside, is proximity to family/support system something I should consider though? My sister is an individual with disabilities. My parents are aging. I also have some family and friends in Georgia. If I need to take a flight back home, it will be significantly cheaper/easier from GA compared to West Virginia ($300-600). I’m trying to consider these factors too. I know teaching won’t matter much in a rural vs urban environment.

That makes sense about board pass rates. Tuition aside, is proximity to family/support system something I should consider though? My sister is an individual with disabilities. My parents are aging. I also have some family and friends in Georgia. If I need to take a flight back home, it will be significantly cheaper/easier from GA compared to West Virginia ($300-600). I’m trying to consider these factors too. I know teaching won’t matter much in a rural vs urban environment.
You will want to see how PCOM GA's academic calendar is. You likely will not be able to fly home often if longer breaks are limited to Thanksgiving and Christmas. Maybe a 3-day weekend if it works out during the pre-clinical years.

You will want to see how PCOM GA's academic calendar is. You likely will not be able to fly home often if longer breaks are limited to Thanksgiving and Christmas. Maybe a 3-day weekend if it works out during the pre-clinical years.
Thank you, I will check this!

PCOM GA, not South Georgia, right? Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO) Program Data | PCOM Georgia

WVSOM will definitely have you focus on their community, and the community feel is very close (so you either like it or you won't). I'm fairly certain if something were to happen that requires you to be with your family, their admins and faculty are very accommodating (from an n=1 knowledge) as long as you tell them and work with them ahead of time. That's not to say I don't believe PCOM GA's team is any less accommodating, but I think you will find WVSOM's admins to care a lot too.

PCOM GA, not South Georgia, right? Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO) Program Data | PCOM Georgia

WVSOM will definitely have you focus on their community, and the community feel is very close (so you either like it or you won't). I'm fairly certain if something were to happen that requires you to be with your family, their admins and faculty are very accommodating (from an n=1 knowledge) as long as you tell them and work with them ahead of time. That's not to say I don't believe PCOM GA's team is any less accommodating, but I think you will find WVSOM's admins to care a lot too.
Yes, PCOM Georgia, not South Georgia. It's becoming increasingly difficult for me to choose between WVSOM and PCOM Georgia. I feel like each of the schools have their own unique aspects that are making it tough to pick one. I am starting to have a preference towards being in a more urban location like the one I'm familiar with but I don't know what to do.