-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
PCOM (Philadelphia) Discussion Thread 2009-2010
Started by slamindesi
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I'm working on my PCOM secondary and I have a couple things that I will be doing soon that I want to talk about but they aren't really covered in the questions on the secondary. Would it be weird/tacky/unacceptable to include a very short letter to the Adcom with my secondary?
For example, I'm going to be taking a graduate level biochem class this fall but it wasn't included on my original app and it doesn't fall under either of the secondary questions for PCOM How could I sneak it in?
Thanks!!!
For example, I'm going to be taking a graduate level biochem class this fall but it wasn't included on my original app and it doesn't fall under either of the secondary questions for PCOM How could I sneak it in?
Thanks!!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm working on my PCOM secondary and I have a couple things that I will be doing soon that I want to talk about but they aren't really covered in the questions on the secondary. Would it be weird/tacky/unacceptable to include a very short letter to the Adcom with my secondary?
For example, I'm going to be taking a graduate level biochem class this fall but it wasn't included on my original app and it doesn't fall under either of the secondary questions for PCOM How could I sneak it in?
Thanks!!!
I'd call the admissions office and ask them how best to go about it. They are used to questions like this and will give you a better answer than you will find on this board.
you guys think it will be ok to include a CV or resume for the clinical experience part of the secondary? i think mine summarizes my experiences very well.
see above.
Still NO ONE else has heard anything?? Strange.....
I got an interview email 8/28 for September 21st. I was complete about a month before that.
may 28 MCAT 28P
3.3 c, 3.6sci (4.0) post bacc.
I passed by the admissions office today and saw ~4 to 5 people getting interviews at the admission office. I wonder if they were D.O. applicants. It's possible that they were interviewing students for another program though.
First day of interviews is the 21st
First day of interviews is the 21st
I'll see you in the fish tank on the 21st.
I have a dispute with my letters of recommendation. I don't have a pre-med committee. Has anyone talked to dean or admissions, and got them to accept letters from faculty instead of a academic advisor or dean? This is the only school I have come across that has this policy, and I already have my LOR's uploaded from EVERY other school I am applying too.
The letter you mention is a form letter saying you're in good standing at your University. Its not heartfelt, but a formality. If you want to be considered, you need it. If not, they'll choose from one of the 9000 other applications. Get the letter, don't ask "what if" in the future.
Send both?Hello 🙂
If anyone has a moment, your opinion will be well appreciated. What do you think is better to send PCOM?
OR
- A letter from an MD primary care physician that has known me for a few years from working at the hospital and allowed me to shadow him a couple days.
- A letter from a DO who I don't see very often at all but happens to be the Director of Emergency Medicine and allowed me to shadow him for 10 hours one day. I don't know if it matters, but it is a university hopital and the region's trauma center.
I sent 8. Granted, 6 of them were compiled to form my committee letter.
Hey all...relax...you'll do fine. Get your apps in as soon as you can. We'll see you in a few weeks/months. 🙂
Sorry if this has been answered already.
Can we use the same essay answers on the Georgia-PCOM secondary app. as the Philadelphia PCOM secondary app?
Can someone answer this please?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can someone answer this please?
Yes you can. I sure did.
Yes you can. I sure did.
Would the same reasons that I used for why I applied to Philadelphia - PCOM apply to Georgia - PCOM as well?
In other words do they have the same philosophy of addressing healthcare disparities and underserved populations? I would assume they are the same school....
Well, you're going to have to look at that. Location obviously isn't going to work.Would the same reasons that I used for why I applied to Philadelphia - PCOM apply to Georgia - PCOM as well?
In other words do they have the same philosophy of addressing healthcare disparities and underserved populations?
Well, you're going to have to look at that. Location obviously isn't going to work.
Where do they have information on the Georgia Campus specifically? I checked the website and it has very, very little information.
I'm not sure... I didn't apply to the GA campus.
There were some questions earlier about getting a Dean's/Advisor letter, but I would call to see if you need one. I just spoke to PCOM and they said I did not have to turn in a Dean's letter because the University of Ca, Irvine (no premed comitte), had a committee that compiled LORs in a packet and I guess that is okay.
There were some questions earlier about getting a Dean's/Advisor letter, but I would call to see if you need one. I just spoke to PCOM and they said I did not have to turn in a Dean's letter because the University of Ca, Irvine (no premed comitte), had a committee that compiled LORs in a packet and I guess that is okay.
I went to UCSD. I think u meant career service center compiled your LORs right?
At UCI, in the biological sciences department, we have our own separate letter service (compile letters) for students that are applying to Med (MD, DO), Dental, Pharm, and Opt. Nursing is not included I think.
UCI also has a career center that compiles letters for all other grad school/purposes. I don't know anything about the career center since I used the Bio Sci One.
The person on the phone said that I did not have to get a dean's letter because at our Bio Sci office, we have an advisor (also a regular counselor) that is in charge of compiling the letters. She doesn't really do anything besides make a cover sheet, puts the letters together/checks them and sends them out, so I was surprised that a Dean's letter wasn't necessary.
I would call PCOM to make sure you need to get a Dean's letter to save yourself the week wait to get a Deans/Advisor letter.
UCI also has a career center that compiles letters for all other grad school/purposes. I don't know anything about the career center since I used the Bio Sci One.
The person on the phone said that I did not have to get a dean's letter because at our Bio Sci office, we have an advisor (also a regular counselor) that is in charge of compiling the letters. She doesn't really do anything besides make a cover sheet, puts the letters together/checks them and sends them out, so I was surprised that a Dean's letter wasn't necessary.
I would call PCOM to make sure you need to get a Dean's letter to save yourself the week wait to get a Deans/Advisor letter.
At UCI, in the biological sciences department, we have our own separate letter service (compile letters) for students that are applying to Med (MD, DO), Dental, Pharm, and Opt. Nursing is not included I think.
UCI also has a career center that compiles letters for all other grad school/purposes. I don't know anything about the career center since I used the Bio Sci One.
The person on the phone said that I did not have to get a dean's letter because at our Bio Sci office, we have an advisor (also a regular counselor) that is in charge of compiling the letters. She doesn't really do anything besides make a cover sheet, puts the letters together/checks them and sends them out, so I was surprised that a Dean's letter wasn't necessary.
I would call PCOM to make sure you need to get a Dean's letter to save yourself the week wait to get a Deans/Advisor letter.
Well. Your Bio Sci LOR compiling service is pretty much the same as our career service center at UCSD. By the way, I am PCOM first year student already 😉
Dean's letter is not required. When I applied to PCOM last year, it says precisely to denote the name of the letter writer (Dean/advisor) in the space provided on the secondary application. I never had a "real" dean or advisor letter. I just put my research professor's name on there (indeed, he's my mentor throughout last two years at UCSD) and I was prepared to explain why I chose to put that letter as my advisor's letter. Well, they never questioned about it before/during/after my interview. So I guess that kind of letter was acceptable.
Yeah the comment about calling was directed more towards people who are unsure about whether or not they require a Dean's letter.
How's PA compared to CA?
How's PA compared to CA?
whats the deal has anyone else heard from pcom err
Yeah the comment about calling was directed more towards people who are unsure about whether or not they require a Dean's letter.
How's PA compared to CA?
I love CA more. I miss the chinese food in LA. LA's chinese food is unbeatable. Other than this, PA is just like anywhere else in US. lol
I love CA more. I miss the chinese food in LA. LA's chinese food is unbeatable. Other than this, PA is just like anywhere else in US. lol
Agreed...Arcadia has the best Chinese food; although, Pottsville, PA, has the best beer--Yuengling.
I sent in my PCOM and PCOM-GA supplementary applications 2 weeks ago. I called a week later to see if it was processed yet, and the guy from admissions made it seem like it was going to take waaaayyyy longer to go through (rather disheartening 🙁) So who knows...this is probably the most competitive DO school to get into, and it stinks that they take their time =P
How's PA compared to CA?
PA is super lame but Philadelphia area isn't that terrible. PA could never beat CA in awesomeness😍. I am speaking as a PA resident and a frequent CA visitor.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Agreed...Arcadia has the best Chinese food; although, Pottsville, PA, has the best beer--Yuengling.
Best beer??? To me...all beer tastes pretty much the same...lol
Arcadia has the best chinese food!!!??? Other than ding tai fung in Arcadia, i don't know any particularly good ones there. Wat about rowland heights, Monterey Park, San Gabriel...lol...but seriously, before I came to Phila, I heard the chinese food is acceptable in chinatown here. But now I gotta tell you, if you are from LA area, don't believe this rumor cuz u will be very disappointed 😉
lol, I've learned so much, about med school and other things 

You're after my heart. <3 Yuengling. I'm going to have to live in the Northeast after residency or going into withdrawal of not having it.Agreed...Arcadia has the best Chinese food; although, Pottsville, PA, has the best beer--Yuengling.
You're after my heart. <3 Yuengling. I'm going to have to live in the Northeast after residency or going into withdrawal of not having it.
Just dont do too far north...I had to have a friend who frequently made trips to NJ bring it to me when I lived in Maine. Now in Florida I can find it everywhere...
PCOM is giving me a hard time about the committee letter.
I did my post-bacc at a different university from the one where I received my B.S. The school where I did my post-bacc compiled my letters of recommendation with a letter from the Chair of the pre-health committee. However, PCOM wants a letter from my undergraduate university. This does not make any sense to me at all. I have 3.61, 3.52, 32 (sGPA/cGPA/MCAT) and this is what is keeping me from having a complete application. Unbelievable.
Did anyone else have this issue?
I did my post-bacc at a different university from the one where I received my B.S. The school where I did my post-bacc compiled my letters of recommendation with a letter from the Chair of the pre-health committee. However, PCOM wants a letter from my undergraduate university. This does not make any sense to me at all. I have 3.61, 3.52, 32 (sGPA/cGPA/MCAT) and this is what is keeping me from having a complete application. Unbelievable.
Did anyone else have this issue?
PCOM is giving me a hard time about the committee letter.
I did my post-bacc at a different university from the one where I received my B.S. The school where I did my post-bacc compiled my letters of recommendation with a letter from the Chair of the pre-health committee. However, PCOM wants a letter from my undergraduate university. This does not make any sense to me at all. I have 3.61, 3.52, 32 (sGPA/cGPA/MCAT) and this is what is keeping me from having a complete application. Unbelievable.
Did anyone else have this issue?
This does sound really...lame. My understanding is that they want a form letter stating that you are in good standing. As far as I know, you won't be issued your degree if you are not in good standing. Since you obtained a degree, which is easily verified, it seems silly to ask for a letter saying you were (past tense for you) in good standing. Perhaps this is not the case at all schools and some of them will let you have your degree when your not in good standing? Even typing that it just doesn't sound right.
It does seem like an extra hoop in a system filled with numerous hoops as it is. Good luck.
Last edited:
You're after my heart. <3 Yuengling. I'm going to have to live in the Northeast after residency or going into withdrawal of not having it.
Just dont do too far north...I had to have a friend who frequently made trips to NJ bring it to me when I lived in Maine. Now in Florida I can find it everywhere...
Yea, I find it amazing that I cannot find Yuengling anywhere in Michigan, but if you hit-up a bar in Key Largo, Fl, they will usually have it on tap.
I finished my last Black & Tan two nights ago. My parents were visiting my Grandmother (who has lived in Pottsville most of her life) and were nice enough to bring a few cases back.
Best beer??? To me...all beer tastes pretty much the same...lol
Arcadia has the best chinese food!!!??? Other than ding tai fung in Arcadia, i don't know any particularly good ones there. Wat about rowland heights, Monterey Park, San Gabriel...lol...but seriously, before I came to Phila, I heard the chinese food is acceptable in chinatown here. But now I gotta tell you, if you are from LA area, don't believe this rumor cuz u will be very disappointed 😉
The best Dim Sum is Full House off Golden West and Duarte, but I guess I have to concede that San Gabriel is probably better. Really good Cantonese food and the restaurant formally known as Sam Woo's is very solid--I ate there a few weeks ago.
All beer is not created equal.
bowlin123 where do you live? if you are from nyc area, i can help u find a DO
I haven't had any luck with D.O. shadowing either (have M.D. experience), and I do live in the NYC area. Will you still be able to help?
I received mine from the Georgia campus about a week ago but haven't gotten one from the Philly campus yet...did you guys get them on the same date?
Same thing here.. Still waiting for the Philly campus.
PCOM is giving me a hard time about the committee letter.
I did my post-bacc at a different university from the one where I received my B.S. The school where I did my post-bacc compiled my letters of recommendation with a letter from the Chair of the pre-health committee. However, PCOM wants a letter from my undergraduate university. This does not make any sense to me at all. I have 3.61, 3.52, 32 (sGPA/cGPA/MCAT) and this is what is keeping me from having a complete application. Unbelievable.
Did anyone else have this issue?
The same thing is happening to me. I had to contact the premed advisor for my undergraduate college, WHO DOESN'T KNOW ME to write a letter on my behalf. He said he could only write it based on my academic performance at the school. I told the person at PCOM that it wouldn't be a good letter because the person has no idea who I am, but she told me that the letter isn't suppose to be about character, just academic performance and that I can submit other letters from my graduate institution as supplemental letters. They CANNOT replace the letter that is supposed to come from a.) premed committee (which my school does not have) or b.) premed advisor or c.) an academic advisor All from your undergraduate institution.
It's really stupid and lame, but that's how it is...
The same thing is happening to me. I had to contact the premed advisor for my undergraduate college, WHO DOESN'T KNOW ME to write a letter on my behalf. He said he could only write it based on my academic performance at the school. I told the person at PCOM that it wouldn't be a good letter because the person has no idea who I am, but she told me that the letter isn't suppose to be about character, just academic performance and that I can submit other letters from my graduate institution as supplemental letters. They CANNOT replace the letter that is supposed to come from a.) premed committee (which my school does not have) or b.) premed advisor or c.) an academic advisor All from your undergraduate institution.
It's really stupid and lame, but that's how it is...
That's nuts.
I have other interviews lined up, so I think I'm just going to withdraw my application. I'll call and see if I can get them to reconsider, but I doubt I'll have any luck since they seem obsessed with this policy.
I told the person at PCOM that it wouldn't be a good letter because the person has no idea who I am, but she told me that the letter isn't suppose to be about character, just academic performance
Isnt that what TRANSCRIPTS are for? So you have to go hunt down someone just to have a very general letter submitted about you while all they have to do is look at your grades. That is weird. Who knows what system schools use to make he decisions they do.
I have been reading a lot of odd posts from various threads from last year. People not getting told something is deficient in their app until like 2 months before matriculation, while they already paid their NON-REFUNDABLE deposit money, and other things like that. It wasnt PCOM, though. Also, rescinding acceptance AFTER the deposit was paid because the school said they couldn't verify an EC a person had, while all they had to do was just contact the applicant for an alternate contact, because he had gotten the volunteer position through a different method, not officially through the office. This one really got me because some of my volunteer things I have I got like this.
You would think a school would follow up with you FIRST before taking drastic action if they discovered a problem. Hopefully that was isolated incident and there was probably more to the story than that. I bet there is.
Last edited:
The undergrad letter, as far as I know, is to show you weren't on academic probation, were able to graduate, etc. Its not a character letter and they won't judge your character based on it. It is an extra hurdle for some, but remember, there are going to be upwards of 9000 applications between PA and GA. If you don't submit the letter, they have plenty more people to pick from.
Also, I think rescinding your secondary because of this requirement is like cutting your nose off to spite your face. Its just going to hurt you. If you have the ability to get an interview here, you should get that interview because you won't be disappointed with the school.
Also, I think rescinding your secondary because of this requirement is like cutting your nose off to spite your face. Its just going to hurt you. If you have the ability to get an interview here, you should get that interview because you won't be disappointed with the school.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The undergrad letter, as far as I know, is to show you weren't on academic probation, were able to graduate, etc. Its not a character letter and they won't judge your character based on it. It is an extra hurdle for some, but remember, there are going to be upwards of 9000 applications between PA and GA. If you don't submit the letter, they have plenty more people to pick from.
Also, I think rescinding your secondary because of this requirement is like cutting your nose off to spite your face. Its just going to hurt you. If you have the ability to get an interview here, you should get that interview because you won't be disappointed with the school.
It sounds like a good school, but it's not one of my top choices. I just don't want to go through the process. But I agree with the post above, that is what transcripts are for.
did anyone receive a complete email? i called him and outta nowhere, im complete but i dont even know since when..
Happened to me too last year.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 437
- Views
- 132K
- Replies
- 652
- Views
- 174K
- Replies
- 130
- Views
- 36K
- Replies
- 181
- Views
- 27K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 21K